Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who will host TV3's new chat show ??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation Who will host TV3's new chat show ??

Six years after cancelling a chat show fronted by Eamon Dunphy, TV3 is considering a new flagship entertainment programme.

The Sunday Tribune has learned that station management have been in contact with a number of venues around Dublin to assess their availability as a setting for the new programme.

Speaking this weekend, TV3's director of programming Ben Frow said: "It's true we are investigating a chat show and a new Sunday-night entertainment programme. I believe that TV3 at this point can make the sort of programme which could stand next to anything RTé has in terms of quality and entertainment value."

While the presenter or exact format of the show is still to be decided, one thing is certain: the programme won't be scheduled against The Late Late Show, a challenge which put paid to Eamon Dunphy's chat show. Launched in the autumn of 2003, The Eamon Dunphy Show failed to gain the same viewing figures as its RTé rival, drawing 295,000 viewers on its first night compared with 614,000 for The Late Late Show, leading to its eventual cancellation mid-season.

"Nobody has ever said to me that The Eamon Dunphy Show was rubbish or that Eamon Dunphy as a host was terrible. The only question I ever get asked is: why was it put on against The Late Late Show? That was a scheduling decision taken before I joined TV3
    read more 'Nobody ever said Eamon Dunphy was terrible': TV3 in chat-show comeback

Politics.ie Member MsAnneThrope's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd love to see Ivan Yates try something like this. He can be serious or funny, or both simultaneously. He's been around the block in Ireland and is charismatic and very affable. Send in your CV Ivan
    We all love animals. Why do we call some 'pets' and others 'dinner'?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Martin King

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd love to see Geoffrey, Merle Haggard and Femme Fatale jointly host it, in an Xpose style.
    But TV3 don't have such far reaching vision.
    It'll be Martin King.
    Please sign the petition to establish a national day of celebration in honour of the vision of the United Irishmen!
    United Irishmen Day Petition
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

First show of Martin King tonight.

First guest, Alan Cantwell, they talk about crap as usual.

Second guest, Glenda Gilson, airhead tripe as usual.

Guest band, bewitched.

Last guest, they go upmarket for this one, Mondo from fair city.

I am actually shuddering at the thought.

Quote Originally Posted by MsAnneThrope View Post
    I'd love to see Ivan Yates try something like this. He can be serious or funny, or both simultaneously. He's been around the block in Ireland and is charismatic and very affable. Send in your CV Ivan
    Ivan's already signed up for a 20 week business show on TV3, add that to his breakfast radio show and still being ceo of celtic bookmakers i think he's probably got enough to be getting on for a bit

but i agree i think he'd have potential to be good at such a show

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Could be Ray Darcy - he'd be keen to get on TV again, and I'm sure RTE won't have him

That would be worth a punt, I think

Politics.ie Member MsAnneThrope's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by disgruntledcitizen View Post
    Ivan's already signed up for a 20 week business show on TV3
    Thanks for that Disgruntledcitizen. I didn't know this and the first show aired today I see (discussing NAMA). I'll play it later.

Well if Ivan is unavailable my second choice would be Daire O'Briain if they can convince him. TV3, if you're reading, we need a laugh in the middle of all these dark economic clouds. Someone to cheer us up. Not a dull, serious host/hostess. Please select carefully
    We all love animals. Why do we call some 'pets' and others 'dinner'?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MsAnneThrope View Post
    Thanks for that Disgruntledcitizen. I didn't know this and the first show aired today I see (discussing NAMA). I'll play it later.

Well if Ivan is unavailable my second choice would be Daire O'Briain if they can convince him. TV3, if you're reading, we need a laugh in the middle of all these dark economic clouds. Someone to cheer us up. Not a dull, serious host/hostess. Please select carefully
    yes - someone smart and funny please - Daire O'Briain would be great
    "The individual is handicapped by coming face to face with a conspiracy so monstrous he cannot believe it exists.'' ~ J. Edgar Hoover http://tiny.cc/b2jo9

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh come on, Rhonda. TV3 couldn't afford to get Daire into negotiations, never mind on air.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast