Register to Comment
Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 43 ... LastLast
Like Tree227Likes

Quote Originally Posted by LamportsEdge View Post
    Isn't flying another nation's flag in return for money somewhat akin to prostitution?
    Is there sex involved
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Riadach View Post
    The Germans were nice enough to change their flag.
    No they didn't.

The Swastika was only their flag for a short time. The post war flag they use today is just a version of the flag they have always used.

Quote Originally Posted by rainmaker View Post
    No they didn't.

The Swastika was only their flag for a short time. The post war flag they use today is just a version of the flag they have always used.
    A flag they had used since 1919, after the period where most of their possessions had become independent. It lacks any imperial connotations.

Quote Originally Posted by DSW1916 View Post
    First of the notion that tourists would come to a certain location because a flag is flown is as preposterous as the idea that the Queens visit would have an effect on numbers visiting. If you think a statement by Gerry A would draw in 50,000 tourist’s then I am sure he would be happy to make it. If it’s a Shinner bashing thread it’s a poor effort at best.
    BTW you quite often see the English, The Scots, and the Welsh Flag flying outside hotels especially around rugby matches etc. I have no problem with this, its right to show respect to these countries by flying their national flag.
    Now many years ago, before going to college, I bummed around for quite a number of years and worked in a good few hotels both here and internationally in Germany and Boston. As far as I am aware the flags were always changed if there were large parties of tourists over from a certain country for an event. So say for example if you have the Portuguese international darts team in you fly their flag. There was never really a policy of flying one single flag unless you had a regular trade from that country. And again you would fly their national flag and not one associated with a confederacy of different countries.
    Do you not believe that it is possible to attract another few million Brits to our shores each year?
    It's time to make Adams Minister for Tourism and to get those butchers aprons aloft outside our hotels alongside the star spangled banners.

A flag they had used since 1919, after the period where most of their possessions had become independent. It lacks any imperial connotations.
    Before that I think they used various imperial standards. Besides, the number of flags they have had is astonishing. All but one of them reflecting changing politics rather than changes in national attitudes.

Anyway, to compare the Union flag with the swastika is somewhat melodramatic. Many countries and states in the world still include the Union flag in their own flag designs.

Quote Originally Posted by rainmaker View Post
    Before that I think they used various imperial standards. Besides, the number of flags they have had is astonishing. All but one of them reflecting changing politics rather than changes in national attitudes.

Anyway, to compare the Union flag with the swastika is somewhat melodramatic. Many countries and states in the world still include the Union flag in their own flag designs.
    The point I was making, and remember I wasn't the one comparing the two situations, is that it is the flag itself, not who it represents that is at issue. In Ireland we have had the union flag fly over our public buildings, and we did not consider it the most positive experience in our history. The Union flag flying from mast thus has very negative connotations and it is probably because of those connotations that many establishments refuse to fly it now. Many of the same establishments are happy to fly Scottish, Welsh and English flags however, to demonstrate it is not trying to be offensive to British people.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelander View Post
    I believe Britain (especially England) to be the best thing that ever happend to the world. No other country gave us so many positive things as Britain did. What would Ireland and its singers, writers etc. be without the english language? Just another Iceland nobody would care about.
    Is that you John Bruton? Welcome to p.ie

Quote Originally Posted by Angelander View Post
    I believe Britain (especially England) to be the best thing that ever happend to the world. No other country gave us so many positive things as Britain did. What would Ireland and its singers, writers etc. be without the english language? Just another Iceland nobody would care about.
    We Irish do make such better use of the language, that's for sure.

There's a great Irish song called the Butchers Apron that you should listen to about England's World achievments.

The point I was making, and remember I wasn't the one comparing the two situations, is that it is the flag itself, not who it represents that is at issue. In Ireland we have had the union flag fly over our public buildings, and we did not consider it the most positive experience in our history. The Union flag flying from mast thus has very negative connotations and it is probably because of those connotations that many establishments refuse to fly it now.
    Ok, I can understand that.

I think maybe the OP is also asking, intentionally or otherwise, if viewing the union flag in the light of history is perhaps a refelction of an out dated attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Eire1976 View Post
    We Irish do make such better use of the language, that's for sure.

There's a great Irish song called the Butchers Apron that you should listen to about England's World achievments.
    Yes, you love Ireland so much you abandoned it

Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 43 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment