Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 253

Thread: Euro is "on way to parity" with £ - last one out please turn off the lights

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member White Horse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dundalk
    Posts
    7,054
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Euro is "on way to parity" with £ - last one out please turn off the lights

    The euro is now likely to hit parity against the pound sterling by early next year as investors borrow at low cost in the UK to buy higher yielding assets, according to BNP Paribas. The warning as come as the single currency climbs to within a sliver of 90p against the British currency. This morning it was making 89.95p in early trade.
    "Sterling is likely to be the weakest currency in town followed by the U.S. dollar," analysts led by Hans-Guenter Redeker, London-based global head of currency strategy at BNP Paribas, wrote in a note to clients yesterday.
    "The US dollar has been used as a funding and a reserve currency simultaneously, suggesting the US dollar will depreciate less than sterling."

    fxcentre Breaking News

    Good news for cheap Christmas booze to wash away those FF NAMA blues. However, parity would be devastating for employment, particularly in agriculture.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    650
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    More christmas cheer for the cross border shoppers,more cringing and whinging by our bailout government.
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    The euro is now likely to hit parity against the pound sterling by early next year as investors borrow at low cost in the UK to buy higher yielding assets, according to BNP Paribas. The warning as come as the single currency climbs to within a sliver of 90p against the British currency. This morning it was making 89.95p in early trade.
    "Sterling is likely to be the weakest currency in town followed by the U.S. dollar," analysts led by Hans-Guenter Redeker, London-based global head of currency strategy at BNP Paribas, wrote in a note to clients yesterday.
    "The US dollar has been used as a funding and a reserve currency simultaneously, suggesting the US dollar will depreciate less than sterling."

    fxcentre Breaking News

    Good news for cheap Christmas booze to wash away those FF NAMA blues. However, parity would be devastating for employment, particularly in agriculture.
    A champion of the people emerges with the age-old and appealing promise of "something for nothing" - to be financed through every-increasing taxes. Supply and demand are thrown out of gear - the overhead goes up; the effective use of human energy goes down; the standard of living is lowered because money cannot buy wealth that is not produced.

    WEAVER, HENRY GRADY,

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member Pauli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Pfäffikon, Kanton Schwyz, Switzerland.
    Posts
    1,181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    We are still only at 90P. And there will be a lot of factors influencing this as we head towards Christmas, starting with the German general election in 9 days. The dollar will have a role to play but the trend is clear enough. The booze runs to the North in December should be plentiful and expect the Tanaiste to call us traitors for taking her predessors advice to "Shop around".
    Fianna Fail - The Loss of Sovereignty Party.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The likely victory of the Tories in next year's GE in the UK will drive sterling up it always does, that's how the punt broke the connection!

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    252
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    The euro is now likely to hit parity against the pound sterling by early next year as investors borrow at low cost in the UK to buy higher yielding assets, according to BNP Paribas. The warning as come as the single currency climbs to within a sliver of 90p against the British currency. This morning it was making 89.95p in early trade.
    "Sterling is likely to be the weakest currency in town followed by the U.S. dollar," analysts led by Hans-Guenter Redeker, London-based global head of currency strategy at BNP Paribas, wrote in a note to clients yesterday.
    "The US dollar has been used as a funding and a reserve currency simultaneously, suggesting the US dollar will depreciate less than sterling."

    fxcentre Breaking News

    Good news for cheap Christmas booze to wash away those FF NAMA blues. However, parity would be devastating for employment, particularly in agriculture.
    Ah well now, you say that.....but....

    I have it on good authority that all we need to do is Vote Yes to Lisbon and all of Irelands economic woes will vanish into thin air. Awaiting us on the other side is a financial Utopia of full employment and juicy bonuses. I haven't read the small print yet, but I think it has something to do with a national force field that will protect us against any exterior financial mis-haps which may happen around the globe. Prrettty clever if you ask me.

    On the basis of recent polls; i've already bought a lovely new 2 door Saab for myself and a purple Lotus Elise for the wife.....both on higher
    purchase/finance

    I know it sounds hard to believe but there's posters all over my street testifying to the fact. I kid u not.
    Last edited by Illustro; 18th September 2009 at 10:23 AM.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."

    Thomas Jefferson

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    650
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Wink

    Ah go now ,I think you are kiddin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Illustro View Post
    Ah well now, you say that.....but....

    I have it on good authority that all we need to do is Vote Yes to Lisbon and all of Irelands economic woes will vanish into thin air. Awaiting us on the other side is a financial Utopia of full employment and juicy bonuses. I haven't read the small print yet, but I think it has something to do with a national force field that will protect us against any exterior financial mis-haps which may happen around the globe. Prrettty clever if you ask me.

    On the basis of recent polls; i've already bought a lovely new 2 door Saab for myself and a purple Lotus Elise for the wife.....both on higher
    purchase/finance

    I know it sounds hard to believe but there's posters all over my street testifying to the fact. I kid u not.
    A champion of the people emerges with the age-old and appealing promise of "something for nothing" - to be financed through every-increasing taxes. Supply and demand are thrown out of gear - the overhead goes up; the effective use of human energy goes down; the standard of living is lowered because money cannot buy wealth that is not produced.

    WEAVER, HENRY GRADY,

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member seabhcan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    14,309
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Endoftheworldasweknowit View Post
    The likely victory of the Tories in next year's GE in the UK will drive sterling up it always does, that's how the punt broke the connection!
    Eh?

    Nothing to do with us joining ERM 11 years before the British?

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Dublin South Central
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    A strong GBP could be good for Nama given we'll soon own lots of UK property. Parity or better with GBP could mitigate some of the losses elsewhere.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    650
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    No good for our exports to the UK.Will be interesting to see will retail prices for imported goods start rising in Britland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdfest View Post
    A strong GBP could be good for Nama given we'll soon own lots of UK property. Parity or better with GBP could mitigate some of the losses elsewhere.
    A champion of the people emerges with the age-old and appealing promise of "something for nothing" - to be financed through every-increasing taxes. Supply and demand are thrown out of gear - the overhead goes up; the effective use of human energy goes down; the standard of living is lowered because money cannot buy wealth that is not produced.

    WEAVER, HENRY GRADY,

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member TradCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I don't drink any more so it doesn't affect me directly but if booze is the main driver of cross-border shopping then surely an excise duty cut would offset the advantage and keep spending in the state. Why not just do it?

    If the booze is as cheap here people won't bother going north for the tins of biscuits.

    We often here BS about Ireland Inc. but this is one example where we refuse to respond like a business and compete.

Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •