Register to Comment
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Socratus O' Pericles View Post
    Theyre only a monarchy in a Disney sense, why anyone pays much attention to the doings of England’s greatest tourist attraction is beyond me, they could call her princess Mickey Of Narnia for all I care. Circus Act.
    That's very cool blooded of you. Don't misunderstand me, it doesn't drive me into paroxyms of rage.

I have to admit it's a slight lip curler, though. I wish I could be entirely equinanymous about it, but it rankles, slightly.

Only because QE II (who's doing the choosing, apparently) is the head of a neighbouring state.
    Last edited by Toland; 16th April 2018 at 11:16 AM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    That a monarchy should feel entitled to grant titles of nobility named for a territory entirely within a different sovereign republic?

Do you not see it as a bit of a cheek really?

I must say, I see it as no more nor less than a bit of a two-fingered salute.

I wonder did anyone ask Leo.
    Ask him what? No one's done anything. He's not been granted any title yet, and when he is, it's most unlikely to be Connaught.

Isn't the Duchess of Cambridge also known as the Baroness of Carrickfergus?

Quote Originally Posted by livingstone View Post
    Ask him what? No one's done anything. He's not been granted any title yet, and when he is, it's most unlikely to be Connaught.
    Its funny how so many posters fell for this bit of fluff.

Since 1922, titles relating to locations in the 26 Counties have not been awarded though territorial titles relating to NI are still granted.

The Dukedom of Connaught was historically ear-marked for the Monarchs third son. Prince Edward didnt get it. He got Wessex instead. The Dukedom is extinct. It wont be revived.

Quote Originally Posted by Socratus O' Pericles View Post
    Seriously, does anyone give a Continental fck?
    Not really, but isn't it great to be able to blather aimlessly about something that will have no consequence whatever on our lives or the lives of our children..

Unlike homelessness, the health service and all the other serious stuff discussed on these boards

Quote Originally Posted by raetsel View Post
    Jesus, how the hell does such a shallow, inconsequential discussion like this, far better suited to some airhead forum on Hello! magazine online, (if they exist), get to over 120 pages on a supposedly serious political website?
    How on a "serious political website" do we get pages of airhead abuse and personal venting about radio and TV presenters and other minor celebrities.. "Marian Finucane is a dopey, useless, clueless bint.... Ryan Tubridy is an arse licking annoying concrete head... Vogue Williams is a pain in the neck... Would love to see the smirk wiped off Ballsy O'Conner's face at the next property crash.... So Bono is in trouble, couldn't happen to a nicer guy..... Bob Geldof is a virtue-signalling clown..."

We have pages and pages of this stuff....

Maybe if you are looking for a "serious political website" you need to look elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    That's very cool blooded of you. Don't misunderstand me, it doesn't drive me into paroxyms of rage.

I have to admit it's a slight lip curler, though. I wish I could be entirely equinanymous about it, but it rankles, slightly.

Only because QE II (who's doing the choosing, apparently) is the head of a neighbouring state.
    We can name our next President's cat " Puss Poopy Socks Of Wessex"... something like that. Is yer wan Canadian?

Quote Originally Posted by gatsbygirl20 View Post
    How on a "serious political website" do we get pages of airhead abuse and personal venting about radio and TV presenters and other minor celebrities.. "Marian Finucane is a dopey, useless, clueless bint.... Ryan Tubridy is an arse licking annoying concrete head... Vogue Williams is a pain in the neck... Would love to see the smirk wiped off Ballsy O'Conner's face at the next property crash.... So Bono is in trouble, couldn't happen to a nicer guy..... Bob Geldof is a virtue-signalling clown..."

We have pages and pages of this stuff....

Maybe if you are looking for a "serious political website" you need to look elsewhere
    I've looked, PW, nice but too earnest and a bit slow, PI, nuttier than a truck full of fruitbars, Boards, can't get into it, politico (https://www.politico.eu/) seems to have little irish content. P.ie is an undermoderated cess pit- the mods staunchly refuse to recruit new moderators- we aren't the right type apparently- but its OUR unmoderated cess pit.

Does she take it/Does she take it/ Does she take it up the.....?

Quote Originally Posted by livingstone View Post
    So I have since learnt.

Have I been the victim of fake news?

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment