Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Collins-movie

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Michael Collins-movie

A couple of weeks ago the film "Michael Collins" was shown on the Finnish TV. A very interesting film.

However, I wonder whether the film has caused uproar in Ireland at the time it came out as the film depicts Collins as a hero thinking of the interests of all the Irish while De Valera in the film is depicted to be something of a double-faced, backstabbing scheming bastard.

Some probably say that the film was, what you call, a production of West-Brit imagination, not reality.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Michael Collins-movie

Quote Originally Posted by THR
    A couple of weeks ago the film "Michael Collins" was shown on the Finnish TV. A very interesting film.

However, I wonder whether the film has caused uproar in Ireland at the time it came out as the film depicts Collins as a hero thinking of the interests of all the Irish while De Valera in the film is depicted to be something of a double-faced, backstabbing scheming b******.

Some probably say that the film was, what you call, a production of West-Brit imagination, not reality.
    I thought that it depicted DeValera more as a self-serving, mean-spirited and cowardly b****** but then the truth hurts!
    "You want fame? Well, fame costs. And right here is where you start paying........"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

However, I wonder whether the film has caused uproar in Ireland at the time it came out as the film depicts Collins as a hero thinking of the interests of all the Irish while De Valera in the film is depicted to be something of a double-faced, backstabbing scheming b******.

It caused some contraversey at the time. One politician thought it might have added 2% to the FG vote in the 1997 general election.

The Collins/de Valera dynamic in the film would reflect the FG point of view as well as that of many neutrals. FFer's would not agree of course!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think people left the cinema with the same views as when they entered.
    I found myself by the end of the film, very sympathetic to those who executed Collins. Much as I felt pre-film. It did paint a poor picture of Dev(mainly because he's a popular hate figure, and almost cool to criticise him) I felt Dev was correct in his handling of the Treaty, and was correct to reject it. However, by the 30s and 40's, he hunted and jailed Republicans. Poacher turned gamekeeper. But this is a common trait of Republican leaders to the present day.
    Just 1 gram of cocaine destroys 4m2 of tropical rainforest. Give it up ya selfish b'stards.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

De Valera in the film is depicted to be something of a double-faced, backstabbing scheming b******.
    a fairly accurate dipiction if ask me.
    "Great minds talk about ideas; mediocre minds talk about events; small minds talk about people"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alliance
    De Valera in the film is depicted to be something of a double-faced, backstabbing scheming b******.
    Name a politician who isn't? Just one.
    Just 1 gram of cocaine destroys 4m2 of tropical rainforest. Give it up ya selfish b'stards.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It was a production of FG imagination, not reality. Jordan openly admitted as much, his was a “FG house”.
    If you’re looking for a nuanced view of Dev, you must look elsewhere I’m afraid. What you’ll get here from most FG’ers at least (Limerick Lad etc) is the usual childish black & white nonsense. I would respect both Collins and Dev equally. In the end they took different sides, but that had more to do with circumstances than ideals.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For such an eventful time in Irish history - this was both a disapointing and boring film.

Julia Roberts and her Oirish accent.

depicts Collins as a hero thinking of the interests of all the Irish while De Valera in the film is depicted to be something of a double-faced, backstabbing scheming b******.
    Very black and white concepts behind the story.

Very much simplified for the international audience.
    When i think of the people who vote for SF/IRA, i think of Germany in 1933.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Julia Roberts makes me cringe with embarrassment for her.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bogwarrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Alliance
    Name a politician who isn't? Just one.
    I think Dev was an idealist as a young man. He put his life on the line many times and as a POW he defied the prison authorites at every turn. The treaty would have been rejected by those who took their oath to the Republic seriously, regardless of what position Dev took. Dev stood by his Republican principals during the civil war. But, sadly, as we see in our own time, the lure of power is very tempting to a man of extraordinary ability. They go into the British system fully confident that they can change it. But it is not the system which changes. By their very entering the enemy system they have changed and lost their Republican position. After that it is a very well trodden slippery slope to defending that system to the point of hunting down Republicans and murdering them.

Neill Jorden is something of a victim of his time. It was a time when many Irish wanted to turn their backs on what is happening in the six counties and were looking for a justification for this selfish attitude.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast