Register to Comment
Page 1 of 14 123 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Galway Airport workers occupy airport after BOI take 1 million from Bank account

Thanks to the corrupt influence of Dublin and the D4 elite, Gaway airport is about to close. The disgraceful actions of BOI are shocking. This airport in 2007 had a passenger numbers of over 300,000 and 15 routes. Dublin wont be happy until we west of Ireland people are living in mud huts. Knock is next on their list!

THE REMAINING STAFF at Galway Airport began a sit-in last night in attempts to guarantee the payment of their redundancy packages when their contracts cease later this month.
    Fears that they would not receive their statutory redundancies grew yesterday as the company which operates the airport failed to guarantee that funds would be available for the payments.
    Funding from the Government was initially earmarked to pay the remaining 14 staff but some of this money has since been removed from the company’s deposit account by Bank of Ireland to offset loans.
    “The money from the government was given for a specific reason. That was taxpayers money earmarked for statutory redundancy payments,” he said.
    When news of the Bank of Ireland move came out over the weekend, the workers asked for the payments to be brought forward.
    Of the €1.6 million the airport had in its account, €1.1 million was transferred to offset against its term loans, leaving €500,000 to cover redundancy payments as well as ongoing operations.

Galway airport workers begin sit-in to ensure redundancy payments · TheJournal.ie
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Piece by piece the country disappears in a black whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandeady View Post
    Thanks to the corrupt influence of Dublin and the D4 elite, Gaway airport is about to close. The disgraceful actions of BOI are shocking. This airport in 2007 had a passenger numbers of over 300,000 and 15 routes. Dublin wont be happy until we west of Ireland people are living in mud huts. Knock is next on their list!

Galway airport workers begin sit-in to ensure redundancy payments · TheJournal.ie
    I hope that there're some 'planes on the tarmac that can be held to ransom.

Incidentally there's no need for the Dublin/Dublin 4 crap.

€500k among 14 is around 35,000 each in redundency...how much were they supposed to get cos thats an entire years average annual salery and seems like loads?

Thanks to the corrupt influence of Dublin and the D4 elite, Gaway airport is about to close.
    Yeh, nowhere in Dublin has poor services or been the subject of cuts. Its a golden paradise out here, and we whack off each night thinking of how superior we are to honest god fearing hard working country folk.

Maybe you ought to take the f*c*ing chip off your shoulder about Dublin people considering the govt that runs the country and takes all the decisions is headed by a western country man from Mayo heading a party you all voted for in droves, not a cabal of evil Dubs.
    You might also consider the wealthy areas of Dublin pay most of the taxes for all the pork barrel projects in roads and other local sweeties the brain dead Independent TDs you send up here to hold our govts to ransom demand and without our cash to fund stuff like that you'd be far worse off.
    You might also remember that every few years DUBLIN ministers go to bat for you in WTO and EU trade talks to gaurentee your farm subsidies even at the expense of making farmers in other countries starve to death as a result of the protectionism we negoatiate for you.

Maybe instead of creating artifical divisons between the mythical evil Dublin elite and the rest you might loose the inferiority complex and instead appeal to us Dubs as your fellow workers for a bit of solidarity since we too are getting screwed by the likes of Bank of ireland?

You get more flys with honey and all that...
    Last edited by TropicalCandy; 7th February 2012 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Quirell View Post
    Incidentally there's no need for the Dublin/Dublin 4 crap.
    The fact that the three most senior ministers in the Cabinet are from, in order of importance, Mayo, Galway and Limerick appears to be lost on the OP.

Could Galway Airport's problems be more to do with its limited runway and facilities, the fact there are two larger international airports within an hour's drive of it, the new motorway puts Dublin Airport less than two hours drive away, the drop in demand for flights due to the recession and the fact the country is broke and can no longer afford to subsidise loss-making small airports?

Just wondrin...?

How does BOI justify their actions towards Galway Airport staff and then put stuff like this on their website???

"Corporate Responsibility is about the contribution a business makes to its social and environmental concerns as well as its economic ones. At Bank of Ireland, these wider responsibilities have always been important to us, but never more so than today in what are extraordinarily difficult times for all our stakeholders - the stockholders who invest in us, the Irish Government which has provided essential supports to us, our customers who bank with us, our employees who work for us, the communities in which we do business and environment in which we live."

[QUOTE=Islandeady;4914037]Thanks to the corrupt influence of Dublin and the D4 elite, Gaway airport is about to close. The disgraceful actions of BOI are shocking. This airport in 2007 had a passenger numbers of over 300,000 and 15 routes. Dublin wont be happy until we west of Ireland people are living in mud huts. Knock is next on their list!

Really,you want to blame Dublin for this..don't get me wrong,i hope the workers are successful in their fight but to say Dublin has an agenda against the west of the country is taking it a little bit far.lets not forget its a man from the west who is taoiseach and a president from the same region and do you not think by trying to blame this on Dublin you take from the real story of workers fighting for their redundancy.sometimes i feel that the percieved divide between rural & urban is the real reason we will always struggle against the elites in the country

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Jack View Post
    The fact that the three most senior ministers in the Cabinet are from, in order of importance, Mayo, Galway and Limerick appears to be lost on the OP.
    Precisely - Isn't Enda Kenny from Islandeady (the name of the opening poster)?

this is a perfect example of why we should just get rid of all redundancy payments- there is absolutely no need for any of them and im yet to hear any argument to suggest they are necessary.

Galway airport has closed because stupid politicians actually listened to a few locals who didnt want a services centre to service planes at the airport - hence the airport was not viable as a commercial entity. so if anyone out west wants anyone to blame for this there are a number of houses in the locality and i suggest you find out through the council who they are and thank them personally. The tax payer cannot keep an airpot open just to keep people happy when it is completely non viable. blame the government etc all you want but this airport has 100% closed because of a few locals who didnt want people working in a sound proof hanger at nite as there may be noise or lights (in a sound proof hanger thats impossible but thats the reason given). this is the main problem in irelan a few people can cause so much damage- i mean just look to the corrib gas field- a few dozen people have cost the tax payer almost 50 million in policing costs- its a disgrace. as recently on matt cooper the amercian lad he has on said that he couldnt believe that in ireland we give so much attention to protestors as he said himself in the states a road would be build across the country and the public consultation would last an hour and then its case closed. i just wish we lived in such a place. another perfect example is the mining in leitrim- 100% needed yet a few crusties will ruin it on everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Irish&Annoyed View Post
    How does BOI justify their actions towards Galway Airport staff and then put stuff like this on their website???

"Corporate Responsibility is about the contribution a business makes to its social and environmental concerns as well as its economic ones. At Bank of Ireland, these wider responsibilities have always been important to us, but never more so than today in what are extraordinarily difficult times for all our stakeholders - the stockholders who invest in us, the Irish Government which has provided essential supports to us, our customers who bank with us, our employees who work for us, the communities in which we do business and environment in which we live."
    Yeh I don't know why companies bother putting crap like that up when they know they won't behave like that in practice.

My company has 2 pages on its website about how it loves its staff, and 4 paragraphs on how flexible they want to be with their roster for the staff to accomidate them.
    So I'm meant to come in on Sunday at 9. Trouble is the busses start at 9 on a sunday, so I ask if I can start at half 9 and finish a half hour later. No, get in at 9 or your fired. I explain that there is no physical way of me getting in when the bus does not start until 9. Know what this 'flexible' 'empowering' company with a 'dignity and respect' policy that valued its staff said? ''thats your problem not ours''

Why did they bother? I think it helps them sleep at night tbh, these people, I think they can lie to themselves with such mission statements and make beleive like they conduct their jobs in a moral fashon if they put sh1te like that up on their websites.

Page 1 of 14 123 11 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment