Register to Comment
Page 3 of 95 FirstFirst 12345 13 53 ... LastLast
Like Tree683Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Oscurito View Post
    It would be held between autumn 2018 and spring 2019.

Would she not be better off to wait for a year or so until the full effects of Brexit hit and then a deeply disgruntled Scottish nation realizes that it's all turning into a shambles.
    The two year A50 negotiations will be tumultuous and any economic effects should be in full swing by then, timings looking good from this end.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

I think Scotland are the only country in history not to vote for independence when the chance came, I would be doubtful if the result would be reversed in another referendum in the next two years. But I think she is right to go for it , timing is everything, she is banking on the UK getting a poor deal and thus a very anti whitehall sentiment all round.

Her political career would be on the line if she actually got as far as getting a referendum, she would need a yes result to stay on as first minister. Not getting a referendum after calling for one would also make her look weak and ineffective.

It is a very risky move but I say it is worth the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    She can call all she likes but the SNP needs a majority to vote through the bill for a referendum. That they don't have.
    How many brain farts do you have a day? SNP+Greens - Ref majority in Scots Parliament.

Will a United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland be viable?

Quote Originally Posted by gleeful View Post
    Very interestingly - no mention from Nicola of getting London's approval this time. Hollyrood doesn't have the legal authority to call a referendum - so this is a constitutional crisis in the making.

Will May let it slide?
    There will be no choice in the matter if their demands are strong enough, this is something which cant be ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by Betson View Post
    I think Scotland are the only country in history not to vote for independence when the chance came, I would be doubtful if the result would be reversed in another referendum in the next two years. But I think she is right to go for it , timing is everything, she is banking on the UK getting a poor deal and thus a very anti whitehall sentiment all round.

Her political career would be on the line if she actually got as far as getting a referendum, she would need a yes result to stay on as first minister. Not getting a referendum after calling for one would also make her look weak and ineffective.

No. Quebec, Puerto Rico, Catalonia, etc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independence_referendum

Quote Originally Posted by Oscurito View Post
    Could we have "Scoxit", please? That "tx" combination is hard to pronounce and looks unnecessarily Basque in its orthography.
    Your wish is my command.

Quote Originally Posted by General Urko View Post
    Wouldn't be a 'United Kingdom' anymore. Neither Wales nor Northern Ireland are kingdoms, only England and Scotland are.

Quote Originally Posted by General Urko View Post
    Not really a union anymore if the scots are gone, NI unionists will have to struggle with the indignity of Rump Wales/England tabloids daily attacking their cost to the taxpayer, Johnny Wenglish won't be happy having to pay for them fkin Oirish M8.

Quote Originally Posted by Betson View Post

Almost, but not quite, as accurate as your football predictions.

Page 3 of 95 FirstFirst 12345 13 53 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment