Register to Comment
Page 13 of 40 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 23 ... LastLast
Like Tree134Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Ren84 View Post
    Why is Ireland a viable independent country
    Is it?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Us?!? You're not Irish. Anyway let's talk about Ireland yeah?

Ireland GDP Per Capita: $41,642 - ranked: 12th
    UK GDP Per Capita: $36,511 - ranked: 22nd

Whoops!
    Add national debt per capita and come back to me.

Ireland GDP growth rate for 2011: 1.4%
    UK GDP growth rate for 2011: 0.7%

Double Whoops!
    GDP growth is based on year on year changes. If you've gone through years of recession (as Ireland has), growth is is coming from
    a much lower base.

What about unemployment?
    Unemployment in Europe (monthly) - Google Public Data Explorer
    Last edited by Keith-M; 7th August 2012 at 12:27 PM.

How is it "Different times. Different circumstances"? Ireland doesn't have vast oil and gas reserves and yet we can still hold our own, despite what some of P.ie's resident defeatist might say. Scotland can be a successful country in its own right, there's no question about that. If Ireland was told it could be more successful as part of the UK do you think that we should give up our nation for some extra dough?
    Your interpretation of 'holding our own' seems a little bizarre to me...

Ireland is largely dysfunctional as a country...

The blip was the 'boom' but now we all know even that was perhaps the greatest dysfunction of them all...

Church and State collusion in the abuse of children, for which there have been far too few prosecutions. Cronyism. An arrogant 'establishment' who seem to believe they are 'entitled' to everything. Corruption at the highest levels of this country by people who treat the population with utter contempt. An electorate who despite knowing all of the above and more, continue to elect cute hoor big fish in small ponds as they indulge in their navel gazing 'us against the big bad Dublin government' charade. And then the voters refuse to accept any responsibility for the dire quality of self serving parochial gobsh!te they send to participate in the Dail.

And let's not forget the fact that we've lost economic sovereignty and seem increasingly willing to be subsumed into a USE. And who's leading this move? The very same self serving 'establishment' parasites who contributed so significantly to the hole we're in but who have yet to feel any of the negative effects of it.

If you think all this and more is 'holding our own' and something we should hold our heads high about, off you go.

How I see it may be defeatist to you. I prefer to call it being a realist.

Of course we've got potential to clean things up and really sort this place out...

Unfortunately however, after 6 years of recession I see little real appetite or determination to do this with more of the same in store...

The 'establishment' have largely succeeded in slithering through this crisis unscathed... which means nothing will change. And we are all collectively responsible for that.
    Last edited by Spanner Island; 7th August 2012 at 10:29 AM.

Oh goody. Another self hating paddy who meekly submits to England. Your weakness is disgusting. Get on your feet man and take pride in your country FFS!
    'Like' you do here >>> What was the single worst political decision since the foundation of the State?

Seems like on another thread you're not too enamoured with Ireland yourself...

You made the suggestion that these high profile Scots living outside the country have no legitimate right to comment on Scottish matters,
    I didn't, I made a fairly light-hearted, if pointed, observation. Read into it what you will
    ..and it was pointed out to you that you're a paddy who lives outside the state yet comments on Irish matters.
    I've already explained the difference but you seem to have missed or ignored it.
    You brought this up, not us, so it is you who is dragging this off discussion. Ironic? maybe. Hypocritical? Defo.
    No again, Eoghanacht brought the topic up, I merely pointed out to you, as you started banging on about me personally, that I was not the subject of the thread. Hypocrisy doesn't enter into it. Now wind your neck in and take the trouble to read the posts properly in future eh?

Back up the road in my home country of Scotland there was little to shout about. Of the 9500 street parties that happened across the UK only 60 were in Scotland (0.60%), and 20 of those were organised by the Orange Order. Was this lack of enthusiasm for British triumphalism a one-off blip? We'll soon find out.
    Andrew Smith: The Break-up of Britain is Underway, and the Olympics Will Do Nothing to Reverse it

Also, a pretty interesting video of Newsnight Scotland from tonight of the subjugated mindset of Uncle Tom sycophantic unionists, in this case, a Scottish one.

Bizarre that some people still want to be denied self-determination and be under the thumb of an abusive daddy-in-law

Quote Originally Posted by TommyO'Brien View Post
    A new poll for YouGov has shown that support for independence in Scotland has fallen to 30%, a fall some are attributing to the impact of the Olympics.

With support for independence falling, has Alex Salmond made a tactical mistake in calling the referendum?

Scottish Support For Independence Drops As 2012 Olympic Fever Hits

Hasn't the level of support hovered about the 30% mark for some time?

Quote Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post
    Hasn't the level of support hovered about the 30% mark for some time?
    I just looked at the article. It reports that the 30% is down 3% from another poll.

Of course, 3% is the usual margin of error in these polls, so is there really any news here?

As I said, the level has been hovering around the 30% mark for a while. 3% means nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanner Island View Post
    Your interpretation of 'holding our own' seems a little bizarre to me...

Ireland is largely dysfunctional as a country...

The blip was the 'boom' but now we all know even that was perhaps the greatest dysfunction of them all...

Church and State collusion in the abuse of children, for which there have been far too few prosecutions. Cronyism. An arrogant 'establishment' who seem to believe they are 'entitled' to everything. Corruption at the highest levels of this country by people who treat the population with utter contempt. An electorate who despite knowing all of the above and more, continue to elect cute hoor big fish in small ponds as they indulge in their navel gazing 'us against the big bad Dublin government' charade. And then the voters refuse to accept any responsibility for the dire quality of self serving parochial gobsh!te they send to participate in the Dail.

And let's not forget the fact that we've lost economic sovereignty and seem increasingly willing to be subsumed into a USE. And who's leading this move? The very same self serving 'establishment' parasites who contributed so significantly to the hole we're in but who have yet to feel any of the negative effects of it.

If you think all this and more is 'holding our own' and something we should hold our heads high about, off you go.

How I see it may be defeatist to you. I prefer to call it being a realist.

Of course we've got potential to clean things up and really sort this place out...

Unfortunately however, after 6 years of recession I see little real appetite or determination to do this with more of the same in store...

The 'establishment' have largely succeeded in slithering through this crisis unscathed... which means nothing will change. And we are all collectively responsible for that.
    Unfortunately, those kind of anti Irish rants only get read and appreciated by racists like Cruimh.

Quote Originally Posted by Dub01 View Post
    Unfortunately, those kind of anti Irish rants only get read and appreciated by racists like Cruimh.
    LOL - there is no Irish race - and I'm Irish

Were you one of those who went on about Scottish Independence destroying NI?
    Or is it just reflex bile and sour grapes?

Ah, I thought so LOL

Page 13 of 40 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 23 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment