Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: TG4 awards weather service contract to New Zealand company...

Politics.ie Member MsAnneThrope's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default TG4 awards weather service contract to New Zealand company...

The recent media publicity regarding the ability of New Zealand based weather services to more accurately forecast our local weather than Met Éireann (discussed on this site here) seems to make sense now. I've just seen that a company named Metra in New Zealand has been awarded the contract for the "provision of a comprehensive weather service for TG4" at a cost (annual I assume) of €110,000+VAT.

I'm not doubting their expertise or suitability to provide this service but will RTÉ continue to use Met Éireann while TG4 separately uses Metra, NZ? There is duplication of effort and additional cost with this approach, not to mention you could now quite possibly get substantially different forecasts on RTÉ and TG4.

Are RTÉ about to announce Metra will also provide their weather service? What will happen Met Éireann then? Or will we be going forward with two separate weather service providers for State TV stations? What does this say about the accuracy of Met Éireann's forecasting, not to mention the cost of their service? For the record TG4 is getting €35.23 million directly from the Government this year...
    We all love animals. Why do we call some 'pets' and others 'dinner'?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Looking more closely at the contract award notice it says:

V.4) Information on value of contract
    Initial estimated total value of the contract: 110000 EUR Total final value of the contract 1100000 EUR Annual or monthly value:
    One figure says €110,000 while the other says €1,100,000 so it's unclear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

*bump*

With all the recent discussion about RTÉ and TG4 I remembered this thread. Out of curiousity I compared both sites' weather forecasts. As of 5:00pm on Saturday, August 20th here are the respective forecasts for tomorrow, Sunday, August 21st:

RTÉ forecast:

Tomorrow

Tomorrow Sunday will bring a good deal of dry weather with sunny spells. However there will be some occasional showers too, a few of which will be heavy.
    TG4 Forecast:

Sunday, August 21st

It will be mostly cloudy with showers to all regions.
    So if you want a bit of sunshine tomorrow don't watch TG4!

Seriously though, how can they be so different? It's not like Ireland is a vast continent.

Politics.ie Member Thekinghasnoclothes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Could we shut down Met Eireann?