Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Selfish criticism of Fine Gael Policies

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Selfish criticism of Fine Gael Policies

I am amazed at the "reaction" to Fine Gael's recent policy proposals with regard to military camps for youth offenders and the provision of bins for the disposal of firearms in churches etc.

People must debate these policy proposals honestly and openly and not with the sort of self righteous ignorance of some of the posters on this forum and in the media.

I think it outrageous that Tom Brady when writing in today's Independent completely ignored a detailed disscusion of the policy on gun bins in favour of putting across the view that some listeners on a radio show thought it a bad idea.

I am a Fine Gael supporter but I do belive that in the interests of the a country plagued by crime that people discuss these proposals with the respect the issues they seek to address should demand
    "Rural People didn't need hospitals in the 19th Century and shouldn't need
    them now"

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Indeed they should be debated - I have stated it's a good idea as have some others on this forum. But at the end of the day it all comes back to the principle problem with all FG policies - will Labour accept them? The answer to that came last night with Brendan Howlin's firm no. Only joint FG-Lab policies can have any credibility, and the problem there is that what is left out of those reminds us of the continuing division between the parties. Add to that the fact that the only chance of getting FG and Labour into govt is with the Greens, and you do not have a recipe for a credible, coherent, alternative govt.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

future moron would you like to see a list of all the fianna fail and pd policies which were jettisoned as soon as they got into government???

or is everything sweetness and light in that camp?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rover
    future moron would you like to see a list of all the fianna fail and pd policies which were jettisoned as soon as they got into government???

or is everything sweetness and light in that camp?
    One of the reasons I am supporting the PDs is because it's "the meat that gives the sandwich its flavour". The smaller party/ies determine the ideological direction of the govt. Much of the PD program has been implemented e.g. income tax-rates - perhaps to be fully realised next month - privatisations, Garda Reserve, Garda Ombudsman Commission etc. Granted Coalition is a marriage where give-and-take is required, but FG's history shows it has always been "give" with them. They always cave in to leftwing parties and that is why they have been stuck under 30% since 1987, compared to 39% in 1982. The free-market wing of their vote went to the PDs while others disilussioned with FG-Lab incompetence became part of a floating vote that is currently flirting with SF and the Greens. Hence FG-Lab have not won office nationally in a General Election since 1982. And they still won't if the register is fair. We don't want a rudderless ship sailing us into potentially turbulent global economic waters with a US slowdown on the way. Only competent economic management - such as that demonstrated by the current govt - can successfully steer us through these economic waters. As Brian Cowen recently said, FG and Labour when in govt, have always responded to economic difficulties by raising taxes. The Slump Coalition's prescription will be worse than the disease and should be avoided like the Plague.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

its just one, long, sad party political broadcast with you isnt it? are you even capable of adult discussion??

and people like you wonder why they cant get girlfriends

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

its just one, long, sad party political broadcast with you isnt it? are you even capable of adult discussion??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dude, FT is gay
    Freedom, Tolerance & Equality of Opportunity

Economic Left/Right: -1.25
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.33

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Munion
    Dude, FT is gay
    well thank god for that. if was ever chatted up by a Toryboy like him i think i would classify it as a sexcrime

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just to bring this back on topic. Yeah I do think it is disappointing. As it stands, the system for dealing with young offenders is not working with Ä300,000 to Ä500,000 spent on each young offender per annum and recidivism rates at astronomical levels. Alongside this anti-social behaviour is at an all-time high. Violent crime has increased and detection rates have decreased with anti-social behaviour rampant across every community. Since 2003, murder has increased by 25%, firearms offences by 43% and rape by 33%.

So clearly what the government is doing, which in many cases is nothing, isn't working. However instead of trying to come up with ideas themselves they just attack FG when they do. In many ways this is working the opposite to how it should. As time goes on I think FF now have no idea how to solve Ireland's problems and now believe that the only way they can win this election is by damaging FG. Basically rather then claim we're better then FG, they're trying to claim FG and worst then us, which I think is very disappointing and points to a very very bad government and also if they get elected to another five years like the last one i.e. a period when the government does nothing to solve Irelandís problems.

Simple question Maximus and FT all other FFers, how do you propose we solve these problems? Because what your doing now isnít working. Also what are FF/PD doing right now to solve these problems?
    "Give us the future, we've had enough of YOUR past, Give us back our country, to live in, to grow in and to love..."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast