Register to Comment
Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree278Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Roll_On View Post
    I thought that myself. The DUP could now secure a fantastic deal for the PUL community of NI within a UI, including protected minority status, an Ulster scots act, an interpretive centre or two, maintaining a devolved parliament at Stormont, massive infrastructural investment, the works. They're risking becoming part of a UI with no concessions at all as time goes by.
    That ship has sailed very possibly. Also Arlene Foster is both incredibly arrogant and lacking in imagination so even the very thought of it isn't going to cross her mind and if it was suggested to her it would be quickly and charmlessly rejected.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Roll_On View Post
    Unfortunately for May, she's jus ta bit too early to completely dump NI, at present a vote for Irish unity requires at least a small % of protestant buy in and I just don't see that happening. Also unfortunately for May, she shot herself in the foot calling an election and making the DUP powerful.
    The DUP aren't powerful.....they have painted themselves into a corner with their usual guff towards us that will make it very hard on them down the road when the Brits shaft them over Brexit.....

There is no way a small minority will be allowed to hold the 50 odd million in the rest of the UK to ransom especially in England and Wales where the main concentrations of Leave voters are....

The associated costs of running a border in the current climate in the UK who face many of the same social problems and challenges as us with the NHS and housing etc... will also not go down well when there is a natural border than would cost a lot less...

I think it is hilarious.

All these Brexiteers constantly crowing that the EU will disintegrate soon can't see the very real threat that it will happen to the UK quite soon under their noses

There'll be peaceful protests.

Quote Originally Posted by Franzoni View Post
    The DUP aren't powerful.....they have painted themselves into a corner with their usual guff towards us that will make it very hard on them down the road when the Brits shaft them over Brexit.....

There is no way a small minority will be allowed to hold the 50 odd million in the rest of the UK to ransom especially in England and Wales where the main concentrations of Leave voters are....

The associated costs of running a border in the current climate in the UK who face many of the same social problems and challenges as us with the NHS and housing etc... will also not go down well when there is a natural border than would cost a lot less...
    12 vote majority on voting down Leverson 2 in the Commons today: that was the enquiry into press manipulation and criming.

DUPers still useful.

Quote Originally Posted by PO'Neill View Post
    Yes, one irony could be that so weak is May that the last thing she'll want is a border poll, remember Cameron sh!tting himself before the Scottish one We'll have to wait until Corbyn is PM - which wouldn't be long.
    Much as I would love it, I don't think there's anything inevitable about Corbyn becoming PM. Yes, he did do much better than expected in the last General Election but he was still a long way off: he gained 30 seats but he needs to gain a lot more than that. True, the Lib Dems might do a bit better next time round - they could hardly do much worse - and maybe a coalition might be possible.

Still, May's admission about the border poll is a staggering statement to have made. Everything's happening a lot quicker than I ever thought possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratio Et Fides View Post
    That ship has sailed very possibly. Also Arlene Foster is both incredibly arrogant and lacking in imagination so even the very thought of it isn't going to cross her mind and if it was suggested to her it would be quickly and charmlessly rejected.
    Very possibly indeed. Furthermore, Hasn't she put even more wind in it's sails when stating that she's outta there in the event of a UI?

The Scottish Government has just voted that they don’t consent to the Brits Brexit negotiations / deal-
    The people here will vote to remove the British border in Ireland- ain’t nothing going to stop that from happening-

Quote Originally Posted by Nordie Northsider View Post
    Much as I would love it, I don't think there's anything inevitable about Corbyn becoming PM. Yes, he did do much better than expected in the last General Election but he was still a long way off: he gained 30 seats but he needs to gain a lot more than that. True, the Lib Dems might do a bit better next time round - they could hardly do much worse - and maybe a coalition might be possible.

Still, May's admission about the border poll is a staggering statement to have made. Everything's happening a lot quicker than I ever thought possible.
    May's admiission is more than staggering, it's earth shattering from a Tory British PM given her reliance on the DUP for her job.
    The games up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordie Northsider View Post

Quote Originally Posted by vivabrigada View Post
    May's admiission is more than staggering, it's earth shattering from a Tory British PM given her reliance on the DUP for her job.
    The games up.
    Agreed, it's not a done deal Corbyn will be next PM, but he's the best bet in coalition with the SNP. But May's admission about the border poll is indeed staggering, historic, boy is it hard to put a brave face on it in public if your an onionist !!
    Last edited by PO'Neill; 15th May 2018 at 05:47 PM.

Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment