Register to Comment
Page 15 of 68 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 25 65 ... LastLast
Like Tree382Likes

Quote Originally Posted by P Ryan View Post
    In the modern age is someone in their early 30s really regarded as 'middle aged' ? From a lot of posters both here and on places such as boards.ie I get the impression you're regarded as over the hell once you leave the 20s...
    Keithm exists in Ireland circa 1850, when we died young but uncorrupted and happy.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Verhofstadt View Post
    Keithm exists in Ireland circa 1850, when we died young but uncorrupted and happy.
    I don't think there were many who died happy at that time. Have some respect FFS

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrocket View Post
    Total bull.

At 20 weeks, she would also have been refused an abortion in France, Germany and Italy.

The Times article also makes clear that the pregnancy was not a threat to her health or life.

I specifically recall you endorsing the French model of abortion on demand up to 12 weeks.

Have you now changed your view to abortion on demand at 20 weeks and over?
    You need to join the dots a bit better, Skyrocket.
    She had decided on an abortion much earlier, but was refused in Ireland and then had to save for the travel and procedure.
    If she had lived in France or Germany, she could have had a much safer abortion before 12 weeks.
    Most pro choice people I know believe late term abortions should be avoided as much as possible, many advocate a time limit on abortion on request of 12 or 16 weeks.
    The irony is that our constitution specifically allows women to travel abortion, including late term abortions, for any reason.

Quote Originally Posted by mardi View Post
    You need to join the dots a bit better, Skyrocket.
    She had decided on an abortion much earlier, but was refused in Ireland and then had to save for the travel and procedure.
    If she had lived in France or Germany, she could have had a much safer abortion before 12 weeks.
    Most pro choice people I know believe late term abortions should be avoided as much as possible, many advocate a time limit on abortion on request of 12 or 16 weeks.
    The irony is that our constitution specifically allows women to travel abortion, including late term abortions, for any reason.
    So now we have to fund abortion holidays for Nigerians, what a great bunch of lads we are!

Quote Originally Posted by Tea Shark View Post
    Which is wrong and which will change.
    Unfortunately this won't change. The vastly restrictive legislation will not allow women to have an abortion unless their lives are in danger. The choice to terminate a non viable foetus for instance will still not be allowed. Thousands of women will still take the flights to England.

I smell 'pro life' piranhas circling this thread...

Abortions occasionally kill mothers as well as their babies.

My sympathies to her husband and family.

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    So just so I'm clear on where this story is right now:

1. There's no evidence that the abortion killed her

2. There's no evidence that even if the abortion did kill her that it's out of line with Mortality rates. For instance if 1 woman who's travelled to the UK for an abortion dies every 2 years (i.e 1 out of 8000 or .01% ) then it's in line with UK mortality rates of .01%.

3. People are rushing to judgement one way or the other when it's clear the investigation (both medical and criminal) has yet to be concluded.

Sync, people will comment as they wish, that is what people do.

Your first point on "evidence" is a huge story on its own.

Where is the inquest into her death a year and a half later? If this had been 'Mary' from 'Castlebar' who died alone in the back of a taxi following a 'procedure' in a 'clinic' in London, you can be quite sure that the Taoiseach would have commented on it the day after it happened having received a telephone call from David Cameron assuring him of a full and rigorous inquiry into all the circumstances of the deaths of this woman and her baby. Our great leader might even have managed a few empathetic Magdelene tears.

But because she wasn't 'Mary', not a sound, not even a squeak of outrage. We are only hearing about this eighteen months later. Where has the media been for the last year and a half. Did this not suit 'an agenda'? The media that told us Savita Halapanavaar died because she didn't have an abortion are strangely silent when another Savita died because she did have an abortion.

To me it looks like the secular commentariat is worse than anything it sought to replace in Irish culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
    So now we have to fund abortion holidays for Nigerians, what a great bunch of lads we are!
    No, I don't think that was the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Eire1976 View Post
    You were once that clump of cells. Remember that.
    Of course we were all once a clump of cells.

The question however is whether a clump of cells has the same rights as a person. I've had a miscarriage at home at approx. 12 weeks, and would never consider what I saw as being equal to a person.

I also think that it's a woman's decision whether to proceed with a pregnancy or not. No woman has the certainty that her man/husband/partner will be around to support their child for 18 years, so the decision must be hers alone.

I'd also point out that in Italy, where I live, abortion is legally carried out on demand in all state hospitals, up to (I think) 16 weeks). My Italian friends, male and female, are horrified when they learn that there is no abortion in Ireland.

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment