Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: IRA Volunteer Tom McFeely

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default IRA Volunteer Tom McFeely

Read a piece in the Irish Times this morning about Tom McFeely, an ex-IRA volunteer and now director of a building company, having proceedings initiated against his company by Offaly County Council for failing to finish a housing estate in Portarlington, Na Cluainte estate, two years after the last of 85 houses was finished.

One woman living in the estate is quoted as saying that her back garden was under two feet of water during the winter months and she cannot let her three year old daughter out in case she'd drown. Another says that temporary fencing erected four years ago is still there and McFeely's trucks are still going in and out of the supposed green area which they describe as a cross between a swamp and a building site.

A spokesperson for McFeely's company is quoted as rejecting the residents' criticisms.

Don't know if Mr McFeely is a still a member of 'the Republican movement' but was wondering if any SF supporters on politics.ie could use whatever influence they have to sort it out? This is huge problem up and down the country in the newer estates.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: IRA Volunteer Tom McFeely

Quote Originally Posted by woodie
    Read a piece in the Irish Times this morning about Tom McFeely, an ex-IRA volunteer and now director of a building company, having proceedings initiated against his company by Offaly County Council for failing to finish a housing estate in Portarlington, Na Cluainte estate, two years after the last of 85 houses was finished.

One woman living in the estate is quoted as saying that her back garden was under two feet of water during the winter months and she cannot let her three year old daughter out in case she'd drown. Another says that temporary fencing erected four years ago is still there and McFeely's trucks are still going in and out of the supposed green area which they describe as a cross between a swamp and a building site.

A spokesperson for McFeely's company is quoted as rejecting the residents' criticisms.

Don't know if Mr McFeely is a still a member of 'the Republican movement' but was wondering if any SF supporters on politics.ie could use whatever influence they have to sort it out? This is huge problem up and down the country in the newer estates.
    No doubt all the companies building these new estates up and down the country are directed by ex-IRA Volunteers.

I don’t think Tom is a member of Sinn Féin, or the wider republican family.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tom McFeely has nothing to do with Sinn Féin.

Over 15,000 men and women went to prison for republican offences since the early 70s. Not all of them are members of Sinn Féin, some oppose the party and others, like Tom, aren't political anymore.

The flooding wasn't officially sanctioned.
    "Our revenge will be the slaughter of their children."

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brenners'
    I don’t think Tom is a member of Sinn Féin, or the wider republican family.

Is he the former hunger striker?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes he is. From the 1980 Hunger Strike.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cain1798
    Tom McFeely has nothing to do with Sinn Féin.

Over 15,000 men and women went to prison for republican offences since the early 70s. Not all of them are members of Sinn Féin, some oppose the party and others, like Tom, aren't political anymore.
    How do you know he's not political? I'm sure he has strong personal views. He wouldn't be too fond of Adams' strategy thats for sure.
    Just 1 gram of cocaine destroys 4m2 of tropical rainforest. Give it up ya selfish b'stards.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bogwarrior
    How do you know he's not political? I'm sure he has strong personal views. He wouldn't be too fond of Adams' strategy thats for sure.
    I meant he's not politically involved. And as far as I know from people who know and knew him, that's the case. What's your evidence for the claim on the strategy?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cain1798
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogwarrior
    I meant he's not politically involved. And as far as I know from people who know and knew him, that's the case. What's your evidence for the claim on the strategy?
    Cain,
    You should know well by now that BW believes any former republican activist who is not a vouched for member of SF, is 'not too fond of the strategy'. If they're unlucky enough to be dead, then they definitely don't. Apparently death has a radicalising effect on republicans.
    "John Bull has got his hand down your pants and his fist around your bollox and you can't see it."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast