Register to Comment
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Twitter
    @

NSPCC to provide Helpline for paedophiles

The NSPCC, a British children's charity, will launch a phone helpline for pedophiles tomorrow. The emergency number - aimed at talking convicted pedophiles who have served their sentences and been released from jail out of striking again - will be manned around the clock by trained counselors. Source

Knowing the recidivist nature of these people sure some kind of enforced isolation - or barring orders - from entering areas where there are vulnerable communities would work better. The NSPCC themselves admit that these people remain a threat to children on release from prison.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Eh, hello, my name is Father Seamus O'Kiddiefiddler and I was wondering if there are any jobs goin', like ? I've got my own flat and mobile phone.

Couldn't resist.

Productive move, if it helps one paedophile not to act on his or her disturbing urge and a child is saved from abuse, then it should be seen as a success. Good OP and I hope this thread doesn't descend into the usual 'hang them up by the balls' replies. It's a serious problem, particularly in this country and it needs addressed in a mature and productive way.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew49 View Post
    The NSPCC, a British children's charity, will launch a phone helpline for pedophiles tomorrow. The emergency number - aimed at talking convicted pedophiles who have served their sentences and been released from jail out of striking again - will be manned around the clock by trained counselors. Source

Knowing the recidivist nature of these people sure some kind of enforced isolation - or barring orders - from entering areas where there are vulnerable communities would work better. The NSPCC themselves admit that these people remain a threat to children on release from prison.
    Worth a try. Not going to be popular amongst victims but anything which stops another victim being abused is to be welcomed.

The only question i would have is, if they are so likely to commit crime again and given the serious nature of the offense, should they not be locked up and have the key thrown away on a second offense?

Same goes for rapists and murderers. Once a bad mistake, twice is the end of your freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by theloner View Post
    Good OP and I hope this thread doesn't descend into the usual 'hang them up by the balls' replies. It's a serious problem, particularly in this country and it needs addressed in a mature and productive way.
    Lovely sentiment, but how exactly do you intend to address this issue - paedos can't be treated, if your brain sees a 5 year old girl as a sexy bit of stuff who is gagging for it, no amount of group hugs or discussions is going to change your mind.

Remember seeing a louis theroux in california where they lock them up indefinitely in a 'hospital'. Lot to be said for that approach.

One of the problems with paedophiles is their denial. They cannot front up and see the evil of what they did. Normal people amongst us cannot imagine their mindset and I would bet the NCPCC would find that mind set very hard to break down.
    I recently spoke to some who teach in jails. They said the paedophiles are very manipulative, playing one off against the other for some petty advantage or other.
    We see the female paedophiles recently arrested and convicted in England who won't even say which children they molested.
    We can think of Ian Brady and Moira Hindley who would not say where the last of their victims is buried.
    We even see this in the Irish Presidential election where the perverse is reballed as normal.

The mind is a very strange thing and those who are beyond the pale are well beyond the cognition of most of us.

Quote Originally Posted by bob3344 View Post
    Lovely sentiment, but how exactly do you intend to address this issue - paedos can't be treated, if your brain sees a 5 year old girl as a sexy bit of stuff who is gagging for it, no amount of group hugs or discussions is going to change your mind.

Remember seeing a louis theroux in california where they lock them up indefinitely in a 'hospital'. Lot to be said for that approach.
    Actually, isolating a convicted sex offender hugely increases the risk of repeat offences. I know alcoholics who say that they would have found it impossible to stay on the wagon if it were NOT for the meetings and support from others, I don't see why the same shouldn't be the case for child molestors. Thoroughly sensible move by the NSPCC.

Where would mandatory reporting fit into the work of a voluntary hot-line?

No particular agenda: it just strikes me as an interesting problem.

Quote Originally Posted by bob3344 View Post

Watched it and agree with you. As I said, a mature and productive approach.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment