Register to Comment
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree118Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan2010 View Post
    but again Ireland is losing young people compared to a country like Germany. The makeup of drivers on Irish roads will have changed in the last 5 years.
    But there's also been a huge influx of drivers from countries where driving habits would be less restrained?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

I've found that drink-driving is big social taboo in Generation-X unlike Baby Boomers where it is much more socially acceptable.

Keep up the good work everybody and stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Shqiptar View Post
    I suppose if you can show that bad drivers are more likely to emigrate and that recent Irish emigrants are disproportionately responsible for RTAs in the USA, Canada, Australia etc. then you might be on to something.

Whatcha got?
    Well do we export more ''young'' drivers than ''old'' drivers ? Funny how young drivers get charged higher premiums yet many old drivers got their licence without even having to sit a test ( or a vastly easier test)

Quote Originally Posted by fionnmccool View Post
    Well do we export more ''young'' drivers than ''old'' drivers ?
    Older drivers are as likely to cause accidents as young ones. Remember Sylvie Barrett's amnesty? Some older drivers have never passed a test!

Quote Originally Posted by fionnmccool View Post
    Well do we export more ''young'' drivers than ''old'' drivers ? Funny how young drivers get charged higher premiums yet many old drivers got their licence without even having to sit a test ( or a vastly easier test)
    But by definition the older drivers have much more experience behind the wheel. IMHO, passing a test is one skill, being a safe driver is entirely different.

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    Drink driving laws...penalty points...more road checks...all helps.
    Don't forget also, people are driving less. Spending most of my time abroad, i see a massive decrease in traffic when i am home compared to 4 years ago.

The roads have improved no end, anyone remember what it was like driving on the Naas duel-carrageway in the 70's? you would want eyes in the back of your head to get from A to B.
    At least the FF'rs got something right.

Quote Originally Posted by dizillusioned View Post
    Don't forget also, people are driving less. Spending most of my time abroad, i see a massive decrease in traffic when i am home compared to 4 years ago.
    I seem to notice that there are now far fewer Eastern Europeans than there were 5/6 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by dizillusioned View Post
    See earlier post about RTA deaths per billion vehicle-km. That takes into account whether people are driving more or less.

Ireland: one of the safest countries in the world in which to drive.

Darwinian selection, all the real idiots have managed to kill themselves or be rendered incapable of driving.

New rules and enforcement of the old ones have helped as has a reduction in disposable income, people just can't afford a new set of tyres every month from doing doughnuts in the Aldi car park, or wheel spinning away from every junction, or fitting expensive modifications to their Corsa.

The car is a tool now to get from A to B and not a toy to go playing with your mates of an evening.

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment