Register to Comment
Page 2 of 107 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Like Tree448Likes

Twitter
    @

I'd never cycle on the pavement. It is too bloody dangerous with all them pedestrians wandering straight out of shop doorways without looking either right or left. No such thing as 'yield right of way'.

No you won't catch me taking my life in my hands by cycling on the pavement. Not unless I'm extremely drunk anyway.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Thought motor tax paid for water? That was one of the anti water charges arguements?

Regarding cyclists, I'd like registration plates so you could ticket the lunatic fringe element. Bikes are almost impossible to catch in an urban environment.

Politically toxic though. Can only imagine the protests.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbit v2 View Post
    Maybe 50 euro per pedestrian per annum while you're at it. Makes about as much sense.
    Pretty much took the words out of my mouth. Two further points -

1. How do you enforce it?
    2. If the trend is to reduce pollution through vehicle taxation then taxing bicycles makes no sense whatsoever.

When is Noonan going to Adjust taxes to punish the roads biggest toxic nuisance. DIESEL.
    The thing that's harming motorists, Walkers and cyclists a like.

And then when the Gardai/Gansters(insurance companies) come up with a way of ridding the roads of the thousands without Motor Tax/Insurance.

And of course when the laws are changed to put people in Gaol that murder other road users. You know the drivers that kill all other road users and get a few months in prison for doing so.

I'll be the first in the cue to pay a cycling tax. The tax you want me to pay for being on the part of the road that's rarely cleaned, has sunken drains, the part that suffers almost no damage from me being there etc.

But in all honesty as a reasonable non militant cyclist, I'd pay a tax to end the argument, if that money was used to prosecute/teach all bad road users and make it safe for all.

Quote Originally Posted by The Field Marshal View Post
    Cyclists must start to pay the costs of road provision and maintenance.

They all benefit enormously from the hugely expensive road infrastructure yet do not contribute anything at all.
    Expensive, but not cycle-friendly road infrastructure.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscurito View Post
    I'd be happy to see them observe the rules of the road for starters.

(And stay off the effing pavements..!)
    A driver almost doored me a few weeks ago and told me I shouldn't be on the road, I should be on the footpath.

He was parked in the cycle lane

Twitter
    @

There's going to be a lot more of the bicycularly and velocipedally agile about in years to come. If you look carefully at the amount of those bicycle bays that are appearing hither and yon in the urban environment around the cities mostly because city authorities know that they are going to have to drive vehicular traffic out of city centres because of the toxic levels of carcinogenic materiel they produce in the air then it is the coming thing.

In a few decades there will be nostalgic photos in the papers showing traffic going around Leicester Square and Piccadilly in London and young people will be bemused by them.

O'Connell Street up and across the bridge and to TCD and thereabouts will be awash with the bipedular and bicycularly agile. It will be like Beijing in the 1980s.

Last edited by Lumpy Talbot; 22nd February 2017 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by realistic1 View Post
    We should be encouraging cyclists not penalising them.
    Cyclists are getting all the benefits of our road infrasrtructure without paying a single penny toward its upkeep.

That they are now being asked to make a modest contribution is NOT a penalty merely fair play.

Twitter
    @

Cyclists are getting all the benefits of our road infrasrtructure without paying a single penny toward its upkeep.

That they are now being asked to make a modest contribution is NOT a penalty merely fair play.
    What about unicyclists? Would they have to pay less or apply periodically for a rebate?

Cyclists are getting all the benefits of our road infrasrtructure .....
    Let me stop you right there.....

Page 2 of 107 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment