Register to Comment
Page 57 of 58 FirstFirst ... 74755565758 LastLast
Like Tree306Likes

Quote Originally Posted by gracethepirate View Post
    Some staff at Waitrose (and other supermarkets) must spend their whole lives organising the Christmas goods for sale. Right now I have no doubt they are preparing for Christmas 2018, probably 2019 as well.

Waitrose is chocablock with goodies (or baddies if you are diabetic), baubles, tat and so forth, and a lot of the food for sale isn't meant for Christmas celebrations because their "use by" date is in November!

I don't recall seeing a single Christ child, or manger or any of the traditional Christmas tableaux, just trees, snow, Santa etc. drawn on packets of some food, food, indulgent food.
    I can never remember christmas food packaging having religious imagery. No doubt if it did, we'd have some complaining (with some legitimacy) about using religious imagery to sell food items. The only things in shops I ever remember having religious imagery was Christmas cards and - for those shops that sold them - cribs and the like - i.e. things that people deliberately chose to buy for the religious design.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Grace: I don't recall seeing a single Christ child, or manger or any of the traditional Christmas tableaux, just trees, snow, Santa etc. drawn on packets of some food, food, indulgent food.
    It seems the Christian era imposition is ending and we're getting back to the real celebration.

Quote Originally Posted by Lúidín View Post
    It seems the Christian era imposition is ending and we're getting back to the real celebration.
    Go Winterlude!

Quote Originally Posted by livingstone View Post
    I can never remember christmas food packaging having religious imagery. No doubt if it did, we'd have some complaining (with some legitimacy) about using religious imagery to sell food items. The only things in shops I ever remember having religious imagery was Christmas cards and - for those shops that sold them - cribs and the like - i.e. things that people deliberately chose to buy for the religious design.
    Sorry, I was unclear (as usual). I meant there were no mangers etc in the decorations. I don't recall ever seeing the Christ child on food packaging either!

Quote Originally Posted by Dearghoul View Post
    They probably figure that in Deptford, people are well used to past sell by dates.
    Why do you keep talking about Deptford? Do you live there?

There aren't any Waitroses in Deptford afaik. Also the same food is sold in all Waitrose stores.
    Last edited by gracethepirate; 14th November 2017 at 10:52 PM.

Not having TV, I thought I'd avoid the Sainsbury's, John Lewis etc Christmas ads, but the Sainsburys one is advertising on YouTube's diy videos

Quote Originally Posted by gracethepirate View Post
    Not having TV, I thought I'd avoid the Sainsbury's, John Lewis etc Christmas ads, but the Sainsburys one is advertising on YouTube's diy videos
    The internet is probably a huge market for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rural View Post
    Ashes and cinders!
    Don't forget the sack cloth

Quote Originally Posted by Rural View Post
    Ashes and cinders!
    Are you talking about the Australia vs England cricket series which starts soon? The Ashes is the name, cinders is England's hopes dashed.

If you are you are seriously off topic.

why not have a white santa for the white kids, a black santa for the black kids at different store and so on for other races etc so the have santa within their culture

I know a man married to a Polish girl. Their son told me the Polish Santa goes to their house
    Last edited by rob; 14th November 2017 at 08:18 PM.

Page 57 of 58 FirstFirst ... 74755565758 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment