Register to Comment
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 207
  1. #161
    owedtojoy owedtojoy is offline
    owedtojoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    24,140

    Cross posted from the Climate change debate thread. With an unprecedented drought in Texas looking like it will extend into another year, climate change may still be an embarrassing issue for Perry. After all, God has clearly not answered his prayers, or those of his constituency.

    Quote Originally Posted by SirCharles View Post
    Dessler: No Weather event unrelated to Climate Change Anymore




    Drought-smacked Houston TV host turns to scientists for answers - Andrew Dessler, Ph.D, Professor of Atmospheric Sciences, Texas A&M University and David Bieler, Ph.D
    Chair & Associate Professor Geology, Centenary College of Louisiana.
    It is good that interviews like this are going out on US TV ... but this seems like a talk show of minority interest.

    I just wonder when the mainstream media will take up this question and start asking the tough questions of people like Rick Perry. It is not as if extended droughts, massive wildfires and high temperatures have not being predicted. What has he and his predecessors done to prepare Texas? Well, we know one thing - Perry cut the budget of every agency that might have been able to advise about or mitigate these disasters.

    Prayers for rain just don't cut it. Besides, the prayers were two months ago - I think God has answered: Start helping yourselves first.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #162
    liamfoley liamfoley is offline
    liamfoley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,269

    Quote Originally Posted by owedtojoy View Post
    Cross posted from the Climate change debate thread. With an unprecedented drought in Texas looking like it will extend into another year, climate change may still be an embarrassing issue for Perry. After all, God has clearly not answered his prayers, or those of his constituency.



    It is good that interviews like this are going out on US TV ... but this seems like a talk show of minority interest.

    I just wonder when the mainstream media will take up this question and start asking the tough questions of people like Rick Perry. It is not as if extended droughts, massive wildfires and high temperatures have not being predicted. What has he and his predecessors done to prepare Texas? Well, we know one thing - Perry cut the budget of every agency that might have been able to advise about or mitigate these disasters.

    Prayers for rain just don't cut it. Besides, the prayers were two months ago - I think God has answered: Start helping yourselves first.
    Your argument: because there is a drought in Texas this proves anthropogenic global warming. You mock Perry because in your eyes he doesn't understand science yet you don't sem to show much regard for science yourself.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #163
    owedtojoy owedtojoy is offline
    owedtojoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    24,140

    Quote Originally Posted by liamfoley View Post
    Your argument: because there is a drought in Texas this proves anthropogenic global warming. You mock Perry because in your eyes he doesn't understand science yet you don't sem to show much regard for science yourself.
    On the contrary, Texas has a State Climatologist who disagrees with you. Professor John Nielsen-Gammon of Texas A&M thinks that global warming has added about an extra degree to the savage heat in Texas - the hottest summer ever recorded in any state.

    Perry should spend more time with Professor N-G and learn some science instead of posturing with the Jesus freaks.

    Even besides global warming, Perry's cuts to services are now looking decidedly ropey. If the drought continues, it won't do much for the sham "economic miracle" he is claiming for Texas.

    And Ron Paul's call to disband FEMA is looking like electoral suicide. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. President Obama must have had a little smile to himself when he signed off on Texas as a Disaster Area.

    Obama Declares Federal Disaster Area For Texas

    Texas Drought and Global Warming | Climate Abyss | a Chron.com blog

    N-G:
    For most people the extra degree or degree and a half was no big deal. For the rancher who’s managed to hang on until September but whose stock tank is going to run dry just a week or so before it would have been replenished by rain, or for the family whose house was just on the wrong side of the edge of the wildfire, a degree or degree and a half makes all the difference in the world.

    Summary

    Precipitation: The balance of evidence does not support the assertion that the rainfall deficit since October 2010 was made larger or more likely by global warming.

    Temperature: Compared to long-term averages of summer temperature, the rainfall deficit accounted for about 4 F of excess heat and global warming accounted for about 1 F of excess heat. Warmer temperatures lead to greater water demand, faster evaporation, and greater drying-out of potential fuels for fire. Thus, the impacts of the drought were enhanced by global warming
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #164
    liamfoley liamfoley is offline
    liamfoley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,269

    Quote Originally Posted by owedtojoy View Post
    On the contrary, Texas has a State Climatologist who disagrees with you. Professor John Nielsen-Gammon of Texas A&M thinks that global warming has added about an extra degree to the savage heat in Texas - the hottest summer ever recorded in any state.

    Perry should spend more time with Professor N-G and learn some science instead of posturing with the Jesus freaks.

    Even besides global warming, Perry's cuts to services are now looking decidedly ropey. If the drought continues, it won't do much for the sham "economic miracle" he is claiming for Texas.

    And Ron Paul's call to disband FEMA is looking like electoral suicide. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. President Obama must have had a little smile to himself when he signed off on Texas as a Disaster Area.

    Obama Declares Federal Disaster Area For Texas

    Texas Drought and Global Warming | Climate Abyss | a Chron.com blog
    Disagrees with me? I never laid out a position in that post. If you spent more time reading what people actually say instead of blindly posting what you think people say you might make an occasional accurate post. It takes very little by way of brains to keep posting quotes from other people's work, that can be found easily. You are just another global warming cultist.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #165
    owedtojoy owedtojoy is offline
    owedtojoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    24,140

    Quote Originally Posted by liamfoley View Post
    Disagrees with me? I never laid out a position in that post. If you spent more time reading what people actually say instead of blindly posting what you think people say you might make an occasional accurate post. It takes very little by way of brains to keep posting quotes from other people's work, that can be found easily. You are just another global warming cultist.
    Well, not, either. I am a professional scientist, though not an academic. When the facts change, I will change.

    I am sure readers will note that you prefer to attack me personally rather than deal with the evidence. That's about all you've got.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #166
    CanRonPaulSavetheUS CanRonPaulSavetheUS is offline

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    4,641

    Quote Originally Posted by owedtojoy View Post
    I am a professional scientist, though not an academic. .
    That's a good one. You are are on here 24 hours a day and 90% of what you write is total crap
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #167
    Telemachus Telemachus is offline
    Telemachus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,794

    Quote Originally Posted by owedtojoy View Post
    Well, not, either. I am a professional scientist, though not an academic. When the facts change, I will change.

    I am sure readers will note that you prefer to attack me personally rather than deal with the evidence. That's about all you've got.
    How does one justify calling oneself a scientist these days?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #168
    CanRonPaulSavetheUS CanRonPaulSavetheUS is offline

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    4,641

    Well he gets all his posts peer reviewed by that other noted Einstein by the name SirCharles.

    They are presently working on a new triangular wheel that eliminates methane gases being emitted by donkeys pulling Green Carts.

    In this way the sea will not cover The Statue of Liberty and Boraq Hussein will win in a landslide.

    Just like Pawlenty won as he predicted and the TeaParty lost in 2010.

    Trust these 2 brainiacs
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #169
    liamfoley liamfoley is offline
    liamfoley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,269

    Quote Originally Posted by owedtojoy View Post
    Well, not, either. I am a professional scientist, though not an academic. When the facts change, I will change.

    I am sure readers will note that you prefer to attack me personally rather than deal with the evidence. That's about all you've got.
    You accuse me of taking a position I never had and you accuse me of personal attacks? You have some nerve. It doesn't take much imagination or drive to go beyond the liberal press and give one piece of original analysis regarding Perry. You don't like him because he is Republican and the press tells you so. That is so boring and lazy.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #170
    Yehudah Yehudah is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    246

    Quote Originally Posted by liamfoley View Post
    You accuse me of taking a position I never had and you accuse me of personal attacks? You have some nerve. It doesn't take much imagination or drive to go beyond the liberal press and give one piece of original analysis regarding Perry. You don't like him because he is Republican and the press tells you so. That is so boring and lazy.
    And you love him because he is a Republican and...
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment