Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 51% back gay marriage - poll

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default 51% back gay marriage - poll

Most back legal recognition for gay couples:

More than eight out of 10 people believe same-sex couples should be given some form of legal recognition, according to a Lansdowne Market Research poll conducted last month.

However, the opinion is more evenly split on the issue of gay marriage, with just over half - 51 per cent - expressing support for such a move and 53 per cent agreeing that excluding gay couples from marriage is unfair.

Support levels for greater legal recognition for gay couples were highest among the poorer sections of the community and lower among the higher- earning respondents.

The poll, commissioned by the Gay and Lesbian Equality Network (Glen), indicates less support for allowing same-sex couples to adopt children - 39 per cent support such a move.

Almost two-thirds of respondents - 64 per cent - said an election candidate's position on gay marriage would not have an effect on their voting intentions while 16 per cent said a candidate who supported gay marriage would be more likely to receive their first preference vote.
    The lesson is clear - legislate for gay marriage now.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: 51% back gay marriage - poll

Quote Originally Posted by FutureTaoiseach
    The lesson is clear - legislate for gay marriage now.
    While I agree with the latter, but the former isn't exactly "clear".

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Let them marry......but obviously not in the normal sense of marriage. I'm all for legal recognition of same sex partners. On a related matter, I wouldn't really approve of same sex couples being allowed to adopt...that would be a strange environment for children.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rkeane
    Let them marry......but obviously not in the normal sense of marriage. I'm all for legal recognition of same sex partners. On a related matter, I wouldn't really approve of same sex couples being allowed to adopt...that would be a strange environment for children.
    Whilst i am of the same mind i have to sya that it is crap arguement i mean whose to say interracial adoption is not strange for a child, or single parenthood what about children with very old parents?
    Life is a beautiful magnificent thing, even to a jelly fish ~ Charlie Chaplin

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Would u want to be brought up with 2 mums or 2 dads???? Maybe I'm just not openminded enough...I just can't get my head around that kind of scenario.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Would u want to be brought up with 2 mums or 2 dads???? Maybe I'm just not openminded enough...I just can't get my head around that kind of scenario.
    I really don't know but i do know i wouldn't want to be brought up by a single parent or (god forbid) someone over 40!!
    The point is that children do not notice these things they just want love, if we have children grow up in these relationships we will find they will have the same opinions of their parents more or less as we do. No one can choose their parents so its a stupid line of reasoning too. Sorri

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Maybe I'm just 2 traditional.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

there were reports today that the government will defer any legislation on civil partnerships/tax status/inheritance etc etc until after the next election.

surprise surprise. never saw that one coming

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Maybe I'm just 2 traditional.
    No you just have reservations, always a good thing to have. I oppose gay adoption on the grounds that i believe it is important to assert that adoption is for the childs sake not the parents. A child must always be put into the best home, i don't mean to exclude gay people on that basis i merely mean that adoption handlers are the best to decide not the public or civil rights groups.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You are probably right, I'll leave it to the adoption handlers.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast