Register to Comment
Page 1 of 62 1231151 ... LastLast
Like Tree327Likes

Jacob Rees-Mogg and his views on abortion and gay marriage.

You'd be hard put to find someone who looks and sounds more like the archetypal Tory than Jacob Rees-Mogg. Plum in accent and conservative in attire, he seems to try almost too hard to fit the stereotype. A quick scan of Google Images hints that his wardrobe consists almost entirely of dark double-breasted suits, striped white shirts and and white-on-navy polka dot ties. And he won't be starting any new trends with that side-part.

Where he does deviate from the Tory stereotype is in his devout Roman Catholicism. Given his current status as favourite to succeed the hapless Theresa May as Conservative leader and Prime Minister, his religion doesn't seem to be an issue in the party once known as the "Church of England at Prayer"

Moggmentum is now A Thing in British political circles but it will be interesting to see how it's affected by an interview he gave this morning on Good Morning Britain. In it, he states that he follows the teaching of the Roman Catholic Church on the issue of same sex marriage and is completely opposed to abortion, even in cases of rape and incest.

Sign in or Register Now to reply

He has not a hope of becoming Tory leader but I admire his honesty in declaring his beliefs(even thought I disagree with them) knowing full well they will prevent him from ever seeking high office.

And before people jump down his throat , he is saying they are his beliefs and does not expect others to have to follow suit , he said he would respect and uphold the law as they stand even if they differed from his personal beliefs.

Its the only logical position which intelligent and sincere people will naturally espouse.

Bless. The Honourable Member for the Fourteenth Century

He must be really insecure to put on that false accent.

Being a Private Eye reader, I've been aware of him for quite a few years. I have to confess that I actually do hold him in some esteem!

There's a cartoon in the current issue re him, but with photobucket looking for money from me these days I dunno how to slap a copy up?

Quote Originally Posted by The Eagle of the Ninth View Post
    Bless. The Honourable Member for the Fourteenth Century
    That modern?

There was a brilliant fly on the wall documentary about the Houses of Parliament about 2 years ago ( well worth a look) . During it the "Seargent at Arms or some other title had to guard the camera crew because there were rumours of plans by a group of Tories, who objected, to disrupt and make it difficult for them to film .....

From memory the ring leader was Rees Mogg .....open to contradiction though

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsui2 View Post
    That modern?
    He has been known to acknowledge inside loos, as opposed to pissing on the plebs from a great height.

Quote Originally Posted by Levellers View Post
    He must be really insecure to put on that false accent.

It's so called upper received pronunciation - a number of top Tories use it. He probably picked it up while in Eton.

Page 1 of 62 1231151 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment