Register to Comment
Page 6 of 668 FirstFirst ... 456781656106506 ... LastLast
Like Tree2600Likes

Quote Originally Posted by PeacefulViking View Post
    The statues are not destroyed usually, just moved. Also they are not artistic masterpieces like the Buddha statues in most people's views. Do you think every statue ever raised must be left where it is? If North Korea becomes democratic do they have to leave all the monuments of the previous regime in place?
    Nope, not every statue.
    History always wants some remaining to record what it was like.
    Five Lenin statues in unexpected places - BBC News

But not everyone wanted this statue of Lee gone.
    This was well known.
    Moving it was a purposeful act of provocation.

I'm sure Lee was a cúnt.
    But sure aren't most who have a statue in their honour.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
    Berlin must be full of SJWs - not a single statue of Hitler to be found in any public square.
    Post of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_anderson View Post
    Nope, not every statue.
    History always wants some remaining to record what it was like.
    Five Lenin statues in unexpected places - BBC News

But not everyone wanted this statue of Lee gone.
    This was well known.
    Moving it was a purposeful act of provocation.

I'm sure Lee was a cúnt.
    But sure aren't most who have a statue in their honour.
    No, they're not.

Was Edmund Burke? Yeats? O'Connell?

Not all memorials are equal. Not all men are deserving of memorials.

Quote Originally Posted by Wascurito View Post
    By the same token, presumably you feel that those "SJW" protesters who tore down statues of Stalin and Lenin were deserving of your contempt. Likewise, the Iraqis tearing down the statue of Saddam Hussein? All silly snowflakes, eh?
    lol
    Perfect example you picked.

When Kadhim al-Jabbouri struck the statue of Saddam Hussein in downtown Baghdad with his sledgehammer in April 2003, he became the face of what was then a huge moment of triumph and hope for Iraq. The country's oppressive dictator had been ousted, and as the sculpture of him tumbled to the ground and American troops rolled in, the mood was exultant.

More than 13 years later, however, the man of that moment said in an interview with the BBC that he regrets toppling the statue because of everything that followed.

"Now, when I go past that statue, I feel pain and shame," al-Jabbouri told the BBC. "I ask myself, Why did I topple that statue?"

The Guy Who Toppled Saddam Hussein's Statue Wishes He Hadn't | Time.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
    No, they're not.

Was Edmund Burke? Yeats? O'Connell?

Not all memorials are equal. Not all men are deserving of memorials.
    I meant military ones.
    Not poets obviously.

The Chump must take some of the responsibility for what has happened - his rhetoric during the campaign and since - Make America great again, anti immigrant stance etc has been music - to the ears of those on that march and the alt right. His condemnation of hate in both sides is hypocritical given his clear hate and treatment of President Obama and anyone who disagrees with him.

Quote Originally Posted by odie1kanobe View Post
    Robert E Lee was a decorated US Military hero prior to US Civil War.
    He sided with his state, he was a slave owner who had inherited slaves but released them in 5 years as required by his fathers will.

Personally would leave statues in his home state.
    Somewhere less conspicuous in his home state. After all, he did rebel against his own government for the cause of slavery.

Quote Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
    I'm not suggesting that we try to rewrite history by moving / destroying every name and monument relating to our past. That's not practical. For example, the destruction of Nelson's Pillar I would classify as vandalism.

On the other hand, how would a statue of Cromwell be received in Drogheda and would it be reasonable to charge one of its citizens if he or she decided to destroy it? Would it be reasonable for the people of Drogheda to want to have it removed?

It's all down to the legacy of the individual. Should Derry erect a memorial to the leader of 2 Para for his efforts to maintain public order?

Lee fought for the right of wealthy landowners to keep slaves. In that context he merits no respect.
    You're now saying we shouldn't rewrite history....,,except where we should rewrite it. Which is it and who are to be the arbiters of what should stand and what should fall? And Washington and Jefferson kept slaves. So should we rename Washington?

Trinity College Dublin, to give it is small name, has statues and libraries to slave-owning scum.
    Is Mercurial a sock puppet for Stringjack who bans me for drawing attention to Kurdish war crimes against Assyrians, Arabs and Yezidi?

Who he? Alleged philosopher and alleged heretical priest many USA places, one Nazi uni in particular is called after this swine.
    This piece of Protestant shYYt bought several slaves in New England as presents. His favourite was a fourteen year old m ale twink he used as a "hot water bottle". Berkeley even gaver an entire slave plantation to Yale. This "gift" from this Protestant scubbag and this funded Yale's first set of scholarship and they are stil awarded to this day, though most likely "no nigg$$rs need apply"
    Compared to the Satan spawn of "Irish" Protestants, this song ain't that bad

or this one, Irish men led by an Irish Protestant Republican leader

Trinity College: SJWs in a nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    You're now saying we shouldn't rewrite history....,,except where we should rewrite it. Which is it and who are to be the arbiters of what should stand and what should fall? And Washington and Jefferson kept slaves. So should we rename Washington?
    History is constantly being rewritten. We the living are the arbiters.

Page 6 of 668 FirstFirst ... 456781656106506 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment