Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Soden's lone parent remark sparks outrage-Irish Examiner.

Politics.ie Member powderfinger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Mike Soden's lone parent remark sparks outrage-Irish Examiner.

Scott Millar writes in the Irish Examiner today that former Bank Of Ireland Chief Executive,Mike Soden has refused to back down on remarks made concerning his views on lone parents.
    The social commentary came from Soden's appearance as an expert panellist on Vincent Browne's TV3 programme on 16/09/09.

Addressing Rita Fagan,a fellow panellist,who was involved with the collapsed urban regeneration scheme at St.Michaels Estate(a failed ppp venture with Nama bound developer Bernard McNamara),Soden stated:

"I don't believe our society should carry the burden."
    | Irish Examiner

Mr Soden made the remarks on TV3’s Tonight with Vincent Browne on Wednesday night while defending the Government’s NAMA plan to buy €54 billion of toxic loans from the banks. Speaking to the Irish Examiner yesterday Mr Soden said that if people choose the single parent family life they have to be responsible for themselves and not depend on the state. He added that he found it "aggravating" that single mothers who had "not just one, but two or three children" expected State support.

"If that offends people I’m sorry but I will not retract," the former bank chief said.

Last edited by powderfinger; 18th September 2009 at 01:56 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by powderfinger View Post
    Scott Millar writes in the Irish Examiner today that former Bank Of Ireland Chief Executive,Mike Soden has refused back down on remarks concerning his views on lone parents.
    The social commentary came from Soden's appearance as an expert panellist on Vincent Browne's TV3 programme on 16/09/09.

Addressing Rita Fagan,a fellow panellist,who was involved with the collapsed urban regeneration scheme at St.Michaels Estate(a failed ppp venture with Nama bound developer Bernard McNamara),Soden stated:

| Irish Examiner

Soden's performance was really nauseating.
    On a desperately hard day for all taxpayers and lower income people in particular he should have been humble.
    He wasn't, he was arrogant smug, elitist and grinned for pretty much the whole programme.
    His attitude towards Rita Fagan was far worse.
    Insulting, superior and mocking.
    She said late in the programme something like "I came on this programme to..."
    and Soden uninvited (as if he was the host) says "and Rita we are delighted to have you on"
    I nearly put my foot through the screen, it was one of the most blatantly condescending elitist remarks I have ever heard on TV.
    But it spoke volumes for how Soden and the upper echelons of Irish business view themselves despite having crippled the country.

"You are scobie scum and you should kiss my feet for even being allowed sit beside me"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just as well someone is having kids. We need them to carry on paying the debts of Mr Soden and his friends in the banks. Seeing as though their kids, if they are chips off the old block, won't give a rashers about anyone else but themselves.

You'd think he'd be grateful for people who provide the debt-servicing slaves of the future.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mike Soden - the man behind the plan to merge AIB and BOI once upon a time causing the unemployment of 100's until he slipped himself up. Mr. Soden is a has been.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I did not see the interview, but I do think Soden has a point about lone mothers, it is wrong for the state (taxpayers) to be expected to pay for their infidelity. The State needs to go after the fathers and make them pay for their kids.
    There's a lot to be said for the fellow who doesn't say it himself. -- Maurice Switzer

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FrankSpeaks View Post
    I did not see the interview, but I do think Soden has a point about lone mothers, it is wrong for the state (taxpayers) to be expected to pay for their infidelity. The State needs to go after the fathers and make them pay for their kids.
    No problem with chasing the dads. What if they have no funds either?
    Do we leave the kids starving?
    Seems a bit cruel especially in a society where we think its okay to pay for the irresponsibility of bankers over property.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't think we should have to bear the burdon of paying for Mike Soden's time in Mountjoy prison Theft and treason, but it's in society's best interest that he be locked away, just like it's in society's best interest that we support children from low income families so that they have chance to grow up and become healthy and productive members of society.
    Actual morality is doing what is right regardless of what you're told. Religious morality is doing what you're told, regardless of if it's right.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Infidelity - the action or state of being unfaithful to a spouse or other sexual partner. Then they wouldn't be lone parents would they. Death to the infidel

Politics.ie Member The Field Marshal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Agree.

One mistake is ok, everyone understands.

But if thick stupid women keep on having clutches of brats outside wedlock why should they be funded in their irresponsible behavior by the taxpaypayer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Field Marshal View Post
    Agree.

One mistake is ok, everyone understands.

But if thick stupid women keep on having clutches of brats outside wedlock why should they be funded in their irresponsible behavior by the taxpaypayer.
    Sweet jesus

Incidentally, where do you stand on abortion?
    Voters don't decide issues, they decide who will decide issues.

George Will

Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast