Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 43 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Black and Asian Irish people no longer counted as Irish?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Are Black and Asian Irish people no longer counted as Irish?

From an article in today's Irish Times

The headline

Almost 20% of Galway's citizens are non-Irish
    And the start of the article

ALMOST ONE-FIFTH of Galway city’s population describes itself as non-Irish in a new atlas of socio-economic trends.

Just over 78 per cent of residents are “white Irish”, while almost 2 per cent are “white Irish Traveller” and almost 3 per cent are “Black Irish”, the atlas published today by the Galway City Development Board states.

Almost 2 per cent are “Asian Irish” and just over 11 per cent are “other white”. Some 2 per cent of the population did not state what ethnic or cultural background it represented in the 2006 Census which was used to compile the atlas. The publication shows that population growth has levelled off somewhat in what has been described over the last decade as Europe’s fastest growing city of its size.
    Now, to me 78 + 2 + 3 + 2 = 85

So, 15% are non-Irish. And it's a stretch to call 15% nearly 20%.

And it's much closer to 1 in 6 or 1 in 7 than 1 in 5.

Is it too much to expect more from the Irish Times?
    Economic Left/Right: -2.88 (down 3.63 since the financial crash)
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.18

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not sure I understand your point, seeing as "Black Irish" and "Asian Irish" were both mentioned in the figures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why would they be classed as Irish anyway? That doesn't make sense and to me sound like an oxymoron

Black people are African in origin and not idigenous to this country, they are a separate cultural & ethnic group to the Native Irish.

The same applies for Asians aswell.......

Also a child born from Marriages are classed as Half-Irish........ just the same as if a child was born from a british mother/father and a foreign mother would be classed as Half-British.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It does seem to have been phrased in an alarmist, inaccurate way.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DaBrow View Post
    Why would they be classed as Irish anyway? That doesn't make sense and to me sound like an oxymoron
    have you got a map of your bloodline that we can see?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
    I'm not sure I understand your point, seeing as "Black Irish" and "Asian Irish" were both mentioned in the figures.

( How many of the "white other" are from other EU countries like Poland? Quite a few, I suspect ).
    The point is that the journalist/headline writer clearly classifies them as non-Irish when coming up with their figures.

It's saying that we don't really regard them as Irish, unless their background is properly white Irish.
    Economic Left/Right: -2.88 (down 3.63 since the financial crash)
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.18

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

those classific ations are desinged to respect the heritaged of the people as well as acknowldeging their Irishness.
    In Britain I am listed on such forms as Whhite-Irish-Biritish
    "Sometimes the best thing a government can do is simply get out of the way"-Vince Cable

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PAD10H View Post
    have you got a map of your bloodline that we can see?
    I have very small traces of Norman ancestry, but that doesn't make me french does it? Especially when that occured over 800 years ago and they intermarried continously with with the people of galway; Yes you heard me correctly. My people are from Galway originally.

Why the stupid question?

Any Ethnologist can quickly confirm that Asians and Blacks (AKA Africans) are completely different to any european ethnic background, especially the irish people.

So the term Asian-Irish or Black-Irish (Outside it's original meaning) is an oxymoron....... I knew a guy in Britain born there with a Pakistani Father and an Irish Mother, he didn't regard himself irish in anyway shape or form.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well.

a cursory look at the refcom add for lisbon clearly shows theres no irish black or asian people in the country

phil lynott must be spinning in his grave.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't think of people not born and raised here as Irish regardless of colour. No real hard rule on the issue, even accents help lean it one way or the other. Some of my nephews and nieces have English accents and live there and I think of them as English even though my sister thinks they are Irish.

Page 1 of 43 1234511 ... LastLast