Register to Comment
Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 345
Like Tree118Likes
  1. #11
    ruserious ruserious is offline
    ruserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    30,558

    The death rate is 1/3 that on US roads. For all the criticism we throw at the government, they are doing something right here and let's hope it improves.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #12
    Dylan2010 Dylan2010 is offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,657

    Would like to see more analysis, we know accidents have a demographic component but what about income? maybe we are exporting the wide boy bad drivers to Australia and pricing po' folk off the road?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #13
    fionnmccool fionnmccool is offline
    fionnmccool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    7,856

    One of the safest countries yet probably the most expensive for car insurance. Ireland is truly a country of contrasts.

    Perhaps fewer accidents is because there are fewer people on the roads lately. Drivers and highly salaried ''educators'' cannot take any responsibility for more and better roads paid for out of the extortionate taxes of drivers. It is impossible for many people to afford the extortionate taxes on a car and on it's fuel. Sure isn't even bathing a ''luxury'' for the plebs. Expect a soap tax to follow.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #14
    Shqiptar Shqiptar is offline
    Shqiptar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    6,741

    Quote Originally Posted by fionnmccool View Post
    One of the safest countries yet probably the most expensive for car insurance. Ireland is truly a country of contrasts.

    Perhaps it is because there are fewer people on the roads lately. It is impossible for many people to afford the extortionate taxes on a car and on it's fuel. Sure isn't even bathing a ''luxury'' for the plebs. Expect a soap tax to follow.
    Nope. Going by the deaths by 1 billion vehicle-km. we come out even better.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #15
    FakeViking FakeViking is offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,146

    Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    The death rate is 1/3 that on US roads. For all the criticism we throw at the government, they are doing something right here and let's hope it improves.
    But over there the prospective Organ Donors like to ride their Harley Davidsons sans helmet, to show how macho they are.

    And I agee, job well done, congrats to all (even the FFers) responsible.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #16
    Dylan2010 Dylan2010 is offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,657

    Quote Originally Posted by Shqiptar View Post
    Nope. Going by the deaths by 1 billion vehicle-km. we come out even better.
    but again Ireland is losing young people compared to a country like Germany. The makeup of drivers on Irish roads will have changed in the last 5 years.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #17
    fionnmccool fionnmccool is offline
    fionnmccool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    7,856

    Quote Originally Posted by Shqiptar View Post
    Nope. Going by the deaths by 1 billion vehicle-km. we come out even better.
    How many thousands of former drivers emigrated recently ? Did we export all the bad drivers ? Does someone suddenly become a good driver after years of being a bad one ?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #18
    Shqiptar Shqiptar is offline
    Shqiptar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    6,741

    Quote Originally Posted by fionnmccool View Post
    How many thousands of former drivers emigrated recently ? Did we export all the bad drivers ? Does someone suddenly become a good driver after years of being a bad one ?
    I suppose if you can show that bad drivers are more likely to emigrate and that recent Irish emigrants are disproportionately responsible for RTAs in the USA, Canada, Australia etc. then you might be on to something.

    Whatcha got?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #19
    Shqiptar Shqiptar is offline
    Shqiptar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    6,741

    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan2010 View Post
    but again Ireland is losing young people compared to a country like Germany. The makeup of drivers on Irish roads will have changed in the last 5 years.
    Remember.....you're trying to account for a 66% drop in RTA deaths since 2001.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #20
    ruserious ruserious is offline
    ruserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    30,558

    Quote Originally Posted by fionnmccool View Post
    How many thousands of former drivers emigrated recently ? Did we export all the bad drivers ? Does someone suddenly become a good driver after years of being a bad one ?
    Drink driving laws...penalty points...more road checks...all helps.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment