Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Museum of Gaelic Culture

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Museum of Gaelic Culture

Despite emigrating 3 months ago due to the Irish fiasco I still can not help but regularly read this website. Have been in Mexico City recently enjoying the anthropology museum. Made me wonder...

Why does Ireland not have a museum of Gaelic culture and civilisation that covers the history, language, development etc of the society from whenever the Gaelic invasion was through the different stages to the eventual collapse in 1601 to 1607 and then the history of the lingering decline since then. It could go through the celtic gods, mythology, place names, social structures, brethons etc. Local areas and the lingering prominence of certain names i.e. MacCarthy in Cork etc. Music, poetry and literature would of course be a major aspect

Most museums at the moment are a majority Anglo Irish approach that do not explain much of the indigenous culture pre English conquest.

I reckon it would be a great success and appeal to locals and holiday makers especially those tracing Irish roots. Germans of course would love it.

Shoot me down and tell me to go play some rugby.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Excellent idea. Gaelic culture has been sickly for centuries. It survived, but there is no indication that it can survive the onslaught of the immigration of huge numbers of foreign settlers for whom Gaelic culture is as relevant as is Iroquois culture for the New Yorker. Your suggestion is therefore poignantly timely.

I have also always thought that a course for secondary school could be devised, covering the categories you mention. Right now schools pretend to teach Irish and students pretend (some don't even pretend) to learn it. It would be much better to scrap Irish for the hoi polloi, leaving it to an elite of maybe 10% who love the language.

The rest could learn mythology, folklore, dinnseanchas etc., thru English, obviously with constant references to the Irish language that underpins so much.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why dont you set it up yourself? Or at least start a blog or a website?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.De-Regulation View Post
    Why dont you set it up yourself? Or at least start a blog or a website?
    Unfortunately, do not have the time or inclination. Living abroad anyway. Really think it deserves an impressive centre. Probably should be in Dublin as that is the main population centre.

Really think most Irish folk have no idea what Gaelic culture is. It could be an excellent way to make the Northern Unionists happy too as it would highlight the Scottish and Manx elements.

My father in law is English. He is really into languages and can speak several including Russian. His friend was an Irish guy. He asked his young daughter can you speak any Irish. She said indeed I can. He said say something. She said "would you f#ing, f# off you gobsh#te f@er. Sad but acually true. Also pretty funny.

Excellent idea. Strangely enough there was a BBC TV programme on the other night about how the Celts (Mainly Irish) had saved Western civilization after the Romans left Briton, which then was conquered again by northern European barbarians. The Angles etc.

Newgrange attracts huge numbers of foreigners just about all year round, yet my wife and I on our regular visits hardly ever hear a Dublin accent.

The Irish Times is susceptible to suggestions so a, Dear Madam........... from someone else rather than yours truly (I'm already pushing for other projects) might be published and help kick-start the idea.

All primary schoolchildren in Ireland should be introduced to the Newgrange visitors centre. A free double decker bus should be furnished by the state for said purpose.

http://www.newgrange.com/
    Last edited by MauriceColgan; 9th September 2009 at 09:52 AM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Right so, by next summer there will an online one.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cool

Great idea, but it would have to be done properly, which means putting real resources, intellectual and material, into it.

I just hope it's nothing like the "Celtworld Experience" that was built in Tramore in the 1990s and has since - I think at least and certainly hope - died the death.

I'm sure some Americans lapped it up, but the place was, in the words of Fintan O'Toole, "an awesome combination of high tech and low kitsch".

Let's never go down that road again!
    Last edited by reknaw; 9th September 2009 at 10:34 AM. Reason: correcting misspelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This place in Wexford certainly touches on many of the aspects that you mention, but doesn't of course deal exclusively with the Gaelic period.

Ah, here it is:

Irish National Heritage Park

I was there as a kid and really liked it, not sure what I'd make of it now.
    itís the continuing series of small tragedies, that send a man to the, madhouse

Newgrange to Loughcrew and on to Tulsk, then the Ceidie Fields in Mayo, the largest man-made structure in the world.
    The spectacular fort on Aran more and and and ............ Maeves tomb sligo and and the massive standing stones everywhere!

Our ancient past is just waiting to be discovered by millions of cultural tourists from all over the world.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McGyver View Post
    Unfortunately, do not have the time or inclination. Living abroad anyway. Really think it deserves an impressive centre. Probably should be in Dublin as that is the main population centre.

Really think most Irish folk have no idea what Gaelic culture is. It could be an excellent way to make the Northern Unionists happy too as it would highlight the Scottish and Manx elements.

My father in law is English. He is really into languages and can speak several including Russian. His friend was an Irish guy. He asked his young daughter can you speak any Irish. She said indeed I can. He said say something. She said "would you f#ing, f# off you gobsh#te f@er. Sad but acually true. Also pretty funny.

Not funny.

Sad.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast