Register to Comment
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Jack View Post
    The fact that the three most senior ministers in the Cabinet are from, in order of importance, Mayo, Galway and Limerick appears to be lost on the OP.

Could Galway Airport's problems be more to do with its limited runway and facilities, the fact there are two larger international airports within an hour's drive of it, the new motorway puts Dublin Airport less than two hours drive away, the drop in demand for flights due to the recession and the fact the country is broke and can no longer afford to subsidise loss-making small airports?

Just wondrin...?
    I think it's the fact that the narrative on the bank statement read "Roysh, loike, we're going to loike so totally withdraw loike 1.1 million, roysh?"

I've also heard that the money was withdrawn from the nearest ATM to Kiely's.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by RobertW View Post
    Precisely - Isn't Enda Kenny from Islandeady (the name of the opening poster)?
    I never once mentioned the Government. BOI is of the Dublin elite, Dubliners such as Seanie Fitzpatrick and Bertie Ahern are the real reason. Never trust a Dub, especially in business. They will screw you at the opportunity. I learned that experience the hard way.

Don't be rediculous.

1. Galway Airport NEVER made money in it's entire history. It relied on HUGE FF Government Grants which are, thanks to the same FF, no longer available. During the height of the madness, Aer Arainn used run about 4 filights a DAY from Galway to Dublin return, which were, in my personal experience, never ever more than half full.

2. The airport is in the wrong place, plonked where the old aerodrome used be, servicing the Aran Islands. They cannot extend the runway to accomodate proper passenger jets which limits it's viability.

3. The motorway to dublin passes right by the runway. I can be from Salthill to Dublin City centre in under 2 hours.

4. The staff, unfortunately, are waisting their time. The airport has absolutely no future. The Chamber of Commerce, the plonkers, are the majority shareholders in the airport and will, ultimately, pay whatever is owed.

5. The million or so the banks confiscated in rather unsua circumstances is merely a side show. It would have kept the airport open for another few months.

Quote Originally Posted by corelli View Post
    Don't be rediculous.

1. Galway Airport NEVER made money in it's entire history. It relied on HUGE FF Government Grants which are, thanks to the same FF, no longer available. During the height of the madness, Aer Arainn used run about 4 filights a DAY from Galway to Dublin return, which were, in my personal experience, never ever more than half full.

2. The airport is in the wrong place, plonked where the old aerodrome used be, servicing the Aran Islands. They cannot extend the runway to accomodate proper passenger jets which limits it's viability.

3. The motorway to dublin passes right by the runway. I can be from Salthill to Dublin City centre in under 2 hours.

4. The staff, unfortunately, are waisting their time. The airport has absolutely no future. The Chamber of Commerce, the plonkers, are the majority shareholders in the airport and will, ultimately, pay whatever is owed.

5. The million or so the banks confiscated in rather unsua circumstances is merely a side show. It would have kept the airport open for another few months.

Dublin, Dublin, Dublin. Who cares if you can be to Dublin in less then 2.5 hours. Is this the reason it is closing?

Quote Originally Posted by Des Quirell View Post
    I think it's the fact that the narrative on the bank statement read "Roysh, loike, we're going to loike so totally withdraw loike 1.1 million, roysh?"

I've also heard that the money was withdrawn from the nearest ATM to Kiely's.
    OH FFSAKE!! Fine I confess roysh, I withdrew the dosh and blew half of it in kileys but in my defence there were some Welsh boys there and I was loike soooo totally morto loike about the match but then I rememberd that foul where Welshy planted our goy roysh into the ground roysh so I decided I was gonna thrash him but I needed some dutch courage so I had to take out more dosh, but course I wasn't gonna drink Dutch Gold like some knack and I HAD to show up the Welshys so I needed to take out enough dosh for a decent bottle of Cristal , but then I didn't wanna look cheap so I bought the house a few bottles to go around roysh then Tara came in and I been tryina hit that for yonks so I had to get her a bottle too and by the time I'd bought the Durex Gold I'd loike blown thru all the money coudn't even get a taxi back to Taras and was waiting at the DORT station for ages only to realise there ARE no nitelink DORTS how do the plebs survive...anyway...I'm totes morto over the dosh goys but I'm sure loike ye know the EU will give you another cheque for the potatos or whatever and you can do a collection for your airport and sure whatever. OMFG sooo sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Islandeady View Post
    Never trust a Dub, especially in business. They will screw you at the opportunity.
    I'm a Dub and I find that statement to be quite offensive to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister_Jinks View Post
    I'm a Dub and I find that statement to be quite offensive to be honest.
    If they don't wanna trust us, I suggest we withdraw all Dublin originate tax funds from all counties outside the greater Dublin area for one year. Divide the tax and spend pool into two seperate budgets, and then see how much they remember feeling oppressed by the Dubs when their hospitals and schools close for lack of money, no Bus Eireanns turn up, Irish Rail closes its loss making subsidied routes, pot holes start clocking up, theres no Coast Guard choppers to pluck their fishermen out of the watter and fam subsidies go bye bye.

I expect Dublin would start looking a whole lot better.

Dublin, Dublin, Dublin. Who cares if you can be to Dublin in less then 2.5 hours. Is this the reason it is closing?
    The reason it is closing is because it is completely unviable due the factors I and others like corelli have outlined.

It has nothing to do with 'Dublin'.

He gives you 5 perfectly logical reasons why the Airport is not viable...but again with the Dublin stuff...christ...

Its closing because its a dump, owned by the Galway Chamber of Commerce, subsidies paid to Aer Arann was the only why it was open, had to walk out to the plane once as they left our child's buggy on the floor, in the pissin rain, can't land a decent jet due to its tiny size... €50 to park for a week, git a cab for €15..

Shut it down...

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment