Register to Comment
Page 4 of 55 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Quote Originally Posted by petaljam View Post
    The reality is (and this is not intended as a defence of anyone who is guilty of this sort of behaviour, including Franken - quite the opposite), it's much wider than that, and is actually about a certain number of men assuming, or wanting to prove, that women are available to them as and when they wish. They're always more powerful than the women they assault, and the more powerful they are in society generally, the more they can get away with.

An article I came across the other day referring back to Strauss-Kahn nailed it for me:
    Ah, C'mon, PJ, ye know ye want me.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by NYCKY View Post
    It didn't go unnoticed last week, when the show, skewered Moore but barely mentioned Louis CK (who admitted to what he was accused of). Of course it didn't go unnoticed either that CK is an old friend for the show and a former host.

Given Frankens storied history with SNL it will be interesting to see what they do.
    Again, not defending Louis CK, but let's not forget that Moore is accused of inappropriate behaviour with underage girls. The Louis CK thing is deeply disappointing because of who is he (or who he seemed to be) and if, as it appears, the women actually worked for him, then that is also completely unacceptable. But I must say even if they really were only fellow comedians who were hoping to work with him because they admired him, rather than him paying their wages, and despite his "excuse" that he asked them first, I'm a lot more saddened by Louis CK than by any of the others. I believed his spiel.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Quirell View Post
    Ah, C'mon, PJ, ye know ye want me.
    I hear you have all you can handle with a certain Cavan farmer these days.

Again, not defending Louis CK, but let's not forget that Moore is accused of inappropriate behaviour with underage girls. The Louis CK thing is deeply disappointing because of who is he (or who he seemed to be) and if, as it appears, the women actually worked for him, then that is also completely unacceptable. But I must say even if they really were only fellow comedians who were hoping to work with him because they admired him, rather than him paying their wages, and despite his "excuse" that he asked them first, I'm a lot more saddened by Louis CK than by any of the others. I believed his spiel.
    Male feminists are generally a bit like that.

Quote Originally Posted by stopdoingstuff View Post
    Male feminists are generally a bit like that.
    From where I'm standing it looks like the second word is irrelevant.
    The fact that you think that's the one that's the problem says you don't give a damn about the abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCKY View Post
    On the face of it, I am not sure it rises to a resignation issue but if more stories emerge, then it's a whole different ball game.
    Tweeden has now stated that she has received a phone message from another women describing similar experiences...

Likewise, I've enjoyed franken's work. I don't bother any more, though, in investing any degree of trust or anything in any esteemed figure. They're no less weak than I am and under greater pressure through the opportunities available to them to misbehave. That's not to justify the actions of any of them, and I hasten to point out that in this case it wasn't Franken submitting to a groupie, but the obverse of that coin.

Yes, agreed about Franken. And indeed as a general rule.

It's just that from time to time I let myself be a little too naive and hope that some of them are decent. John Peel was the first of my "idols" to turn out to have feet of clay, then DSK (well not an idol but I had intended to vote for him ) and now Louis CK.

Ah well. Three in fifty years. Not too bad I suppose.

This is a short term gain for GOP but any raising of the bar in terms of unacceptability of certain behaviour towards women will rebound badly for stunningly obvious reasons

Trump is a total horndog who has had his way with 100s of women over 5 decades, there are at least a dozen women who have already come forward and said he assaulted them or at very least groped or came on to them uninvited.
    Multiple starlets have said he openly made inappropriate suggestions and invitations for dates/sex to them based on his wealth and influence.

A zero tolerance policy on any form of inappropriate contact with women will ultimately prove catastrophic for Trump.

It is inconceivable given what we know of his personality, his arrogance, the projects he involved himself in, and the company he kept, that he always observed the highest standards of behaviour with regards to women and sex

Trump and those closest to him and know him best will see this spreading scandal and move to zero tolerance for anyone who has ever behaved badly towards women or abused their position to get their way with women as deeply worrying

Unfortunately I think there is a real danger that this will end up just being a political football for each side, and the actual victims will end up quite possibly worse off.

Page 4 of 55 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment