Register to Comment
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree135Likes

Limerick Cork Motorway

Apologies if there's another thread about this, but it is now in the news as a DCU Economist is now objecting to the building of the motorway between Limerick and Cork.

A RESEARCHER WHOSE work has informed the upcoming national planning framework (NPF) has criticised plans for a motorway to connect Cork and Limerick.

Dr Edgar Morgenroth – Professor of Economics at DCU – said that plans for the €850 million motorway would undermine the proper growth of “second tier” cities in Ireland.

He rejected claims by An Taoiseach Leo Varadkar that the motorway would encourage the cities to grow faster.

Speaking on RTÉ’s Morning Ireland, Morgenroth said the motorway would not lead to the growth needed in cities like Cork and Limerick, but would instead lead to sprawl.
    DCU economist rejects Leo's insistence that Limerick-Cork motorway 'makes sense'

I'm unsure of his argument but I can tell from personal experience that the route from Cork to Limerick is shocking in some parts and would hardly be considered National Primary Road standard.
    If the motorway is not build, some by-passes should be considered at least.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

it would seem logical to have decent clockwise route from cork up the west cost

Why would you listen to an economist about road building?

I hope the work on the motorway between Cork and Limerick and between Dublin and Letterkenny starts this year. Doing one at a time would be a pain in the ass big time.

Quote Originally Posted by cozzy121 View Post
    Apologies if there's another thread about this, but it is now in the news as a DCU Economist is now objecting to the building of the motorway between Limerick and Cork.

DCU economist rejects Leo's insistence that Limerick-Cork motorway 'makes sense'

I'm unsure of his argument but I can tell from personal experience that the route from Cork to Limerick is shocking in some parts and would hardly be considered National Primary Road standard.
    I don't understand his argument at all. This road is long overdue.

Quote Originally Posted by silverharp View Post
    it would seem logical to have decent clockwise route from cork up the west cost
    I thought that the whole point of this road, apart from connecting the second and third biggest cities in the state, was to be a part of the "Atlantic Corridor" from Sligo down to Rosslare.

i can see his point about not having junctions every five kilometres, but i would have thought that having the motorway connect to Mallow and having a 'spur' coming out from Mallow into Kerry would ensure that most places along the west weren't that far from a motorway.

Quote Originally Posted by cozzy121 View Post

This motorway is long overdue - the current road is not fit for purpose - it's incredible that it is the main route between our second and third cities.

Seriously its 2018 and there still isnt a motorway link between the 2nd and 3rd cities of this state how laughable.

Morgenroth is right. The unintended consequence of excessive road-building is urban decay and sprawl.

Improved road links can turn third rate cities into fifth-rate cities.

Dublin's Luas is an example of smart public investment. It boosts urbanisation efficiency instead of reducing it.

The current route desperately needs an upgrade, even if not to motorway standard.

Should it be a motorway?

There are a few things to note here
    - The route already takes more traffic than some existing motorways (the M17, the M9 south of Kilkenny, the M3 north of Navan)
    - The Cork-Mallow section is especially busy and is by some margin the busiest extra-urban single-carriageway road.
    - Unlike a lot of our motorways, it won't be paralleling a rail line (aside from between Cork and Mallow)
    - It's a very important road for freight to Cork Port
    - Upgrading the road to a lower than motorway standard may just lead to increased costs 20 years in future (e.g. the way we built a non-motorway Cahir bypass, only to upgrade it to motorway)

I can understand the point about not having too many junctions. We put far too many on our existing motorways. In practice, between Blarney and Patrickswell, there should probably be one at each of Mallow, Buttevant (although even this may be questionable), Charleville and Croom. We will probably see far more than that.

The other thing to note is that building an M20, without completing at least the Blarney-Glanmire section of the N40 is likely to lead to major traffic problems on the northside of Cork City and the rural areas just outside it. One cannot be built without the other.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment