Register to Comment
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 131
Like Tree56Likes
  1. #1
    valamhic valamhic is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    15,686

    Trump Derangement Syndrome, does it exist? what is it? how is it diagnosed? who has it?

    It was Charles Kruthhammer who identified the reaction to President George W Bush as "Bush Derangement Syndrome" defined as ""the acute onset of paranoia in otherwise normal people in reaction to the policies, the presidency – nay – the very existence of George W. Bush." The condition subsided during the Obama era, but emerged again with the election of Donald J Trump as President and re-defined by Kruthammer a harsh critic of Trump as , " Trump derangement syndrome is described as a Trump-induced "general hysteria" among the chattering classes, producing an "inability to distinguish between legitimate policy differences and ... signs of psychic pathology" in the President's behavior."[6]

    If any US President makes key decisions and implements them over his/her term, some of these decisions would have to be good ones on the law of averages. Even if only 5% of Trump's decisions were benign and helpful, one would expect that they would receive due recognition by everyone.


    Justin Raimondo, a self-described "conservative-paleo-libertarian",[7] divided the "syndrome" into three stages; in the first, those who "lose all sense of proportion," next, they experience "a profound effect on ... vocabulary" and begin to "speak a distinctive language consisting solely of hyperbole," and, in the final stage, the afflicted "lose the ability to distinguish fantasy from reality."[8] Jonathan S. Tobin defines it as "disgust at his manner and his tweets such that all distinctions between him and genuine villains is lost."[9] Fareed Zakaria defined the Syndrome as "hatred of President Trump so intense that it impairs people’s judgment."

    I feel that all of these definitions are valid, my personal favorite for the President's job was Ted Cruz, but I believe Brexit, Trump and the emergence of Europe's right is the forced adjustment by the people to a creeping communist, leftist, Greenist Liberal undemocratic movement.

    I rely heavily of Wikipedia for references and hope others will develop the topic. The word Hyperbole is defined as "exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally"

    Having thought about it, I believe this condition exists and is closely related to mass hysteria. It's caused by the emergence of mass media and social media where ideas are acquired and built on. Sufferers cannot accept that (with a few exceptions), they have three ways to realize their dreams, 1) get lucky and win the lotto, 2) vote and hope other voters share you view and 3) complain. I don't buy lotto tickets, I learned a long time ago that voting is futile and that complaining only serves to transfers one's frustration with like minded people and imposes one's derangement syndrome on the unwilling ears of the rest of us.

    I do not find the syndrome in the general population of Ireland or America, I would guess 10% at most. Having thought about it again, I suspect that it is the determined refusal by a minority to accept the democratic will of the people by every means short of armed rebellion. Few societies can please everyone.
    Last edited by valamhic; 24th July 2018 at 08:51 AM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #2
    Man or Mouse Man or Mouse is online now

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    7,181

    George Will?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #3
    President Bartlet President Bartlet is offline
    President Bartlet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,905

    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #4
    Windowshopper Windowshopper is offline
    Windowshopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    9,066

    Quote Originally Posted by valamhic View Post
    The condition subsided during the Obama era, but emerged again with the election of Donald J Trump as President and re-defined by Kruthammer a harsh critic of Trump as ,
    Ergh the GOP repeatedly painting Obama as some kind of socialist radical, when he was a middle of the road Democrat, and the Tea Party was essentially an ongoing protest aganist a black president.

    Regarding Bush derangement syndrome. He did win his first elections on controversial grounds, and he started a pointless war.

    Yeah there seems to a slight derangement about centrist democrats who are using Russia as a means to distract themselves from their horrible candidate and election campaign but on the other hand Trump is a near fascist demagogue.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #5
    SeanieFitz SeanieFitz is offline
    SeanieFitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    12,216

    Quote Originally Posted by valamhic View Post
    It was Charles Kruthhammer who identified the reaction to President George W Bush as "Bush Derangement Syndrome" defined as ""the acute onset of paranoia in otherwise normal people in reaction to the policies, the presidency – nay – the very existence of George W. Bush." The condition subsided during the Obama era, but emerged again with the election of Donald J Trump as President and re-defined by Kruthammer a harsh critic of Trump as , " Trump derangement syndrome is described as a Trump-induced "general hysteria" among the chattering classes, producing an "inability to distinguish between legitimate policy differences and ... signs of psychic pathology" in the President's behavior."[6]

    If any US President makes key decisions and implements them over his/her term, some of these decisions would have to be good ones on the law of averages. Even if only 5% of Trump's decisions were benign and helpful, one would expect that they would receive due recognition by everyone.


    Justin Raimondo, a self-described "conservative-paleo-libertarian",[7] divided the "syndrome" into three stages; in the first, those who "lose all sense of proportion," next, they experience "a profound effect on ... vocabulary" and begin to "speak a distinctive language consisting solely of hyperbole," and, in the final stage, the afflicted "lose the ability to distinguish fantasy from reality."[8] Jonathan S. Tobin defines it as "disgust at his manner and his tweets such that all distinctions between him and genuine villains is lost."[9] Fareed Zakaria defined the Syndrome as "hatred of President Trump so intense that it impairs people’s judgment."

    I feel that all of these definitions are valid, my personal favorite for the President's job was Ted Cruz, but I believe Brexit, Trump and the emergence of Europe's right is the forced adjustment by the people to a creeping communist, leftist, Greenist Liberal undemocratic movement.

    I rely heavily of Wikipedia for references and hope others will develop the topic. The word Hyperbole is defined as "exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally"

    Having thought about it, I believe this condition exists and is closely related to mass hysteria. It's caused by the emergence of mass media and social media where ideas are acquired and built on. Sufferers cannot accept that (with a few exceptions), they have three ways to realize their dreams, 1) get lucky and win the lotto, 2) vote and hope other voters share you view and 3) complain. I don't buy lotto tickets, I learned a long time ago that voting is futile and that complaining only serves to transfers one's frustration with like minded people and imposes one's derangement syndrome on the unwilling ears of the rest of us.

    I do not find the syndrome in the general population of Ireland or America, I would guess 10% at most. Having thought about it again, I suspect that it is the determined refusal by a minority to accept the democratic will of the people by every means short of armed rebellion. Few societies can please everyone.
    You definitely a member of the 10%, you don't stop posting about Mr Spanky Pee Pee
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #6
    The Nal The Nal is offline
    The Nal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,999

    90% of the failing posters on here have it.

    Sad.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #7
    Gwannow Gwannow is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    770

    Fat women in the swimming pool - how can we ban them?
    Oops sorry - I mistook this thread for a " Say Ridiculous Things" one. Zoo indeed.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #8
    Herr Rommel Herr Rommel is offline
    Herr Rommel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    7,213

    Five or six posters here definitely are suffering from this issue.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #9
    valamhic valamhic is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    15,686

    Quote Originally Posted by Windowshopper View Post
    Ergh the GOP repeatedly painting Obama as some kind of socialist radical, when he was a middle of the road Democrat, and the Tea Party was essentially an ongoing protest aganist a black president.

    Regarding Bush derangement syndrome. He did win his first elections on controversial grounds, and he started a pointless war.

    Yeah there seems to a slight derangement about centrist democrats who are using Russia as a means to distract themselves from their horrible candidate and election campaign but on the other hand Trump is a near fascist demagogue.
    What war did he start? I havn't heard? Is it Iran?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #10
    Levellers Levellers is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    13,471

    Trump is deranged syndrome has a catchier ring to it.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment