Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: De Brugh V Crawley cage fight.

Politics.ie Member Pat Mc Larnon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default De Brugh V Crawley cage fight.

Big fight outside the back of the Gaiety where Irish singer Chris De Burgh has taken a mighty offence to a review of his concerts by the Irish Times critic (sic) Peter Crawley.

The spritely singer has accused the said hack of writing a hackneyed and cliched piece that was merely a cut and paste of a number of similar articles going back over thirty years. De Burgh points out that the concerts were a sell out and that the review did not take account of what actually happened on the night.

While obviously a piece on entertainment the article does stray into the real world of writer bias and of reporters broaching a subject with pre conceived ideas and a closed mind (regardless of the subject matter).
    It has to be said that De Burgh does appear to take satisfaction at what he believes will be the ultimate demise of the print media at the expense of the net and information sharing technology.

Chris De Burgh the champion of the blog against the luddites and closed minds of the Irish Times. Who'd have thought it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Mc Larnon View Post
    Big fight outside the back of the Gaiety where Irish singer Chris De Burgh has taken a mighty offence to a review of his concerts by the Irish Times critic (sic) Peter Crawley.

The spritely singer has accused the said hack of writing a hackneyed and cliched piece that was merely a cut and paste of a number of similar articles going back over thirty years. De Burgh points out that the concerts were a sell out and that the review did not take account of what actually happened on the night.

While obviously a piece on entertainment the article does stray into the real world of writer bias and of reporters broaching a subject with pre conceived ideas and a closed mind (regardless of the subject matter).
    It has to be said that De Burgh does appear to take satisfaction at what he believes will be the ultimate demise of the print media at the expense of the net and information sharing technology.

Chris De Burgh the champion of the blog against the luddites and closed minds of the Irish Times. Who'd have thought it.
    There was an article in hotpress where they published De Burghs letter to Crawley.

You should read it, seriously, De Burgh comes across like an infantile meglomaniac.
    Voters don't decide issues, they decide who will decide issues.

George Will

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Doyle View Post

You should read it, seriously, De Burgh comes across like an infantile meglomaniac.
    Maybe he was just high-ei-ei on emotion.

But seriously I imagine people going to such an event know what they are getting and writing a review in what some still consider a serious newspaper is a kind of snobbery so the insecure readers can titter at those they consider to have taste even worse than their own.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

There was something in the Daily Mail on monday about this too.
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TradCat View Post
    Maybe he was just high-ei-ei on emotion.

But seriously I imagine people going to such an event know what they are getting and writing a review in what some still consider a serious newspaper is a kind of snobbery so the insecure readers can titter at those they consider to have taste even worse than their own.
    I'm sure theres an element of that but Crowley alluded to such in his piece.

'But while he certainly gives us some reason (to cringe-sic) – “I often wonder where religion came from,” goes one introduction, as though he is considering starting one – any embarrassment we feel says more about us than him.'

Here is the review and the resulting letter in full.

Chris de Burgh sees red - The Irish Times - Fri, Sep 11, 2009

George Will

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds like someone is fed-up with being under-appreciated artistically.

De Burgh's argument is that people showed up and were entertained by his decades-old songs and some covers, and therefore he should have gotten nice things written about him. Oh dear.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TradCat View Post
    Actually, journalists are usually invited to shows (and I would be stunned if one wasn't invited on this occasion), and most bands/performers would give their eye teeth for one to show up and write about them. Of course, if one does show-up and write a review you don't like...

...unless there is something factually inaccurate (like, let's say he said that the show was sparsely-attended when it was in fact sold out etc.) you should never write a "don't you understand how brilliant some people think I am you snobbish, prejudiced d*ck?" letter.

This won't lose him any fans (apparently some women wear red dresses to his shows) but it won't gain him any new ones.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Someone who might have cause for a little complaint is Cliff Richard. He once sent a new song to Radio Stations under a pseudo-name and they raved about it and played it. When it was revealed that is was a new Cliff Richard record they stopped playing it.

Maybe some singers have such a strong reputation for being naff that the mere mention of the name or sound of the voice is enough to put people off (or switch stations) without even listening to the new material.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tmesis2008 View Post
    Actually, journalists are usually invited to shows (and I would be stunned if one wasn't invited on this occasion), and most bands/performers would give their eye teeth for one to show up and write about them. Of course, if one does show-up and write a review you don't like...

...unless there is something factually inaccurate (like, let's say he said that the show was sparsely-attended when it was in fact sold out etc.) you should never write a "don't you understand how brilliant some people think I am you snobbish, prejudiced d*ck?" letter.

This won't lose him any fans (apparently some women wear red dresses to his shows) but it won't gain him any new ones.

I was actually shocked at the tone of the letter, It exposes CdB as a particulalry nasty and vindictive piece of work.

George Will

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Doyle View Post
    There was an article in hotpress where they published De Burghs letter to Crawley.

I'm no fan of his music, but Chris de Burgh is now my hero. Putting Pen to Paper or what!! apart from the tetchy ps. at the bottom it's one of the best ripostes I have ever read. Infantile megalomaniacs can never write that well!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast