Register to Comment
Page 1 of 78 1231151 ... LastLast
Like Tree210Likes

Obamacare Repeal/Replace thread

So will Trump be able to deliver on plan to "repeal and replace" Obamacare?

A journo asked Spicer today why (as she put it), Senator Cotton (Arkansas) was being given a blessing to criticise the House Bill. Spicer sortof skirted the issue, saying they were talking to Cotton.

Meanwhile, Breitbart has just released an October tape of Ryan saying he wouldnt defend then candidate Trump. So is the WH using healthcare as a ruse to punish Ryan for last year?

One third of US counties have just one health insurer, and premiums have risen 22% a year since Obamacare on average. This undermines the promise Obamacare would reduce premiums. There are also reports Trump is threatening to support primary challengers to conservative GOP rebels who dont support the Bill. Spicer has declined to comment on those rumours when asked just now.
    Last edited by Dame_Enda; 14th March 2017 at 08:06 PM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    Nope.

Well!! Apparently, they're scrapping "Obamacare" but the Affordable Care Act is fine so they'll all be warm and fuzzy.

Fox just reporting plans for a conference call between Trump, Ryan and McCarthy to negotiate possible changes to the Bill. Spicer says CBO has been "consistently wrong". WH OMB Director points out the CBO also originally predicted Obamacare would have 24 million on it, when in fact its 9 million. Critics respond that this is because of GOP Governors refusing to expand Medicaid.

A journo asked Spicer today why (as she put it), Senator Cotton (Arkansas) was being given a blessing to criticise the House Bill. Spicer sortof skirted the issue, saying they were talking to Cotton.

Meanwhile, Breitbart has just released an October tape of Ryan saying he wouldnt defend then candidate Trump. So is the WH using healthcare as a ruse to punish Ryan for last year?

One third of US counties have just one health insurer, and premiums have risen 22% a year since Obamacare on average. This undermines the promise Obamacare would reduce premiums. There are also reports Trump is threatening to support primary challengers to conservative GOP rebels who dont support the Bill. Spicer has declined to comment on those rumours when asked just now.

Trump is also promising to reduce premiums, yet is presenting nothing more than Obamacare 2.0.

Tinkering with Obamacare isn't repealing the whole thing and replacing it with something totally different.

*bump*

We need a new Obamacare/ACA thread. I (for one) am struggling to find out what's different about Trump's new proposals.

Also, if the main problem with Obamacare/ACA was lack of competition, then how will the new proposals resolve that?

Quote Originally Posted by Oscurito View Post
    *bump*

We need a new Obamacare/ACA thread. I (for one) am struggling to find out what's different about Trump's new proposals.

Also, if the main problem with Obamacare/ACA was lack of competition, then how will the new proposals resolve that?
    What I know:

The first phase is the American Health Care Act (AHCA), which can pass with 51 votes. Later phases will require 60 votes to get through the Senate because Senate rules say the 60 vote rule applies for legislation except for budget-reconciliation (which has to be deficit-neutral). Phase 1 would outsource Medicaid to the states in the form of bloc-grants. It would also abolish the individual mandate but introduce a tax penalty for the non-insured - which some regard as a mandate by another name. Also the Obamacare subsidies are being replaced with tax credits. Pre-existing conditions will continue to be a bar to discrimination by insurers as far as I know, and children will continue to be allowed stay on their parents plan until 26 as per Obamacare.

Later phases, requiring new legislation passed under the 60 vote rule in the Senate, would allow purchase of health insurance across state lines. The WH says this would reduce premiums through competition, and points out that one third of countries have only one health insurer.

The House Freedom Caucus complains that giving a tax credit to someone who doesnt pay income tax is a new "entitlement". One GOP Rep have also argued that the poor should choose between an Iphone and health insurance. They call the Ryan plan "Obamacare Lite".
    Last edited by Dame_Enda; 14th March 2017 at 08:05 PM.

What I know:

The first phase is the American Health Care Act (AHCA), which can pass with 51 votes. Later phases will require 60 votes to get through the Senate because Senate rules say the 60 vote rule applies for legislation except for budget-reconciliation (which has to be deficit-neutral). Phase 1 would outsource Medicaid to the states in the form of bloc-grants. It would also abolish the individual mandate but introduce a tax penalty for the non-insured - which some regard as a mandate by another name. Also the Obamacare subsidies are being replaced with tax credits. Pre-existing conditions will continue to be a bar to discrimination by insurers as far as I know, and children will continue to be allowed stay on their parents plan until 26 as per Obamacare.

Later phases, requiring new legislation passed under the 60 vote rule in the Senate, would allow purchase of health insurance across state lines. The WH says this would reduce premiums through competition, and points out that one third of countries have only one health insurer.

The House Freedom Caucus complains that giving a tax credit to someone who doesnt pay income tax is a new "entitlement". One GOP Rep have also argued that the poor should choose between an Iphone and health insurance. They call the Ryan plan "Obamacare Lite".
    It doesn't surprise me that some Republicans would have a problem with Trump's latest proposals. This is one of the (few) issues on which I'd be inclined to cut Trump some slack. The guy is a populist after all and given a choice between a populist and some Big Healthcare lobbyist stooge, I'd go for the populist every time.

Anyway, I'll need to do more reading around, It's hard to get a neutral, agenda-free site.

"Repeal and replace" my arse.

What happened to the promise of "health insurance for everyone"?

There was a philosophy in some circles that if you can’t pay for it, you don’t get it. That’s not going to happen with us,” Trump told the Post. “We’re going to have insurance for everybody.

Healthcare Bill: CBO Shows Donald Trump's Broken Promises | Time.com

By 2018, the Congressional Budget Office estimates that 14 million additional people would be uninsured, a number that would rise to 21 million in 2020 and 24 million in 2026.

Trump: “I’m not going to cut Social Security like every other Republican and I’m not going to cut Medicare or Medicaid."

Page 1 of 78 1231151 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment