Register to Comment
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
    I disagree with Trump on coal. The era of coal is over.

Appalachia needs a new business model, apart from joining the military or "bread & circuses".

The residents need to get rid of the televisions. Try reading and learning instead.

However, OwedtoQatar, you might wish to get over the HRC thing.
    Why, I already have. This is about the next election, not the last one.

Though, the bare-faced cynicism of Trump's last campaign, in which you participated to the full, is worthy of a mention more than once. He will no doubt try it on again.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by mr_anderson View Post
    It's not.
    It is estimated that in 8 years, practically all new cars will be electric, not petrol or diesel.
    And that's all you need.
    Its a very silly belief, there are no signs that battery technology will allow for electric cars within 8 years.

Quote Originally Posted by benroe View Post
    Your theory falls down here, wealthy elites did not elect Trump, joe soap did.
    Joe Soap is more easily fooled, sad to say.

And I need only mention the words "Robert Mercer".

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...p-nigel-farage

And "Scott Pruitt", not a billionaire, but an ambitious lawyer, owned by the fossil fuel industry.

https://newrepublic.com/article/1426...trump-deserves

Incidentally, I am not one for conspiracy theories in general, but it seems worth while to put this one out there. It is a lot better than most.

Quote Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
    Nuclear provides many options that are less polluting
    The material most often used in nuclear power plants is the element uranium. Although uranium is found in rocks all over the world, nuclear power plants usually use a very rare type of uranium, U-235. Uranium is a non-renewable resource.

Also, given Fukushima, is an increased reliance on nuclear power such a good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    Its a very silly belief, there are no signs that battery technology will allow for electric cars within 8 years.
    There are plenty of signs, though I am not sure if "8 years" is the timeline.

Future batteries, coming soon: Charge in seconds, last months and power over the air - Pocket-lint

Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    He's drinking the Elon Musk koolade, no bad thing betimes but Tesla's problem is more mundane, how to get actual production levels to match these expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by owedtojoy View Post
    There are plenty of signs, though I am not sure if "8 years" is the timeline.
    There are incremental developments taking place but to completely replace the ICE, there will need to be a completely revolutionary storage system and there are no signs of that happening at present.

Personally I believe the future is in two forms of renewable energy, solar and wind.

Solar meaning relying on the sunshine coming in through the windows of your house to provide a bit of heat.

Wind as in back to using sails.

Not exactly the utopia some envisage, but at least it will tick the renewable box.

Thorium.

It was discontinued during the Cold War in preference to Uranium.

Thorium provides alternatives to Base Load Electricity supply.

Renewable sources aee variable. An anchor supply is needed via plants.

Batteries are useful - but the issue of scale requires base load.

Trump points toward coal. I think Thorium Nuclear is much better.

Appalachia needs a better business model.

Quote Originally Posted by owedtojoy View Post
    Those who love conspiracy theories may like this one, my own personal deduction.

It is clear from Trump's posturing and foreign policy visits that he loves these countries above all others - Russia and Saudi Arabia, a surrogate for a plethora of gulf states. With Russia as a "grey area", the fact is that if Cruz, Rubio or Bush had won the Presidency, their policy in relation to fossil fuel would not be much different.

Both Russia and Saudi Arabia are brutal authoritarian regimes, enough to provoke disgust among most, but they all have something else in common - oil, or more accurately fossil fuel. Both are petro-states with a command of the world's greatest natural resource.

OTOH, other US allies from the Cold War era, are fossil fuel consumers rather than producers, and this are less important in Trumptopia.

So, let us say that a wealthy and powerful elite have decided that command of the world's oil and gas resources is the key to global power in the 21st century and have elected Trump to make sure command of those resources are kept in the "right" (our) hands?

An alliance of petro-states with command of 75% of fossil fuel resources could pretty much dominate the planet. It is going to take decades for alternative sources to be sufficiently available to the displace what are now "traditional" fuel sources. They pollute and alter the climate, but if you are wealthy enough, you probably would not consider that a problem.

At worst, there is a "window" in which fossil fuels are extremely important - the next generation of alternative power sources will have be made with energy generated by fossil fuels. In that window, you can make a pile of money.

So forget about the "clash of civilisations" and "terrorism" (just a word to throw that those who stand in your way): follow the fossil fuel. Oh, terrorists do exist, but remember both Saudi Arabia and Russia funded a lot of them.

But why Iran as an enemy? There are complications over Israel, which has influence in Washington, and of course Saudi Arabia see Iran as its main rival. So the Mullah's are not at the Top Table - yet. They could make it via Russia, which is there ally, and a brokered Israel-Palestine agreement.

Outside the Pale, as we saw, are the 6 states left G7 states and the Paris Accord, along with China, and the majority of the world's states, who signed up to an Agreement that virtually guaranteed the death of fossil fuel as an industry, committed the world to leaving most of its fossil fuel reserves in the ground. An Agreement that would strand $trillions in assets of Russia, Saudi Arabia and the USA.

So when Trump withdraws the US from the Paris Agreement, I expect the petro-states to follow. Not only that, they will make a strong attempt to destroy the Accord completely. Even if they stay the agreement, they can still destroy it from the inside. Time will tell.

So I am putting it out there as the conspiracy theory du jour. An interesting one to watch over the coming months and years.

PS Just off on a a 6-week vacation, where I intend to not follow news or sports. Ok, maybe a little.
    Alternative energy production is now quite advanced globally. The gulf states are amongst the leaders in the field. California runs on 29% renewables. Scandinavia and Germany are very well on the way, and in some cases have reached the tipping.

China and India, I'm sure have made provsiion too.

So what would the end game be form the conspiracy theorists ?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment