Register to Comment
Page 13 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

This was after she had rejected him and told him to stop from what I read, so its an attempt at humiliation and to recover his little creepy feminist-ally ego.

Doesn't seem like she is LETTING him do this.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by petaljam View Post
    What you're ignoring is that the casting couch culture is abuse, and that the women who have "benefited" from it have also been victims. Because unless they deliberately seduced a poor man who had no intention of having sex with them, that's how the interview expected the "interview" to go.

Oh wait. You do think those evil women seduced the poor men, you even used that word about Weinstein.
    its not plausible to think that no aspiring actress made a play to get a role or get a project off the ground, I have even heard some female commentators joking about it that it would be a more efficient system if you just had to give someone a blow job to get a project off the ground rather than having to work to get financing.
    you seem to have low expectations for women , why aren't there more real women like Maureen who had respect for themselves and why die on a hill for a bunch of greedy narcissists who made the trade. We aren't talking about women finding innovative ways to get out of a concentration camp or save their kids from starvation, just greed.

No idea how that supports your claim that women threw themselves at Weinstein and seduced him, nor - even if they did - how that would lead onto sexual assault any more than consensual sexual relations lead inevitably to rape.

So Maureen O Hara was a better person than some of those who ceded to his advances, or she just didn't need the money so desperately, but so what? The article proves my point, that the women had to do that or not get the job.
    Some of them decided to do without the job. That's still not to say the others "seduced" Weinstein or whoever. FFS.

Seems cut and dry?

So, bye bye Al.

No excuses and possible criminal and definitely civil action ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Prester Jim View Post
    It is genuinely jarring seeing that photo of Franken, this is a man well into late middle age pretend-groping a woman and getting someone to take a photo. What a complete ass-hat, and he tries to appear so dignified now when you see him on the Bill Maher show. Wonder if he'll go on there now and explain himself while striving to appear statesmanlike. He should be ashamed of himself.
    Saw on twitter yesterday that it was Franken's brother taking the photo

Quote Originally Posted by Surkov View Post
    So your reaction is any one who criticises the liberal media is 'paranoid'?

Hmmm.
    You seem to be really making this a political football rather than what it is, sexual abuse. Most people are horrified at the abuse and the extent of it however you seem to be more interested in scoring political points against the dems/liberal left.

Are you horrified at the extent and nature of the abuse or are you just horrified because you believe not enough blame is being apportioned on the Dems?

Quote Originally Posted by Ardillaun View Post
    The lawyers on p.ie rise to object. Let me rephrase that: it’s a problem predominantly with men, not with political parties or particular industries but with men in general. I’ve no doubt woman do it too but, sheltered though I may be, I still contend that the numbers are definitely in our favour. Mr. Spacey is a man, for example. Anyway, I was replying to the implication that specific occupations may be involved which is not the case.
    Of course that's not the case and that was never implied. A rereading of the post would confirm that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanieFitz View Post
    I know of a guy that worked in an office environment with (predominantly) women, he was so badly bullied and harassed by them that he attempted to take his life.

Power is an aphrodisiac and some people in powerful positions believe that it is their right to take advantage of people. Sometimes that may manifest itself by bullying, over working them or sexually abusing them.
    This abuse is not restricted people of any political persuasion, any particular industry or business. It goes across all sectors however the opportunity to abuse may be more available in some particular areas and it looks like movie industry, politics and fashion industry is rife with it.

Neither the Dems or Republicans are going to come out untainted with this one

I would agree with this. It's not confined to gender, age, religion, politics, industry type etc

Quote Originally Posted by Noble Guardian View Post
    Lynda Bellingham (the Oxo mum for those of a certain generation) was interviewed as part of he "It was alright in the 70's" show just before her death.

She revealed to the programme that, as a young actress, Norman Wisdom once pressured her to put a pencil down her top for half an hour as part of a TV show gag (saying it would be hilarious) and that he deliberately "had a good fumble".

To me this Franken story is similar; an experienced comic, seeing something as “hilarious” but neglecting to bring his presumed collaborator with him. There are parallels with the Brando/Bertolucci/ Schneider episode from “Last Tango in Paris”, where a scene was shot for dramatic effect in a way considered inappropriate to the young actress, but with which she felt obliged to agree.

It’s completely different to the sexual power dynamics in other stories going around at the moment. This in no way absolves Franken, but perhaps puts his non-sexual inappropriate behaviour into some context.
    How is it "completely different" (quite a strong statement)? Are you suggesting that sexual power dynamics were somehow not a factor?

You say 'This in no way absolves Franken', but then why make the case that sexual power dynamics were somehow not a play?

Some could interpret that as saying that Leeann Tweeden 'couldn't take a joke'?

I also note your use of the word 'inappropriate'. I hope you are not in any sense reducing the alleged sex assault to the mere level of inappropriateness? Reminder: it is alleged that he "aggressively stuck his tongue in [her] mouth."

Quote Originally Posted by SeanieFitz View Post
    You seem to be really making this a political football rather than what it is, sexual abuse. Most people are horrified at the abuse and the extent of it however you seem to be more interested in scoring political points against the dems/liberal left.

Are you horrified at the extent and nature of the abuse or are you just horrified because you believe not enough blame is being apportioned on the Dems?
    Sexual abuse? Really?

Certainly, he was being a complete dick, but sexual abuse?

Page 13 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment