Register to Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

John McCain: "America is a Christian Nation"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9izhjnaLa3M

He also attacks the notion of a separation between church and state.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Re: John McCain: "America is a Christian Nation"

What defines a Christian Nation?

He needs to read his Constitution then

I'm no McCain supporter but for the sake of clarity he didn't quite attack the notion of seperation of church and state. What he said was that the founding fathers were concerned about the imposition of a particular State Church, but that was not to say that they did not see a place for God in the State which they hoped to develop. He then cites statements such as "One Nation under God".

There is an element of truth in that statement regardless of the views which one holds as to the place of the Churches in the State today.

What is with all the editing in it? It makes for difficult viewing, taking the questions out or something?

firstly the editing of the video is either very clumsey or someone is trying to alter the message / tone of the interview. That aside america is by and large a christian nation (ie the majority are christians of one sort or another) so his statement is not untrue, personally i think he may be begining to reach out to the religious right, though not to the extent that G.W. did.

All I got from this badly edited piece is McCain giving a brief lesson in history. Most US laws are based in Christianity. Where's the news in that?

Quote Originally Posted by johnfás
    I'm no McCain supporter but for the sake of clarity he didn't quite attack the notion of separation of church and state. What he said was that the founding fathers were concerned about the imposition of a particular State Church, but that was not to say that they did not see a place for God in the State which they hoped to develop. He then cites statements such as "One Nation under God".

There is an element of truth in that statement regardless of the views which one holds as to the place of the Churches in the State today.

What is with all the editing in it? It makes for difficult viewing, taking the questions out or something?
    To me it sounded like he opposed the notion of church and state separation. I had heard it claimed on Point of Inquiry radio that a vote for McCain was a vote for dismantling the church state separation. I thought it was just hyperbole, but this is very worrying. I had thought that McCain wouldn't be anything like as bad as Bush (who apparently believes God speaks to him and tells him to go to war!) if he won. Mind you he was so hesitant in his manner during that clip he was either having cognitive difficulties or else was hyper aware that what he was saying was dangerous territory even for a republican.

Quote Originally Posted by "imokyrok
    Mind you he was so hesitant in his manner during that clip he was either having cognitive difficulties or else was hyper aware that what he was saying was dangerous territory even for a republican.
    ...or maybe it's a really bad editing job.

Personally I think its just clumsy pandering. There wasn't anything in the video that suggests he would try and remove the separation of church and state. But it again shows how far McCain has fallen since his embrace if the extremist wing of the Republican party.

He been making an ass of himself lately. First the suicidal tax plans, and now he's chumming up to the Westboro crowd!

come on John, get it together.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment