Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ending Homelessness Public Meeting

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Ending Homelessness Public Meeting

Dublin Sinn Féin will be holding a public meeting on the issue of ending homelessness in the Royal Dublin Hotel on Tuesday, December 19th at 7.30pm.
    Speakers at the event will include Fr Peter McVerry, Brendan Dowling from the Community Forum, Chris Meehan who was homeless for 25 years and Sinn Féin MEP Mary Lou McDonald.

http://www.dublinsinnfein.com/events/2515
    To be a student and not a revolutionary is a contradiction.
    -Salvador Allende

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

more fantastic shinner spam. complete with that godawful logo

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Ending Homelessness Public Meeting

Quote Originally Posted by pobail
    Dublin Sinn Féin will be holding a public meeting on the issue of ending homelessness in the Royal Dublin Hotel on Tuesday, December 19th at 7.30pm.
    Speakers at the event will include Fr Peter McVerry, Brendan Dowling from the Community Forum, Chris Meehan who was homeless for 25 years and Sinn Féin MEP Mary Lou McDonald.

I support anymove to end homelessness but i think we must acknowledge that the homelessness of today has more to do with medical condition as opposed to economic.
    Life is a beautiful magnificent thing, even to a jelly fish ~ Charlie Chaplin

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jady88

I support anymove to end homelessness but i think we must acknowledge that the homelessness of today has more to do with medical condition as opposed to economic.
    ??
    Can you elaborate?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dealmachtigeier

??
    Can you elaborate?
    As far as i am aware don't the huge majority of our homeless have mental problems? Not to mention drink.
    I am not to sure of a solution I believe we need to assist the mentally ill ones at least into some form of institution were they could get the care they needed and the drunks might be "rehabed"

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As far as i am aware don't the huge majority of our homeless have mental problems? Not to mention drink.
    I am not to sure of a solution I believe we need to assist the mentally ill ones at least into some form of institution were they could get the care they needed and the drunks might be "rehabed"
    to be honest i think thats an outrageous generalisation.

all homeless people have problems that extend beyond the lack of a roof over their head. but to say that all of them are mentally ill or drunks is going too far

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rover
    to be honest i think thats an outrageous generalisation.

all homeless people have problems that extend beyond the lack of a roof over their head. but to say that all of them are mentally ill or drunks is going too far
    I never said that they were all mentally ill or drunk, I was under the impression from reading about this topic that that was the case and if i am wrong then i wholeheartedly apologise.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I spent a number of years working with homeless psychiatric patients, to my mind there are a number of factors at the root of homelessness, none of which are easily solved. The primary cause in our catchment area was drug & alcohol dependency. These factors resulted in the patients developing psychiatric conditions. On the housing side we tried to assist patients...of the many we secured accommodation for only a tiny percentage stayed off the streets.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

in fact i think the biggest causes of homelessness among single men are release from prison/state care, and breakdown of marriage

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It must be acknowledged that there are a myriad of reasons why people are homeless, they, like any other group, are not homogenous. But all problems can and should be dealt with, whether they be mental illness, addiction, economic or other. There is no justification for homelessness in an Ireland awash with money. And it's not just those on the streets, there are also many in emergency accomodation for long periods of time that also need to be adequately housed.
    The problem can be tackled, all it needs is the political will. Unfortunately homeless people don't vote and therefore their considerations are often ignored by the establishment parties.
    To be a student and not a revolutionary is a contradiction.
    -Salvador Allende

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast