Register to Comment
Page 1 of 130 1231151101 ... LastLast
Like Tree613Likes

Why Trump isn't all wrong on the NFL/NBA protesters.

Readers may be aware that for some months now, some players in the NFL and NBA leagues have been refusing to salute the US flag or to sing the US national anthem at matches in protest at racial discrimination in the country.

NFL players protest during national anthem (Source: CNN)

In a typically colourful speech on Friday night in Alabama, Trump addressed this issue, referring to them as sons of b**ches and calling for them to be fired. He went on to lambast those who show "total disrespect of our heritage, a total disrespect of everything that we stand for. Everything that we stand for".

Unsurprisingly, the comments got a widespread and negative reaction with some labelling them divisive.

However, I have a wee problem. Why would an American show disrespect for their flag or national anthem as a protest against injustice? Why would anyone from any country EVER do that? .

Surely, a better approach would be to argue that the ones causing injustice are the ones showing disrespect for the flag and anthem. There is much in "The Star Spangled Banner" about freedom, justice and unity and, in my humble opinion, the protesters should be embracing the sentiment and symbolism, not rejecting them.

What they're doing now is setting themselves against the country as a whole and alienating patriotically-minded people who would otherwise be sympathetic to their cause.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Wascurito View Post
    Readers may be aware that for some months now, some players in the NFL and NBA leagues have been refusing to salute the US flag or to sing the US national anthem at matches in protest at racial discrimination in the country.

In a typically colourful speech on Friday night in Alabama, Trump addressed this issue, referring to them as sons of b**ches and calling for them to be fired. He went on to lambast those who show "total disrespect of our heritage, a total disrespect of everything that we stand for. Everything that we stand for".

Unsurprisingly, the comments got a widespread and negative reaction with some labelling them divisive.

However, I have a wee problem. Why would an American show disrespect for their flag or national anthem as a protest against injustice? Why would anyone from any country EVER do that? .

Surely, a better approach would be to argue that the ones causing injustice are the ones showing disrespect for the flag and anthem. There is much in "The Star Spangled Banner" about freedom, justice and unity and, in my humble opinion, the protesters should be embracing the sentiment and symbolism, not rejecting them.

What they're doing now is setting themselves against the country as a whole and alienating patriotically-minded people who would otherwise be sympathetic to their cause.
    It comes from the "we think you're disrespecting us, so we're definitely going to disrespect you" school of protest.
    Not too much thinking going on and not very productive.

Why was none of this an issue when there was a black man in the White house? All these ''protests'' are bulls hit. It's absurd and watching wealthy Americans trying to crap on blue collar poor America is obscene. Wealthy liberals, unemployed black America and white slactivists patting themselves on the back and blaming Trump.

There was no talk of pulling down statues when Obama was president. All of these issues existed under Obama, it's the Democrats and wealthy ''pastors''/civil rights leaders from the '60's who are stirring this crap up.

Quote Originally Posted by tonic View Post
    It comes from the "we think you're disrespecting us, so we're definitely going to disrespect you" school of protest. Not too much thinking going on and not very productive.
    I think it's actually counterproductive. It's annoying people who would otherwise be likely to be supportive.

Quote Originally Posted by Wascurito View Post

Opinions are like arse holes.

White Irish guy with no clue of what it's like to grow up black in America doesn't like how black people express them selves or their opinions.

I assume you agree with Herr Drumpf in that Nazi's are fine people and the football players etc are sonsof butches.

Quote Originally Posted by eoghanacht View Post

White Irish guy with no clue of what it's like to grow up black in America doesn't like how black people express them selves or their opinions.

I assume you agree with Herr Drumpf in that Nazi's are fine people and the football players etc are sonsof butches.
    I'll ask again, why was none of this happening under Obama? A black man in the White house for 2 terms managed to destroy race relations in America, blaming Trump isn't just stupid, it's ignorant. Lots of minorities grow up poor in America, funny how they get off their asses and work but black workshy America still blames whitey for it's failures.

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinpie View Post
    I'll ask again, why was none of this happening under Obama? A black man in the White house for 2 terms managed to destroy race relations in America, blaming Trump isn't just stupid, it's ignorant. Lots of minorities grow up poor in America, funny how they get off their asses and work but black workshy America still blames whitey for it's failures.
    Racist scumbag.

I'm glad all the tolls have found a place to play with themselves

The OP shows a better knowledge of american history and culture than most americans have.

Ah, thanks for injecting a tone of spite into the debate. Perhaps I should react similarly next time you comment on any issue that doesn't pertain directly to your gender, ethnicity and nationality.

When you assume..... (just you, not me).

Page 1 of 130 1231151101 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment