Register to Comment
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Have friends who work in Chicago, the drive is 3 hours each way 6 days a week. Personally, I think they are mad, but that is their choice.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by dizillusioned View Post
    Have friends who work in Chicago, the drive is 3 hours each way 6 days a week. Personally, I think they are mad, but that is their choice.
    Is it a long term arrangement?

I read an interview wit the beautician Bronwyn Conroy a few years ago when the HSS ran out of Dun Laoghaire. She owned at the time a property in North Wales and she used to frequently go back and forth to Holyhead on the Stena HSS during the boom to work with Dublin.

Quote Originally Posted by gleeful View Post
    I have friends in Tipp, a couple. Each morning one drives to Limerick and the other to Dublin. 5 days a week.

The are mad.
    I drove from Monaghan to Dublin daily for five weeks, which is doable if you work on the Northside. But since I had to traverse the M50 and pay for the privilege of sitting in my car for an hour each morning it wasn't doable. Basically Sleeping, driving and working. Not feasible. I now stay in Kildare midweek. Worst occasion was leaving home before 6am and getting to the office at 12pm due to an accident on the M50 which meant I sat there for three and a half hours.

25 mins walk or 7 mins by car or thereabouts. I don't know how people can put up with such long commutes. One of the women used to work in DunLaoghaire, commuting from Wexford. She took a demotion for the new job in Wexford and is well ahead financially despite pay cut, nevermind the much shorter trip to work. But the trend for long commutes is increasing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bertie's Hat View Post
    There was a very interesting Irish Times article two weeks ago as part of a series about commuters.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-...96003?mode=amp

It turns out that there are people commuting from Limerick (city and rural) to Dublin city centre by train five days a week, and even people from Cork (doesn't specify where). The series has since highlighted long commutes to Dublin from other spots like Craigavon, South Armagh, Offaly and Ballinasloe. It sounds very long and draining and not something I'd sign up for.

Is anyone aware of, or maybe doing, a "super commute"? I wonder if anyone is doing Waterford or Belfast to Dublin daily.

35 min walk to the office myself.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk
    I remember during the boom , the sh1ter rhymes interviewing "ballsy" people who were "snapping up" properties in the "commuter belt " and informing us all that commuting for hours each way daily is the new normal . The Irish media never misses an opportunity to screw the public

Many countries have 1hr to 90 mins commutes as normal.

Never pleasant. A short commute has a massive health and mental benefit.

Mine is 45 mins but incorporates a school run. In summer it can be 20 mins. I consider myself lucky.

Know a few who have accommodation in Dublin to facilitate this mid week. Still a slog.

A short commute literally changes your life. It's like you get an extra half a day everyday.
    Last edited by Sister Mercedes; 12th September 2017 at 04:13 PM.

The country needs high speed trains. Galway - Dublin should be possible in an hour.

Lille/Brussels takes 35 minutes, Paris/Tours takes just over an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Gin Soaked View Post
    Many countries have 1hr to 90 mins commutes as normal.

Never pleasant. A short commute has a massive health and mental benefit.

Mine is 45 mins but incorporates a school run. In summer it can be 20 mins. I consider myself lucky.

Know a few who have accommodation in Dublin to facilitate this mid week. Still a slog.
    If there is adequate public transport, the commute isn't a problem. You can switch off, sleep, do a crossword, read the paper etc. In Ireland, that's not the case if you live in a rural area.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment