Register to Comment
Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree286Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Half Nelson View Post
    Tim Farron has resigned as leader of the Liberal Democrats.

Since taking up the role of Leader of the Liberal Democrats, Farron has faced an unceasing barrage of questions about his personal religious beliefs.
    This culminated in Lord Paddick's resignation as the Liberal Democrats' home affairs spokesman, citing concerns about leader Tim Farron's "views on various issues", an allusion to Farron's alleged views on homosexuality.

Tendering his resignation Farron said “I seem to be the subject of suspicion because of what I believe and who my faith is in. “In which case we are kidding ourselves if we think we yet live in a tolerant, liberal society. That’s why I have chosen to step down.."

The question is simple - is there an equal place for Christians in politics?

Tim Farron resigns as leader of the Liberal Democrats - Manchester Evening News

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ews-on-gay-sex

Tim Farron resigns as leader of Liberal Democrats | The Independent
    David Steele MP was the man responsible for legalising abortion in Britain.
    David Steele was a Liberal Party MP and he became party leader. The Liberal Party rebranded itself as Liberal Democrats.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Ratio Et Fides View Post
    It would be very possible in a united Ireland that the DUP could make Fianna Fail recover it's soul and FF could school the DUP in civilized ethics. Something that also needs to be considered is that getting rid of the 8 th in the South would make moves to a united Ireland much more ugly and violent.
    And conversely, if Labour had won the election and imposed the Abortion Act on the North, moves towards a united Ireland would've met less opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpast View Post
    Just shows what a sick society over there the so called 'Liberal' agenda has produced

- that even the leader of a Liberal Party is hounded from Office

- because of his Christian beliefs....
    But it does highlight their fear that Christianity is the one force that will stand in the way of the "liberal" agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratio Et Fides View Post
    Why do you as a militant "Social Liberal" support the DUP? Answer that and you have your answer.
    I'd say more a TUV supporter rather than a DUP supporter.

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpast View Post
    Just shows what a sick society over there the so called 'Liberal' agenda has produced

- that even the leader of a Liberal Party is hounded from Office

- because of his Christian beliefs....
    You would be weirded out about how many very Socially Conservative English people vote Lib Dems on the logic that the Conservatives are to nasty (which they are) and they cannot bring themselves to vote for Labour.

Quote Originally Posted by slysnara View Post
    And conversely, if Labour had won the election and imposed the Abortion Act on the North, moves towards a united Ireland would've met less opposition.
    They wouldn't do so because lads like Had 237 who used to post here would seriously riot on a scale worse than the Fleg dramatics.

Shows how out of touch Britain is with Northern Ireland.
    You of course mean the intolerance in Great Britain, versus the tolerance within Northern Ireland for Christian views.

How could Labour impose such an act on NI?

Quote Originally Posted by Dimples 77 View Post
    How could Labour impose such an act on NI?
    The Labour manifesto initially said they were going to extend it to NI, before removing it from the final manifesto published.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Nelson View Post
    Tim Farron has resigned as leader of the Liberal Democrats.

Since taking up the role of Leader of the Liberal Democrats, Farron has faced an unceasing barrage of questions about his personal religious beliefs.
    This culminated in Lord Paddick's resignation as the Liberal Democrats' home affairs spokesman, citing concerns about leader Tim Farron's "views on various issues", an allusion to Farron's alleged views on homosexuality.

Tendering his resignation Farron said “I seem to be the subject of suspicion because of what I believe and who my faith is in. “In which case we are kidding ourselves if we think we yet live in a tolerant, liberal society. That’s why I have chosen to step down.."

The question is simple - is there an equal place for Christians in politics?

Tim Farron resigns as leader of the Liberal Democrats - Manchester Evening News

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ews-on-gay-sex

Tim Farron resigns as leader of Liberal Democrats | The Independent

He is not the first politician hounded from office because of his Christian beliefs. Remember Rocco Buttiglione, the Italian nominee to the European Commission?

“I may think that homosexuality is a sin,” he said, in response to a question from a member of the European Parliament (MEP) last month, “but this has no effect on politics, unless I say that homosexuality is a crime…The state has no right to stick its nose into these things.”

As Mr Buttiglione has now found out, thinking homosexuality a sin has a profound effect on the politics of the European Parliament. Angered by his comments, many of the parliament's 732 members threatened to veto the new commission unless Mr Buttiglione were(sic) moved from his portfolio of justice and home affairs. Last Wednesday, mere hours before the vote was due, José Manuel Barroso, who will head the new commission, called off the vote, promising to find a solution to the impasse “in the next few weeks”.

Buttiglione backs out | The Economist

So much for "liberal, tolerant" attitudes. Of course the European Parliament would never have the nerve to subject a Muslim candidate to the same intrusive questioning about his personal religious beliefs, let alone veto his appointment. Perish the thought! They are far too "liberal, tolerant and inclusive" for that.

(Except when it comes to Christians of course.)

Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment