Register to Comment
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Quote Originally Posted by McDave View Post
    In due course, Britain will have to atone for the brutal realities of its imperial past. And certainly retire the dreadfully hypocritical ‘white man’s burden’ narrative.

Having said all that, I know that most decent Brits and Irish get along just fine. And that’s the general spirit in which I read most of your posts.
    That's the thing. And Sadness is correct. That and dismay is the feeling amongst the Irish who work in London (of my acquaintance).

Ireland and the UK have a strange relationship. We were moving to that of Divorced couple whose lives have been so intertwined that we need to remain civil and cooperative towards our messed up and needy child (NI).

Brexit is analogous to the divorced dad with the good job deciding to quit work and make the boy choose one parent .

Selfish and immature and very disappointing after all we have been through.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by CatullusV View Post
    Plenty of us don't support Brexit but support BB's advocacy of it.

He engages with other posters and is engaging. Good-humoured and capable of discussion without rancour.

He'll be missed on this site. The place needs more posters such as him.
    Agreed. One of the most likeable posters here...

Quote Originally Posted by Gin Soaked View Post
    Agreed. One of the most likeable posters here...
    Agreed with all concerned that I enjoyed BB's posts.

From Brexit supporters I have spoken to, most of them were concerned about bureaucracy, i.e. how European Law often takes precedent over state law and is voted upon without knowledge/approval of citizens and concerns about the financial stability of the EU.

Immigration was also a concern but I think loss of sovereignty was the main issue for the people I know (having said that, most Brits I know were against Brexit).

A recent ING poll showed that almost half of the Dutch no longer support the EU as it now stands. The way the EU is strong arming Britain has not gone down well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gin Soaked View Post
    All on the British Isles and to Europe. But mostly it is a hubris driven fraud being foisted on the British by charlatans and liars.
    TBH, I would say my attitude is less angry than sad. I can see how much damage this is doing the UK as well as how serious the impact can be on Ireland.

Its as if your well-off widowed aunt were to suddenly take up with an obvious chancer, someone whose background you have looked into and are not impressed by, and is spending all her money on him. This includes sums you knew were ear-marked for her childrens education. Whatever you say is wrong. You just have to sit back and watch the whole sorry saga unfold.

Quote Originally Posted by blokesbloke View Post
    I can't stay on P.ie anymore.

I can't stand being this hated.

I thought it would be okay if I came back and didn't mention it but it's never going to change, is it?

I've changed my password to a random one I didn't note down and my e-mail address to a throwaway one which is already deleted, so when I log out I will be unable to log back in.

Thanks to everyone who has been supportive, but as I've mentioned before I have depression, anxiety and OCD and a family member has been diagnosed with cancer and dementia at once.

I can't stand being hated on here any more.

Bye.
    I hope you don't go BB if you do go I will miss your posts but I will understand. I'm really sorry that you are going through such a rough time and I wish you well. I'm deeply sorry to hear about your family member and I hope that you and they will get all the support you need.

Theres a strange metaphorical quality to BB, our resident English Brexit-sympathiser, walking out the door in the same way as the UK is leaving the EU.

We dont hate you, you loons. We want you back.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan View Post
    UKIP seem loonily chaotic

How come they can't manage to hold onto their leaders ?

Do they deliver value for money to their EP constituents ?

Cyp
    Because they're gomeys at best and at worst a potential decoy faction placed by Tories.

Quote Originally Posted by The Eagle of the Ninth View Post
    Theres a strange metaphorical quality to BB, our resident English Brexit-sympathiser, walking out the door in the same way as the UK is leaving the EU.

We dont hate you, you loons. We want you back.
    What UKIP engineered is regrettable, short-sighted and destructive. Regardless, thereís an attitude to the outside world which suggests that many British just havenít come to terms with emerging global realities. The Germans have. The French to some extent.

Iím thinking itís probably better for all concerned (except probably for Ireland on both sides of the border) for Britain to leave. The cat is now out of the bag. Maybe in 20 years, with a more optimistic, engaged electorate, Britain will readjust. Maybe not, either. But thereís no point in forcing the issue now.

The British were 100% right to leave the EU. They can see where the EU is heading unlike many here.

Quote Originally Posted by McDave View Post
    What UKIP engineered is regrettable, short-sighted and destructive. Regardless, there’s an attitude to the outside world which suggests that many British just haven’t come to terms with emerging global realities. The Germans have. The French to some extent.

I’m thinking it’s probably better for all concerned (except probably for Ireland on both sides of the border) for Britain to leave. The cat is now out of the bag. Maybe in 20 years, with a more optimistic, engaged electorate, Britain will readjust. Maybe not, either. But there’s no point in forcing the issue now.
    I dont disagree with that, except I have never been entirely convinced that the leave voters were motivated by Imperial hubris or nostalgia. The entire British political class has failed its own electorate because they are out of touch. There is a huge disconnect between politicians and the public which made it inevitable that something like this would happen.

Though usually a subscriber to the cock-up rather than conspiracy model, I do however believe that powerful forces behind Brexit pushed Leave because their view of Britain is an off-shore tax haven, liberated from the constraints of EU law.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment