Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Legalisation of Cannabis

Politics.ie Member A_man_about_a_dog's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Legalisation of Cannabis

Before I get branded as a tree hugging hippy or a stoner, I am not. I simply think that it is about time this topic was raised so as to allow proper debate on it.

Cannabis, as we all know, is a naturally occuring drug. It is far less harmful then alcohol or tobacco, proved by the fact that there has never been a cannabis related death recorded anywhere in the world. If cannabis were to be legalised there would be a huge amount of revenue generated for the economy, not to mention the taxes which could be made. It has been estimated that approximately a quarter of the Irish population have smoked cannabis at some stage in their lifetime with approx 5% smoking it on a regualr basis.

If we make the assumption that each regular user smokes half an oz. a week, priced at about 50, and based on the figure of 5% of the population (roughly 200,000 people), we are talking 10,000,000 a week in revenue from the sale of cannabis. If it were to be legalised, and taxed at about 20%, it works out at a tax revenue of 2,000,000. And remeber that is only regular users, if we were to do more elborate calculations including occassional users the figure woud naturally rise.

Even if we are to step away from the economics of legalisation and look at the positive effects of legalisation there are benefits to be seen. Firstly, with legalistation and strict controls on imports, the industry would be taken out of the hands of low-life crimnals who make a fortune from it at the moment. Secondly, it would also offer a less harmful alternative than alcohol or tobacco. Compared with the agression and violence which can often be seen on Dublin's street relating to alcohol, I have never heard of cannabis fueled violence and would be very surprised if anyone can offer any evidence suggesting otherwise. I cannot find any figures for the amount of money spent treating alcohol related illnesses and injuries in A&E's but as cannabis is non-toxic it cannot be said to account for any A&E admissions, nor have any been reported.

Here is a link to NORML, a group based in America who are trying to reform marijuana laws both there and across the Westen world:
    http://www.norml.org

So, what are your views on the topic of legalisation?
    Economic Left/Right: -2.00
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.88

Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask why not?
    G.B Shaw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

<Mod>Moved to Justice.</Mod>
    Heavy words are so lightly thrown.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Legalisation of Cannabis

Quote Originally Posted by A_man_about_a_dog
    It is far less harmful then alcohol or tobacco, proved by the fact that there has never been a cannabis related death recorded anywhere in the world.
    I assume you mean death by a related disease. Aren't a lot of road traffic accidents attributed to cannabis?

based on the figure of 5% of the population (roughly 20,000 people),
    Dude, all that hash has stewed your brain. 5% of 4-5 million is 200 - 250 thousand.

I agree. The ban on recreative drugs is counter productive.
    'The monster is in thine eye'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moogie
    I assume you mean death by a related disease. Aren't a lot of road traffic accidents attributed to cannabis?
    No, alot of road accident aren't attributed to cannabis. The fact that someone has cannabis in their blood is not an indicator that it has been a direct cause of an accident. Drugs such as cannabis can be detected in the blood for anything up to 3 weeks. So the answer to your statement is no.

As for my figures, mistake, will edit them.
    Hash melted my brain? I'd be fairly certain I have a higher IQ than you.
    Republican ideology melted yours?

Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask why not?
    G.B Shaw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moogie
    Is it not true that fatigue plays a role in as many accidents as drink?
    I can guarantee that far less accidents are to do with cannabis than either drink or fatigue.

Also, if you actually took the time to check the link on the post, you will find that one of the main principles of resonsible cannabis use is "no driving". Also on the NORML site are numerous links to various studies which conclude that cannabis is much safer than alcohol, and prescription drugs, in a driving situation.
    Dont get me wrong, I am not saying "its ok to smoke and drive", I am simply saying that research has found it to be safer than alcohol and perscription drugs.

G.B Shaw

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hash melted my brain? I'd be fairly certain I have a higher IQ than you.
    I don't really take much heed of IQ as a measure of Intelligence although I have scored between 150 and 170 on the few that I have taken. (None in the last 5 or so years I must add)

Republican ideology melted yours?
    Far from it. Republicanism encourages reading, debate and other activities that exercise the old noggin.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Before I get branded as a tree hugging hippy or a stoner, I am not. I simply think that it is about time this topic was raised so as to allow proper debate on it.

Cannabis, as we all know, is a naturally occuring drug
    so's snake vemon
    . It is far less harmful then alcohol or tobacco, proved by the fact that there has never been a cannabis related death recorded anywhere in the world.

Cannabis link to mental illness strengthened

The link between regular cannabis use and later depression and schizophrenia has been significantly strengthened by three new studies.
    The studies provide "little support" for an alternative explanation - that people with mental illnesses self-medicate with marijuana - according to Joseph Rey and Christopher Tennant of the University of Sydney, who have written an editorial on the papers in the British Medical Journal.
    One of the key conclusions of the research is that people who start smoking cannabis as adolescents are at the greatest risk of later developing mental health problems. Another team calculates that eliminating cannabis use in the UK population could reduce cases of schizophrenia by 13 per cent.
    Marijuana smokers have 'brains like schizophrenics'

I cannot find any figures for the mount of money spent treating alcohol related illnesses and injuries in A&E's but as cannabis is non-toxic it cannot be said to account for any A&E admissions, nor have any been reported.
    Respiratory Effects of Marijuana and Tobacco Use in a U.S. Sample

Conclusion: The impact of marijuana smoking on respiratory health has some significant similarities to that of tobacco smoking. Efforts to prevent and reduce marijuana use, such as advising patients to quit and providing referrals for support and assistance, may have substantial public health benefits associated with decreased respiratory health problems
    and that's not looking too hard for contrary scientific evidence.
    "Public opinion will be led to adopt, without knowing it, the proposals that we dare not present to them directly ...."
    - V.Giscard D'Estaing, 14 June 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sackville

Cannabis link to mental illness strengthened

The link between regular cannabis use and later depression and schizophrenia has been significantly strengthened by three new studies.
    [quote:37ce8x7f] The studies provide "little support" for an alternative explanation - that people with mental illnesses self-medicate with marijuana - according to Joseph Rey and Christopher Tennant of the University of Sydney, who have written an editorial on the papers in the British Medical Journal.

Respiratory Effects of Marijuana and Tobacco Use in a U.S. Sample

Conclusion: The impact of marijuana smoking on respiratory health has some significant similarities to that of tobacco smoking. Efforts to prevent and reduce marijuana use, such as advising patients to quit and providing referrals for support and assistance, may have substantial public health benefits associated with decreased respiratory health problems
    [/quote:37ce8x7f]

I accept the evidence linking cannabis smoking with respiratory illness, but, what alot of these reports do not take into account is that the majority of cannabis smokers put both cannabis and tobacco into their 'joints'. So if a cannabis smoker is also a cigarette smoker then they are obviously going to be at a higher risk of respiratory illness.

As for the mental illness issues, I have spoken in depth with many psychologists and pharmapsychologists (will studying psychology in college) about the realation bewteen cannabis use and mental issues. Many agree that it is self medication which accounts for large portions of the patients which these studies take into account. Also there is new research which says it contains "concrete" evidence that schizophrenia is caused by a biological predisposition. (see link)

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... A96E948260

I do not argue with any of the studies which you cite, but, there is the exact same, if not more, of an illness risk from alcohol and cigarettes. Lung cancer, liver cancer, throat cancer, liver and kidney failure to name only the most obvious.
    The most shocking thing is that I can walk down to the local shops buy myself cigarettes & alcohol and get the ball rolling on the above illnesses.

I am not saying that there are no downsides to cannabis smoking but nobody can deny that there are just as many, even more, against drink.
    It is easy to quote the studies putting down cannabis, but there is also evidence to suggest that cannabis can be extremely effective as a medicine for various conditions/symptoms, e.g: Nausea from chemotherapy, pain from cancers, pain from arthritis, relief from AIDS related symptoms.
    http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/reprint/162/12/1685.pdf

I know that legalising cannabis to the general population will not have a profound effect on the ailments listed above but I would like to see one medicinal benefit from alcohol or tobacco?
    The reason people think of cannabis as such a 'bad' drug is because of the stigma attached to anything illegal. If alcohol and tobacco were illegal people would hold the exact same views about them, maybe even stronger views seeing as they are more harmful.

As I have said before, its easy to pull out studies on the harmful effects, but, its just as easy to do it for numerous legal drugs.

G.B Shaw

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Though I personally don't and never have smoked the auld hash, I am becoming more pro legislation than in my youth. The ban just isn't working and actually adds to the glamour of it all, making it more attractive to rebellious youth.
    At the very least, there should at least be a legalisation of hemp for paper and other materials. This is one of the most idiotic pieces of legislation.
    Legalising hemp for paper/rope etc, would take the pressure off the Earths rapidly depleting forestry and woodland. It would also ease Third World countries where hemp is probably one of the few productive and hardy crops that actually grow there. Paper from hemp does not lead to drive by shootings, crack ho's, and suicide bombers! :x
    Just 1 gram of cocaine destroys 4m2 of tropical rainforest. Give it up ya selfish b'stards.

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast