Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Proposed changes to Penalty points

Proposed increase in penalty points - The Irish Times - Tue, Jun 12, 2012

Highlights of the proposal include:

No seatbelt : 6 points (was 2)
    Mobile Phone: 4 Points (was 2)
    Dangerous overtaking & Speeding: 3 up from 2

Also, reciprocal arrangement with NI (no more Mad max "Nordies" on the M1 - )

Now, I always wear my seatbelt, but not wearing one only puts ME at risk* (and i know I could be a burden on the state etc...)

Using a mobile or dangerous overtaking puts others at risk.

I know the seatbelt thing is deliberate and premeditated but still.

Not sure about NCT dropping from 5 to 3 points though. I'd favour 5 points for serious failures concerning the safety, but emissions failures or airbag failures, well that should be just a fine.

*unless you are going so hard you are using the belt as a harness, keeping you in the seat.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

It proposes new powers too for gardaí to impound and sell uninsured cars
    I completely agree with this one. It should apply to untaxed cars and cars without a valid NCT too. That brings us into line with the north/UK.

Does this mean the maximum points allowed before a ban increase also to match NI? If so this is simply nothing more thsn us matching the British system dressed up as something more when its not.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew View Post
    Now, I always wear my seatbelt, but not wearing one only puts ME at risk* (and i know I could be a burden on the state etc...).
    But then the state and through that the Irish people have to pay for your medical treatment after you go flying out the windscreen.

That's the problem with the whole harm prinicple, state funded health care.
    Last edited by Rocky; 12th June 2012 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neutron View Post
    Does this mean the maximum points allowed before a ban increase also to match NI? If so this is simply nothing more thsn us matching the British system dressed up as something more when its not.
    How is being dressed up?

Now, I always wear my seatbelt, but not wearing one only puts ME at risk* (and i know I could be a burden on the state etc...)
    Can't post links, But I'm sure you'll get the reference,

*Body to body, funk to funky, we know how to rock your body*
    Three dead in this vehicle, girl is critical. They say that a guy without a seat belt did the damage.
    I want to end with a smiley but it seems inappropriate.

One of the changes proposed is to reduce the points for dangerous parking

Driving offences to see penalty points increase | Irish Examiner

Apparently, Leo Varadkar said "it was wrong for dangerous parking to carry a five-point penalty when not wearing a seatbelt results in two points on the driving licence".

However, as you point out, not wearing a seat belt only really presents a problem for the person not wearing a seat belt.

On the other hand, only last weekend, I saw an (admittedly non-serious) accident between two cars that was 90% caused by a car that had parked on double-yellows on a junction blocking visibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    How is being dressed up?
    If the maximum points before disqualification is increased to match the UK then this is just the same system we already had.

I do find it strange that not wearing a seatbelt will come with more points than using a mobile phone when driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Neutron View Post
    Sure that's how we get most of our laws....follow what Britain did a few years ago

Also...in your signature..it should be "you're", not "your"

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew View Post
    Proposed increase in penalty points - The Irish Times - Tue, Jun 12, 2012

Highlights of the proposal include:

No seatbelt : 6 points (was 2)
    Mobile Phone: 4 Points (was 2)
    Dangerous overtaking & Speeding: 3 up from 2

Also, reciprocal arrangement with NI (no more Mad max "Nordies" on the M1 - )

Using a mobile or dangerous overtaking puts others at risk.

I know the seatbelt thing is deliberate and premeditated but still.

Not sure about NCT dropping from 5 to 3 points though. I'd favour 5 points for serious failures concerning the safety, but emissions failures or airbag failures, well that should be just a fine.

*unless you are going so hard you are using the belt as a harness, keeping you in the seat.
    Actually I agree, with one proviso. Not wearing a seatbelt makes you into a missile that can do serious damage to other people in your car.

That aside, wearing a seatbelt is dangerous also. There is a wealth of statistical and behavioural data (read Risk) that indicates that people wearing seatbelts, rather than reducing risk, just transfer that risk to other road users, by consuming their benefit as increased performance rather than reducing negative outcomes, to use the industry jargon.

I do think that there is a case for a strong differentiation between risky behaviour which puts the beneficiary at risk, and behaviour that imposes that risk on others.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment