Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it time for a new political system, new political parties?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Is it time for a new political system, new political parties?

Are any of our current political parties suitable to run the country, do we really want our country to be run by corrupt parties within a corrupt political system?

Edited quote from Finfacts
    'Nepotism is a common characteristic in Political Ireland. In Ireland, the top three politicians - Taoiseach (Prime Minister), Tánaiste (Deputy Prime Minster) and Finance Minister, took their fathers' seat in parliament, as did the Leader of the Opposition. The Finance Minister has also a brother and an aunt in the Dáil (Lower House). Fianna Fáil has a family of three in the Dáil - the Kitts - and one of them succeeded to their late father's seat. Former Taoiseach Bertie Ahern and his brother Noel are TDs and the father of the Andrews brothers, was a member of the Dáil. On the Fine Gael side, Richard Bruton and his brother former Taoiseach John and several others who succeeded relatives, are beneficiaries of the nepotism system. In 2004, when TDs were precluded from membership of local authorities, relatives took their place.'

Is nepotism a form of political corruption? Wikipedia suggests the following,

'Forms of corruption vary, but include bribery, extortion, cronyism, nepotism, patronage, graft, and embezzlement.'

So by definition the structure of our political system is corrupt, therefore can one expect the persons within the system not to be corrupt? Everyone knows of those little rezoning issues at a local level, the embezzling of public money for a 5 minute limousine journey etc. Yet election after election we vote for these people, creating the political class. Even the 'new' politicians endevour to secure their off springs future from the onset, Donkey Jackie Healy Rae has ensured his sons have their places, Michael no doubt being primed to take over Jackies position as a TD for South Kerry.

So do we continue to support the main parties or is it time to draw a line in the sand and start afresh with a new political system, (for example; the part time dail sits for approx 90 days per year as it did when Ireland has a slow moving economy, the donkey and cart days, now we need a full time dail.) , new parties and a new code of ethics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes it is. Lets clean house of these has beens. Anyone for a free enterprise party and I will join

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Please reform both.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you are to try and dig Ireland out of the hole it has been driven into, start with the Constitution. Reform of the political system must be so fundamental, so radical that it has to be constitutionally enshrined. There is no use tinkering with a system which, by its very structural composition, is no longer fit for purpose.

Some of the reform I would like to see requires such radical steps. Abolition of our bi-cameral system (goodbye Seanad), tax-raising powers to be given to county councils (on the basis that if you are much closer to the people who are spending public money, they will be more accountable) constitutional restrictions on the power of central government, particularly on tax issues are just some of the things I believe are needed.

In other words, I think Ireland needs a total restructuring on the way governance operates. And for that, constiututional reform is needed.
    Fianna Fail - The Loss of Sovereignty Party.

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have always called for a party-system that replaced Civil War politics with the politics of ideas. I believe in the market, and that applies to ideologies aswell. The voter, acting as a consumer, should have a choice between opposing policies and worldviews. Instead, what we get is a cosy consensus on issues like the EU and immigration, where the elites close ranks to quash debate and dissent. Until this changes, we are doomed to return to where we are now again and again and again.

Asi-Irish

God Yes!

I am sick of the current batch of muppets and I really don't believe that there are more than perhaps a dozen TDs who deserve to be representing the people.

The Civil War politics thing astounds me. My father refuses to vote for anyone who is not in Fianna Fail, and he will not be shaken. That's right, he is one of the fools who helps to keep these b@stards in power. However, it ends with his generation.

We need new parties and new faces in the Dail.

Hopefully, by the next general election, most of the TDs currently in the Dail will be banished from political and public life forever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's going to be very hard to replace them. Look how many parties have come and gone. FF and FG adapt easily because they have no core beliefs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TradCat View Post
    It's going to be very hard to replace them. Look how many parties have come and gone. FF and FG adapt easily because they have no core beliefs.
    Since when was "fukk u, pay me" not a core belief?

Parties have come and gone but there has never been an anger in this country and such a will to change.
    I wouldn't over estimate it but i would say that 20-25% of the population would have a "none of the above" attitude and would be willing to support a party that stood for accountability, political and public sector reform and had no ties to builders, banks or other vested interests
    The early bird may get the worm - but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Propforward View Post
    Since when was "fukk u, pay me" not a core belief?

Parties have come and gone but there has never been an anger in this country and such a will to change.
    I wouldn't over estimate it but i would say that 20-25% of the population would have a "none of the above" attitude and would be willing to support a party that stood for accountability, political and public sector reform and had no ties to builders, banks or other vested interests
    This party will have to stay against public service and bank unions

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Has there ever been any major political change in any country without shooting (or hanging, Gulotine perhaps) a good number of the existing politicians. Alive politicians are extremely able at perserving the political system that has afforded them their power.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast