Register to Comment
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 97
Like Tree79Likes
  1. #1
    Lúidín Lúidín is offline
    Lúidín's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,147

    Solidarity 'think-in' before Dáil returns

    The Solidarity PbP organisation is holding a think-in to discuss upcoming issues, such as corporate tax, homelessness and the 8th Amendment referendum.

    Richard Boyd Barrett says a number of issues to be discussed at think in | BreakingNews.ie

    I'm sure many potential voters would welcome a chance to get involved in the discussion. Maybe one of our many left and republican parties might consider having such discussions in public.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #2
    Toland Toland is offline
    Toland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    71,056

    I would have hoped they'd give some thought to their opposition to water charges, and whether it was no more part of an opportunist and populist approach to the development of their political movement rather than a really left-wing stance, but how and ever.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #3
    PO'Neill PO'Neill is offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    11,894

    PBP are for a border poll (since Gerry Carroll got elected) while Sol/AAA are against one, let's see them finding a common policy on that one.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #4
    hammer hammer is offline
    hammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    62,444

    Where is it on ? Westbury
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #5
    Lúidín Lúidín is offline
    Lúidín's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,147

    They don't need an agreed policy on every issue. If they can move forward on even a couple of the basic demands then that is a good thing - homelessness, unemployment and healthcare, for example.

    Maybe SF should join in and stop deflecting the public debate onto 'issues' that few people care about. The victory in the water charges dispute shows that united action can bring results and more can be achieved this winter if the broadest left sticks together.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #6
    Jim Car Jim Car is offline

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,980

    I think you guys have two trends on this issue going at the same time.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #7
    Sailor Sailor is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    56,726

    Probably end in a split.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #8
    statsman statsman is offline
    statsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    52,492

    Quote Originally Posted by Lúidín View Post
    The Solidarity PbP organisation is holding a think-in to discuss upcoming issues, such as corporate tax, homelessness and the 8th Amendment referendum.

    Richard Boyd Barrett says a number of issues to be discussed at think in | BreakingNews.ie

    I'm sure many potential voters would welcome a chance to get involved in the discussion. Maybe one of our many left and republican parties might consider having such discussions in public.
    "I don't know about an election but we are certainly campaigning for issues such as dealing with the disastrous housing crisis, repealing the 8th Amendment and fighting for a fair distribution of the economic growth that's happening so everybody benefits from it instead of a small number of wealthy corporations and individuals,"
    Interesting, if predictable, list.

    1. Housing: all parties are going to be pushing this one in the next GE, assuming that the current version of the 'plan' fails.
    2. Repealing the 8th will be over one way or the other before the next GE, but it will be a hot topic for the next year or so, depending on the date of the referendum.
    3. Interesting acknowledgement that the economy is in fact in recovery. However, Brexit may yet change the basis of that discussion, and we could be discussing a fairer distribution of the bitter lemons.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #9
    Mushroom Mushroom is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    14,908

    Quote Originally Posted by Lúidín View Post

    Maybe SF should join in and stop deflecting the public debate onto 'issues' that few people care about. The victory in the water charges dispute shows that united action can bring results and more can be achieved this winter if the broadest left sticks together.
    And how about a catchy slogan like: kill a foetus and win free water for life! Whatever about Peadar Tobin, I'm sure Gerry Adams and his fellow cultists would approve.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #10
    statsman statsman is offline
    statsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    52,492

    Quote Originally Posted by statsman View Post
    Interesting, if predictable, list.

    1. Housing: all parties are going to be pushing this one in the next GE, assuming that the current version of the 'plan' fails.
    2. Repealing the 8th will be over one way or the other before the next GE, but it will be a hot topic for the next year or so, depending on the date of the referendum.
    3. Interesting acknowledgement that the economy is in fact in recovery. However, Brexit may yet change the basis of that discussion, and we could be discussing a fairer distribution of the bitter lemons.
    Apparently they are going to break the fiscal space rules to tackle the housing crisis when they gain power.

    Talk really is cheap.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment