Register to Comment
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Quote Originally Posted by gracethepirate View Post
    More good comment about the recent elections:

Democrats Actually Tried This Time. They Need to Keep It Up.

Three takeaways from a very good election for Democrats.

1. Democrats can win some elections when they bother to run candidates.
    Apparently they did not contest all the seats in the 2015 elections, only 23 seats.

2. Tuesday night marked the beginning of the end of the 2016 primary. What [does Tomasky] mean by that? I mean first of all that the bitterness over the Clinton-Sanders primary hasn’t subsided, and it won’t fully for a while. But winning does change things.

3. Maybe now, finally, the major media will start interviewing Resistance people instead of white working-class Trumpers.

Regarding takeaway 3: so there was media bias by omission these past few months? Aha. No wonder I was thinking that the Dems weren't doing anything. Maybe Don "Capone" Trump was right: the mainstream media is biased (but not against him and his coterie)
    In 48 hours, suddenly the Democrats went from zeroes to heroes.

Safest to be sceptical, but I think the pundits have been obsessing with Trump, Congress and his agenda. And, of course, with Hillary Clinton, thanks to Trump. Was Obama still obsessed with beating John McCain or Mitt Romney one year later? Or Bush with Al Gore and John Kerry?

The real action has been at the grassroots. Who expected a TS woman elected against a Virginia homophobe? Or a man serious about gun control (he lost his girlfriend to a act of gun violence)? Or a Sikh Mayor of Hoboken who dresses in a turban, FFS? Or seats gained in Georgia? Or Medicaid expansion approved in Maine (the Governor will still try to block it)?

In Virginia, Healthcare trumped (!) Immigration as a concern of voters, and gives the Democrats an issue they can win on.

The only way is UP.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by owedtojoy View Post
    In 48 hours, suddenly the Democrats went from zeroes to heroes.

Safest to be sceptical, but I think the pundits have been obsessing with Trump, Congress and his agenda. And, of course, with Hillary Clinton, thanks to Trump. Was Obama still obsessed with beating John McCain or Mitt Romney one year later? Or Bush with Al Gore and John Kerry?

The real action has been at the grassroots. Who expected a TS woman elected against a Virginia homophobe? Or a man serious about gun control (he lost his girlfriend to a act of gun violence)? Or a Sikh Mayor of Hoboken who dresses in a turban, FFS? Or seats gained in Georgia? Or Medicaid expansion approved in Maine (the Governor will still try to block it)?

In Virginia, Healthcare trumped (!) Immigration as a concern of voters, and gives the Democrats an issue they can win on.

The only way is UP.
    I still cannot understand why the Dems did not field candidates in ALL the electorates in 2015. This was at state level, maybe the gerrymander was so great there was no chance of winning, and/or there was not enough money in the coffers because of that US$24 million debt (caused by Obama). Even so, a major party not competing in an election is an absolute disgrace.

I am so glad the awakening is happening at the grassroots level. And so many women candidates. I am sure that is part of HRC's heritage.

Bernie has his say:

How to Fix the Democratic Party

It’s time we come together to enact real reform—only then can we defeat Donald Trump and retake the country.

A good article comparing the aftermath of the 2004 and 2017 elections.

Both were Democrat disasters - Republicans won the Presidency, House and Senate. 2004 was widely hailed as a critical election for cultural values, cementing the triumph of the Karl Rove agenda - for God, for Guns, against Gays, against Gay marriage, against Saddam Hussein, against Islam, against terrorism and for a militant American nationalist programme abroad.

Two years later, the Democrats took control of House and Senate, four years later, Barack Obama was President.

Democrats are glad they lost in 2004 and dodged the twin bullets of Iraq and recession. Will they be ultimately glad they lost in 2017, too?

The best analogy to Donald Trump in 2017 is George W. Bush in 2005

I still cannot understand why the Dems did not field candidates in ALL the electorates in 2015. This was at state level, maybe the gerrymander was so great there was no chance of winning, and/or there was not enough money in the coffers because of that US$24 million debt (caused by Obama). Even so, a major party not competing in an election is an absolute disgrace.

I am so glad the awakening is happening at the grassroots level. And so many women candidates. I am sure that is part of HRC's heritage.
    Loath as I am to say it, it is also Trump's legacy, though for reasons he would not like.

Its great the Democratic party is in a hole, it will smooth out the floor to Trump's reelection.

I am banned from the trump gets caught thread and the immediate reprecussions of president Trump

No one would vote for them in those areas. Same as no one would vote for your country woman Natalie Bennett in the British general election. Deposits would be lost

Politics.ie have banned me from several threads

Democrats will need to distance themselves from Wall Street, Hollywood and Silicon Valley Oligarchs if they are to progress and seek to actually acquire and hold power.

Whilst allocating more money where the best and most likely results can be obtained, they absolutely should be running everywhere and pay attention to trends and particularly appealing candidates, e.g.,
    Oklahoma Tried the GOP Agenda. Now, It's Electing Democrats

Quote Originally Posted by Degeneration X View Post

Democrats will need to distance themselves from Wall Street, Hollywood and Silicon Valley Oligarchs if they are to progress and seek to actually acquire and hold power.
    This is just another flavour of "Democrats are sex abusers, while Republicans just want a good, clean ride"

As if the Koch Brothers, collectively the largest single fortune in the world, did not exist. As if Steve Bannon's fascist adventures were not funded by the Mercers. As if Trump has not appointed Wall Street appointee after Wall Street appointee. As if he was not dancing to a plutocrats' agenda.

https://www.salon.com/2017/06/26/gop...nda-is-passed/

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment