Register to Comment
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree95Likes
    Twitter
    @

Used drive 110miles a day going to work. Tiring and dangerous on narrow back roads in winter. Would arrive happy to be alive....going and coming.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Hour plus commute each way to big Dublin hospital. Often see people in car park asleep in cars at 7am, I suspect they commute too and arrive early to avoid the traffic. The M50 is a fūcker.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Quirell View Post
    The country needs high speed trains. Galway - Dublin should be possible in an hour.

Lille/Brussels takes 35 minutes, Paris/Tours takes just over an hour.
    Pretty common mantra most places other than the few nations that do have it....

I do wonder about viability ....what % of passengers are daily users on established lines ( accpeting that it would take a while to grow as there is little logic to commuting to dublin from cork/ lmk/ galway today)? What are the prices like?

The midlands ( portlaoise?) to dublin by rail must be around an hour today....is there a big commuting community?

Quote Originally Posted by ted08 View Post
    25 mins walk or 7 mins by car or thereabouts. I don't know how people can put up with such long commutes. One of the women used to work in DunLaoghaire, commuting from Wexford. She took a demotion for the new job in Wexford and is well ahead financially despite pay cut, nevermind the much shorter trip to work. But the trend for long commutes is increasing.
    A lot of services/specialties/jobs are centred in the Big city, where accommodation isn't affordable.

lets say you live in Portarlington and work in dublin. Why not live with the homeless on the dublin streets for 4 nights per week, and only commute home at the weekends. that's what i would do.

Quote Originally Posted by gerhard dengler View Post
    I know a lad from Waterford City who commutes to Dublin by train on a daily basis.
    He works for the DSW.

I know someone else who commutes from just outside New Ross to Guinness's (Diageo) on a daily basis by car.
    It appears that even extreme distance commuting by Public Transport qualifies for tax relief at up to 52%.

https://www.taxsaver.ie/Commuters/An...et-Conditions/

Dublin badly needs a retired person tax to move non workers out of Dublin and to make room for commuters.

I saw the weather on the news the other day and they had Cork marked (interesting they didn't seem to have any border for NI anymore either) and I was surprised how far away it was from Dublin.

I don't know why but I had the idea it was on the east coast like Dublin, just further down.

Certainly that looks an awful commute!

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto Jordan View Post
    Pretty common mantra most places other than the few nations that do have it....

I do wonder about viability ....what % of passengers are daily users on established lines ( accpeting that it would take a while to grow as there is little logic to commuting to dublin from cork/ lmk/ galway today)? What are the prices like?

The midlands ( portlaoise?) to dublin by rail must be around an hour today....is there a big commuting community?
    At the moment I take the LILLe/Brussels train on a daily basis. It's full every morning and evening. There several each way becayse the route is served by the TGV, the Thalys and the Eurostar. The monthly abonnement costs €272 and each trip costs €3, so in a 20 working-day month €392, a little over €9 per trip. That guarantees me an allocated seat and Wi-Fi. We all recognise each other with nods, there is a 7:32 community and a distinct 9:08 community! There are some commuters who are couples and who may not have been allocated adjacent seats; It's frequent on boarding one of them will have taken your seat and will ask whether you can take their one with a simple ticket swap.

There are similar cross-border daily transits along the boarders, but they into Luxembourg or Switzerland or wherever. Brussels and Luxembourg are not very cheap.

Some of my colleagues live so far away as to make the commute impossible so they rent. The permanant staff all seem to have daily commutes exceeding mine.

I guess that all of this relies strongly on economies of scale and may not apply at all to Ireland. It would be a dream if something like that could be done, tough.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr Peter McWhinger View Post
    Dublin badly needs a retired person tax to move non workers out of Dublin and to make room for commuters.
    Yup, take them away from all of their closest friends and family. That will work.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment