Register to Comment
Page 1301 of 1325 FirstFirst ... 301801120112511291129913001301130213031311 ... LastLast
Results 13,001 to 13,010 of 13249
Like Tree5661Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Des Quirell View Post
    Surely his own lawyers can advise their local team. And doesn't anyone have the right to address the court themselves or via proxy in their own defence so long as that proxy right is established?
    Trump could appear himself in certain matters a member of the family can appear. Bit in this case a local solicitor has been engaged and she has instructed a barrister who operates on South Western Circuit, at least according to his listing on lawlibrary.

http://www.thejournal.ie/trump-irish-court-3594341-Sep2017/

At Kilrush District Court, Pat Whyms BL appeared on behalf of the billionaire in the case against Cork civil engineer, John V Lennon.

He said that he was instructed in the case by Ennis based solicitor, Lorraine Burke, who was also in court today.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Researchwill View Post
    Trump could appear himself in certain matters a member of the family can appear. Bit in this case a local solicitor has been engaged and she has instructed a barrister who operates on South Western Circuit, at least according to his listing on lawlibrary.

Lawyers for Donald Trump appear in Clare court seeking to have

At Kilrush District Court, Pat Whyms BL appeared on behalf of the billionaire in the case against Cork civil engineer, John V Lennon.

He said that he was instructed in the case by Ennis based solicitor, Lorraine Burke, who was also in court today.
    Oh, I know that he'd be foolish not to use local talent with local (i.e. Irish knowledge) and I'm aware of the legal maxim that the man who represents himself in court has a fool for a client, but could any case be defended by anybody nominated by the defendant? I've read in passing of cases in Irish law where a defendant took on the burden of his own defence himself and ended up having to be defended from himself with some direction from the judge as to what conststituted the law under discussion, what constituted evidence in the case, what constituted proper questioning and cross examination, and finally, how he should comport himself in the court room. What struck me (and maybe it shouldn't, having spoken to judges I know) was that the court acted with great patience in guiding the defence in its conduct of the case. The court wants judgments which don't fail on appeal - and which certainly don't fail on an obvious failure by a defendant presenting their own case in term of a move by the plaintiff or the prosecutor which would be a valid basis for a subsequent appeal.

I may be utterly in error of my understanding in this, but my impression was that in certain cases the judges intervene in that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Quirell View Post
    Oh, I know that he'd be foolish not to use local talent with local (i.e. Irish knowledge) and I'm aware of the legal maxim that the man who represents himself in court has a fool for a client, but could any case be defended by anybody nominated by the defendant? I've read in passing of cases in Irish law where a defendant took on the burden of his own defence himself and ended up having to be defended from himself with some direction from the judge as to what conststituted the law under discussion, what constituted evidence in the case, what constituted proper questioning and cross examination, and finally, how he should comport himself in the court room. What struck me (and maybe it shouldn't, having spoken to judges I know) was that the court acted with great patience in guiding the defence in its conduct of the case. The court wants judgments which don't fail on appeal - and which certainly don't fail on an obvious failure by a defendant presenting their own case in term of a move by the plaintiff or the prosecutor which would be a valid basis for a subsequent appeal.

I may be utterly in error of my understanding in this, but my impression was that in certain cases the judges intervene in that way.
    A person in Ireland has a right to act for himself, while he may have assistance of a friend that friend can not act as by law the only persons allowed to act in Court are the person himself or a solicitor or a Barrister properly instructed by a solicitor. A Judge may give a litigant in person extra leeway, but i am unaware of a judge insisting on a person getting a solicitor. There of course may be times that a Court decides that it is in the persons best interest to have legal representation, especially in Criminal Cases.

Of course the rules of Court for each court should be looked at to see exactly what the rules say.

HC72 - McKenzie Friends : PRACTICE DIRECTIONS : Courts Service of Ireland

"Mike Flynn Refuses To Testify On Russia Before Senate Intelligence Committee, Again

"Flynn has also been subpoenaed by the House intelligence committee, which is conducting a separate probe into Russia's election meddling.

"A committee source tells CNN that since the public subpoena for his business records, the House intelligence committee has not made additional requests for documents or testimony, but that does not preclude future requests.

Flynn refusing new request to speak to Hill committee - CNNPolitics

"Flynn's Son is Subject of Mueller Investigation"

"WASHINGTON — Michael G. Flynn, the son of President Donald Trump's former national security adviser, is a subject of the federal investigation into Russian meddling in the presidential election and possible collusion between Moscow and the Trump campaign, according to four current and former government officials.

"The inquiry into Flynn is focused at least in part on his work with his father's lobbying firm, Flynn Intel Group, three current and former officials said. It's unclear when the focus on Flynn began.

NBC News

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Crotta Cliach View Post
    "Mike Flynn Refuses To Testify On Russia Before Senate Intelligence Committee, Again

"Flynn has also been subpoenaed by the House intelligence committee, which is conducting a separate probe into Russia's election meddling.

"A committee source tells CNN that since the public subpoena for his business records, the House intelligence committee has not made additional requests for documents or testimony, but that does not preclude future requests.

Flynn refusing new request to speak to Hill committee - CNNPolitics
    If he was already talking to Mueller, he may be under Muellers instructions not to answer questions by the Congress.

"JEFF SESSIONS' RUSSIA CONTACTS SPARK LAWSUIT FOR ADVICE THE FBI GAVE HIM

A new lawsuit has challenged the FBI to release advice it gave Attorney General Jeff Sessions about whether his contacts with Russia’s ambassador to the U.S. during the 2016 election should have been included on his security clearance application.

After CNN revealed Sessions had at least two meetings with Russian ambassador Sergey Kislyak in May, the attorney general said he left contacts with the dignitary off his application because he was told to by the FBI.

Later it was revealed Sessions met with Kislyak as many as three times after he testified: “I did not have communications with the Russians” during his Senate confirmation hearing. Sessions released a redacted copy of his application form in July.

The new lawsuit is calling for the FBI to produce all written or oral instructions of advice they gave Sessions or his staff to back up the attorney general’s claims.

“These documents should be easy to produce,” Keegan said. “We look forward to receiving them promptly from the FBI.”

http://www.newsweek.com/jeff-session...ave-him-664119
    Last edited by Mrs. Crotta Cliach; 13th September 2017 at 08:34 PM. Reason: added link

You do realise that Mueller is a Republican, don't you?

"Exclusive: Justice Department declines Senate request to interview FBI officials over Comey firing

CNN)The Justice Department is preventing Senate investigators from interviewing two top FBI officials who could provide first-hand testimony over the firing of former FBI Director James Comey, the latest sign that Special Counsel Robert Mueller could be investigating the circumstances around the firing, officials tell CNN.

Justice declines Senate request to interview FBI officials - CNNPolitics

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment