Register to Comment
Page 206 of 218 FirstFirst ... 106 156 196204205206207208 216 ... LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,060 of 2174
Like Tree837Likes

Quote Originally Posted by VowelMovement View Post
    Well it was the last time I did the maths. Maybe the SNP have changed the laws of mathematics to suit themselves.
    Are the SNP talking about this? My guess is they might be a bit busy right now.

It's the use of language I'm questioning. In this context the common meaning of "most" is the great majority of people, nearly all, not just a majority so slight that when we factor in the margin of error, may not be a majority.

Quite. Which could well mean that 55% of Scotch people are opposed to independence.
    Since the two of us are indulging our pedantic sides again, that's a 54.8% maximum or 48.8% minimum. The scotch thing is dull
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Little Room View Post
    Are the SNP talking about this? My guess is they might be a bit busy right now.

It's the use of language I'm questioning. In this context the common meaning of "most" is the great majority of people, nearly all, not just a majority so slight that when we factor in the margin of error, may not be a majority.

Since the two of us are indulging our pedantic sides again, that's a 54.8% maximum or 48.8% minimum. The scotch thing is dull
    look, the only way he'll go away is if nobody responds to his obsessive baiting...

he's a weird loon so don't waste your bandwidth

Quote Originally Posted by daveL View Post
    look, the only way he'll go away is if nobody responds to his obsessive baiting...

na, he wouldn't go away however long he was ignored

he's a weird loon
    Yeah? How?

Are the SNP talking about this?
    The SNP won't be talking about such polls until they start showing, if ever, at least 60%-40% in favour of independence. And the polls have hardly ever done that. Whilst polls keep showing Scots as being against independence, the Scottish Numpty Party will never mention them.

My guess is they might be a bit busy right now.
    They ARE a bit busy right now. They're too busy meddling in matters which have got nothing to do with them or Scotland, matters in a nation in which they have zero democratic mandate. And, therefore, they are in the wrong.

In my book, most is 50.1% or over.

Trying, somehow, to portray polls showing most Scotch as being against independence as somehow actually showing otherwise is really quite ludicrous and smacks of desperation.

Plus, that "3% margin of error" you cite isn't true of all polls. A poll of 1,000 people has a margin of error of +/- 3%, a poll of 2,000 people a margin of error of +/- 2%. The smaller the sample, the less precise it is and the wider the margin of error.

As for this latest poll, it has simply reflected what almost every single one of the several polls conducted each year for the last fifty years has shown and which was reflected in the referendum - that Scots don't want independence.

If the SNP really want Scottish independence, they should hold a referendum in England. The English would probably vote in a landslide to get rid of the whingeing Jocks. Then when (or if) an independent Scotland rejoins the EUSSR it'll be Brussels's problem, rather than London's.
    Last edited by VowelMovement; 15th July 2015 at 04:39 PM.

Been thinking through what you said. The two of us who've responded most to him are myself and Cai.

this is why I still end up engaging somedays. During the campaign the TV, radio and all uk and scotland wide newspapers, except the sunday herald, were all unionist. The relentless lies cowed people and stirred hate. Doggedly refuting the lies on any social media was a big part of what got the Yes vote so high. People talked it through with others who weren't reading online. It got like a learned reflex to pull apart every last MSM lie, on any site, even when you know you're being baited.

A lot of what VM posts is directly from unionist journalists, so feels like it's them I'm responding to, but it's easy to end up mirroring the person you're squabblin with.

Not getting independence now is serious for some people I know here, for their chances of eating enough and not becoming homeless in the next few years. so it doesn't feel like bored message board shyte talk, or not only tho I understand it gets boring for others and limits any use this still has.

Been thinking through what you said. The two of us who've responded most to him are myself and Cai.

this is why I still end up engaging somedays. During the campaign the TV, radio and all uk and scotland wide newspapers, except the sunday herald, were all unionist. The relentless lies cowed people and stirred hate. Doggedly refuting the lies on any social media was a big part of what got the Yes vote so high. People talked it through with others who weren't reading online. It got like a learned reflex to pull apart every last MSM lie, on any site, even when you know you're being baited.

A lot of what VM posts is directly from unionist journalists, so feels like it's them I'm responding to, but it's easy to end up mirroring the person you're squabblin with.

Not getting independence now is serious for some people I know here, for their chances of eating enough and not becoming homeless in the next few years. so it doesn't feel like bored message board shyte talk, or not only – tho I understand it gets boring for others and limits any use this still has.
    Poor VM basically does three things, he repeats his xenophobic prejudices ad naseum, he re works stuff he's read in foam flecked articles by right wing journos & he sometimes copies & pastes the more silly & extreme ravings of the said journos in their entirety.

We're probably wrong to respond - a response simply evokes more of the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Cai View Post
    Poor VM basically does three things, he repeats his xenophobic prejudices ad naseum, he re works stuff he's read in foam flecked articles by right wing journos & he sometimes copies & pastes the more silly & extreme ravings of the said journos in their entirety.

We're probably wrong to respond - a response simply evokes more of the same.
    Your populist barmy nazi stuff is history after the Syriza fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex celt View Post
    Hmm.

Populist; UKIP *tick*
    Barmy; UKIP *tick*
    Nazi; BNP *tick*

SNP is a modern N European Social Democrat Party.

Unfortunately their country is still part of the Imperial hangover called the UK but not for much longer..

Quote Originally Posted by Ex celt View Post
    You're not very sharp are you?

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment