Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 76

Thread: Latvian and Lithuanian crime in Ireland

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Twin Towers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,874
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Latvian and Lithuanian crime in Ireland

    We hear lots about the "brain drain" to Ireland from the accession states but nothing of the "stain drain"

    Does anybody know if the Latvian and Lithuanian authorities inform gardai if people with criminal records in these countries are coming to Ireland. Or are they just glad to have them of their patch.

    Do irish citizens have less right to protection from the import of foreign crime elements than U.S. citizens for instance.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,961
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    To be honest I was quite shocked at recent crime stats in my area of Swords, north County Dublin.
    The Gardai have said that 20% of all crime recorded in that station is commited by non-nationals.
    I asked if it was because the jurisdictions they have come from are maybe a bit lax about things liek car insurance, tax, drink-driving etc etc but I was told that ,no, it was actually much stricter in these countries.

    I was disheartnening to hear because I could see a couple of people whom I know to be quite anti-immigrant, were smugly grinning with that "I told you so" look on the face.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hiker
    To be honest I was quite shocked at recent crime stats in my area of Swords, north County Dublin.
    The Gardai have said that 20% of all crime recorded in that station is commited by non-nationals.
    I asked if it was because the jurisdictions they have come from are maybe a bit lax about things liek car insurance, tax, drink-driving etc etc but I was told that ,no, it was actually much stricter in these countries.
    indicates a certain lack of respect wouldn't you think?
    "Public opinion will be led to adopt, without knowing it, the proposals that we dare not present to them directly ...."
    - V.Giscard D'Estaing, 14 June 2007

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,961
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sackville
    Quote Originally Posted by hiker
    To be honest I was quite shocked at recent crime stats in my area of Swords, north County Dublin.
    The Gardai have said that 20% of all crime recorded in that station is commited by non-nationals.
    I asked if it was because the jurisdictions they have come from are maybe a bit lax about things liek car insurance, tax, drink-driving etc etc but I was told that ,no, it was actually much stricter in these countries.
    indicates a certain lack of respect wouldn't you think?
    I'm not sure. Motoring offences make up a significant proportion of recorded crime as does Alcohol related offences.ie getting into a scrap after a skinful and not running away when the Police come.

    It might indicate that the general cost of living is too tight for immigrants and they are cutting corners by not paying for car insurance, tax or NCT/VRT.

    The number cases of non-nationals, particularly east Europeans, that are brought to court for being drunk in a public place would indicate that they have an alcohol problem similar to our own.

    If figures ever show that burgalries, muggings and vandalism is being carried out by non-nationals, then you might have a point.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Limerick East
    Posts
    4,610
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Latvian and Lithuanian crime in Ireland

    Quote Originally Posted by Twin Towers
    Does anybody know if the Latvian and Lithuanian authorities inform gardai if people with criminal records in these countries are coming to Ireland. Or are they just glad to have them of their patch.
    One could ask the question do the Gardai inform the relevant authorities on the Spanish Costa's and in Amsterdam when our drug lords move their base of operations from here to escape the attentions of the CAB.

    This would appear to be a xenophobic topic dressed up in sheep's clothing.
    "You want fame? Well, fame costs. And right here is where you start paying........"

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,961
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The topic is of interest from another perspective.

    I have great faith in the future of EUROPOL

    If ever a Union need a Federal Police Force its the European Union. I feel its imperative that this organisation be given greater resources to combat cross-border crime within the EU.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    KERRY
    Posts
    1,525
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Latvian and Lithuanian crime in Ireland

    Quote Originally Posted by Twin Towers
    We hear lots about the "brain drain" to Ireland from the accession states but nothing of the "stain drain"

    Does anybody know if the Latvian and Lithuanian authorities inform gardai if people with criminal records in these countries are coming to Ireland. Or are they just glad to have them of their patch.

    Do irish citizens have less right to protection from the import of foreign crime elements than U.S. citizens for instance.
    Why stop at Latvian and Lithuanian. The guy they arrested yesterday for the Kilkenny of the postmaster is Chinese! Where did a Chinese guy get a handgun? It was hardly from the IRA!

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member A_man_about_a_dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Latvian and Lithuanian crime in Ireland

    Quote Originally Posted by Limerick Lad
    One could ask the question do the Gardai inform the relevant authorities on the Spanish Costa's and in Amsterdam when our drug lords move their base of operations from here to escape the attentions of the CAB.
    The Gardaí actually do inform the Spanish authorities and the Dutch authorities.
    Did nobody watch the programme last year on the Penguin?

    One of the main problems with Irish criminals going to Holland or Spain (or where ever else) is that alot of the time when the Gardaí inform the authorities in the other countries, they get told that they have bigger, more dangerous criminals to catch, who are sometimes Dutch or Spanish nationals, naturally meaning they recieve their attention first.

    I'm sure those toe-rags Suggs and Coates were seen as small fry compared to some of the felons who litter the Spanish costas.
    Economic Left/Right: -2.00
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.88

    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask why not?
    G.B Shaw

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member Twin Towers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,874
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Latvian and Lithuanian crime in Ireland

    Quote Originally Posted by Limerick Lad
    xenophobic
    xenophobic really?

    I am sure the gardai hear of Latvians and Lithuanians who are on the run from these countries and may be here. But for those "with form" or newly released , are we informed of their arrival on our shores?

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member TheBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Latvian and Lithuanian crime in Ireland

    Quote Originally Posted by Twin Towers
    Does anybody know if the Latvian and Lithuanian authorities inform gardai if people with criminal records in these countries are coming to Ireland. Or are they just glad to have them of their patch.

    Do irish citizens have less right to protection from the import of foreign crime elements than U.S. citizens for instance.
    To go to the US, you need a visa. To come to Ireland from Lithuania or Latvia, you need nothing more than a means of transport. The authorities need never know your destination, or even your intention to leave the country.

    Not making excuses, just giving a practical explanation of why such information is not necessarily passed on about people who happen to get into a scrap after a night on the sauce.
    Heavy words are so lightly thrown.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •