Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gender pay gap vs Gender "danger" gap at work - why no focus on the latter?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Gender pay gap vs Gender "danger" gap at work - why no focus on the latter?

I posted the following in another thread.
    ====
    The same could be said about how feminists respond to suggestions that situations are unfair.

Nobody necessarily has a monopoly on understanding society. Different views need to be expressed.

Different views are not being expressed in the 3-D world on gender issues.
    In some cases, because people have been encouraged, through the educations system, to see society in one way (that there are no disadvantages that men face).

And also because discussion on gender issues tends to be stifled in the 3-D world.

To take an example of what problems there could be in how discussions are framed:
    It is simplistic to say that for example on average pay rates on different between men and women and to assume that means there is discrimination. It might mean or it might not mean there is discrimination - one has to look at other factors to see whether they might explain the difference.

And some of these factors might be the "danger" gap - that men are more likely to take on dangerous work that can lead to death and serious injury. But that "danger" gap isn't highlighted in discussions, people are expected to have discuss pay in a vacuum.

And the "disadvantage" women have, that they are taking home less pay on average is highlighted regularly in society.
    The "disadvantage" men have, that they are more likely to be killed and seriously injured at work, isn't highlighted regularly in society.

Also a more important issue than the pay gap might be to look at who gets to spend the money - and it seems women have more spending power than men. But this rarely seems to be discussed - we are supposed to look at the issue in a vacuum.

And I don't think feminists are the best people to bring balance to such a debate or many debates in society.
    =====

It was suggested that because the thread was going off-topic and bringing in all sorts of issues, that other threads should probably be set up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You are absolutely 100% right. dangerous jobs like the Gardai, A&E nurses etc should be paid more than traditionally well paid jobs like business analysts, stock analysts, executives etc.
    Finally you see sense
    “The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” -Bertrand Russell

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prester Jim View Post
    You are absolutely 100% right. dangerous jobs like the Gardai, A&E nurses etc should be paid more than traditionally well paid jobs like business analysts, stock analysts, executives etc.
    Finally you see sense
    I'm not sure where I discussed the salaries of Gardai, A&E nurses, business analysts, stock analysts, executives etc.

I did question the teachers' 12 weeks in a row off in the summer on full pay and whether that is an efficient system. Given you got angry at me in at least one of those threads, I imagine that is why you posted that message.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by belvoboy View Post
    I posted the following in another thread.
    ====
    The same could be said about how feminists respond to suggestions that situations are unfair.

Nobody necessarily has a monopoly on understanding society. Different views need to be expressed.

Different views are not being expressed in the 3-D world on gender issues.
    In some cases, because people have been encouraged, through the educations system, to see society in one way (that there are no disadvantages that men face).

And also because discussion on gender issues tends to be stifled in the 3-D world.

To take an example of what problems there could be in how discussions are framed:
    It is simplistic to say that for example on average pay rates on different between men and women and to assume that means there is discrimination. It might mean or it might not mean there is discrimination - one has to look at other factors to see whether they might explain the difference.

And some of these factors might be the "danger" gap - that men are more likely to take on dangerous work that can lead to death and serious injury. But that "danger" gap isn't highlighted in discussions, people are expected to have discuss pay in a vacuum.

And the "disadvantage" women have, that they are taking home less pay on average is highlighted regularly in society.
    The "disadvantage" men have, that they are more likely to be killed and seriously injured at work, isn't highlighted regularly in society.

Also a more important issue than the pay gap might be to look at who gets to spend the money - and it seems women have more spending power than men. But this rarely seems to be discussed - we are supposed to look at the issue in a vacuum.

And I don't think feminists are the best people to bring balance to such a debate or many debates in society.
    =====

It was suggested that because the thread was going off-topic and bringing in all sorts of issues, that other threads should probably be set up.
    Looking through the list of threads you have started might lead one to suspect that you have gender issues!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by uriah View Post
    Looking through the list of threads you have started might lead one to suspect that you have gender issues!
    Another teacher who was not happy with what I said when questioning teacher's pay and conditions - it's nice to have a fan base.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Another teacher who was not happy with what I said when questioning teacher's pay and conditions - it's nice to have a fan base.
    What are you talking about?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not sure where I discussed the salaries of Gardai, A&E nurses, business analysts, stock analysts, executives etc.

I did question the teachers' 12 weeks in a row off in the summer on full pay and whether that is an efficient system. Given you got angry at me in at least one of those threads, I imagine that is why you posted that message.
    Uh yeah, we teachers are out to get you. look behind you a SNA
    “The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” -Bertrand Russell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by uriah View Post
    What are you talking about?
    He has some issues with paranoia too.
    Anyhoo, I assume Belvo that you would say that more dangerous jobs should be paid more? than A&E nurses and Gardai should be paid more as they are demonstrably the most dangerous professions in Ireland.
    I agree with you. where is the issue?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Or is it that you are saying that whatever jobs you consider worthwhile (such as well whatever mysterious thing it is you do?) should be paid more regardless of danger or otherwise.

This objection would not apply in cases where a pay gap exists between men and women employed to do more or less the same sort of work, correct?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast