Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Ending Homelessness Public Meeting

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Ending Homelessness Public Meeting

    Dublin Sinn Féin will be holding a public meeting on the issue of ending homelessness in the Royal Dublin Hotel on Tuesday, December 19th at 7.30pm.
    Speakers at the event will include Fr Peter McVerry, Brendan Dowling from the Community Forum, Chris Meehan who was homeless for 25 years and Sinn Féin MEP Mary Lou McDonald.

    http://www.dublinsinnfein.com/events/2515
    To be a student and not a revolutionary is a contradiction.
    -Salvador Allende

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    more fantastic shinner spam. complete with that godawful logo

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    130
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Ending Homelessness Public Meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by pobail
    Dublin Sinn Féin will be holding a public meeting on the issue of ending homelessness in the Royal Dublin Hotel on Tuesday, December 19th at 7.30pm.
    Speakers at the event will include Fr Peter McVerry, Brendan Dowling from the Community Forum, Chris Meehan who was homeless for 25 years and Sinn Féin MEP Mary Lou McDonald.

    http://www.dublinsinnfein.com/events/2515
    I support anymove to end homelessness but i think we must acknowledge that the homelessness of today has more to do with medical condition as opposed to economic.
    Life is a beautiful magnificent thing, even to a jelly fish ~ Charlie Chaplin

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Antwaarpe
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Ending Homelessness Public Meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by jady88
    Quote Originally Posted by pobail
    Dublin Sinn Féin will be holding a public meeting on the issue of ending homelessness in the Royal Dublin Hotel on Tuesday, December 19th at 7.30pm.
    Speakers at the event will include Fr Peter McVerry, Brendan Dowling from the Community Forum, Chris Meehan who was homeless for 25 years and Sinn Féin MEP Mary Lou McDonald.

    http://www.dublinsinnfein.com/events/2515
    I support anymove to end homelessness but i think we must acknowledge that the homelessness of today has more to do with medical condition as opposed to economic.
    ??
    Can you elaborate?

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    130
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Ending Homelessness Public Meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by dealmachtigeier
    Quote Originally Posted by jady88
    Quote Originally Posted by pobail
    Dublin Sinn Féin will be holding a public meeting on the issue of ending homelessness in the Royal Dublin Hotel on Tuesday, December 19th at 7.30pm.
    Speakers at the event will include Fr Peter McVerry, Brendan Dowling from the Community Forum, Chris Meehan who was homeless for 25 years and Sinn Féin MEP Mary Lou McDonald.

    http://www.dublinsinnfein.com/events/2515
    I support anymove to end homelessness but i think we must acknowledge that the homelessness of today has more to do with medical condition as opposed to economic.
    ??
    Can you elaborate?
    As far as i am aware don't the huge majority of our homeless have mental problems? Not to mention drink.
    I am not to sure of a solution I believe we need to assist the mentally ill ones at least into some form of institution were they could get the care they needed and the drunks might be "rehabed"
    Life is a beautiful magnificent thing, even to a jelly fish ~ Charlie Chaplin

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Ending Homelessness Public Meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by jady88
    As far as i am aware don't the huge majority of our homeless have mental problems? Not to mention drink.
    I am not to sure of a solution I believe we need to assist the mentally ill ones at least into some form of institution were they could get the care they needed and the drunks might be "rehabed"
    to be honest i think thats an outrageous generalisation.

    all homeless people have problems that extend beyond the lack of a roof over their head. but to say that all of them are mentally ill or drunks is going too far

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    130
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Ending Homelessness Public Meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by rover
    Quote Originally Posted by jady88
    As far as i am aware don't the huge majority of our homeless have mental problems? Not to mention drink.
    I am not to sure of a solution I believe we need to assist the mentally ill ones at least into some form of institution were they could get the care they needed and the drunks might be "rehabed"
    to be honest i think thats an outrageous generalisation.

    all homeless people have problems that extend beyond the lack of a roof over their head. but to say that all of them are mentally ill or drunks is going too far
    I never said that they were all mentally ill or drunk, I was under the impression from reading about this topic that that was the case and if i am wrong then i wholeheartedly apologise.
    Life is a beautiful magnificent thing, even to a jelly fish ~ Charlie Chaplin

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    109
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I support anymove to end homelessness but i think we must acknowledge that the homelessness of today has more to do with medical condition as opposed to economic.
    I spent a number of years working with homeless psychiatric patients, to my mind there are a number of factors at the root of homelessness, none of which are easily solved. The primary cause in our catchment area was drug & alcohol dependency. These factors resulted in the patients developing psychiatric conditions. On the housing side we tried to assist patients...of the many we secured accommodation for only a tiny percentage stayed off the streets.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    in fact i think the biggest causes of homelessness among single men are release from prison/state care, and breakdown of marriage

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    It must be acknowledged that there are a myriad of reasons why people are homeless, they, like any other group, are not homogenous. But all problems can and should be dealt with, whether they be mental illness, addiction, economic or other. There is no justification for homelessness in an Ireland awash with money. And it's not just those on the streets, there are also many in emergency accomodation for long periods of time that also need to be adequately housed.
    The problem can be tackled, all it needs is the political will. Unfortunately homeless people don't vote and therefore their considerations are often ignored by the establishment parties.
    To be a student and not a revolutionary is a contradiction.
    -Salvador Allende

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •