Register to Comment
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

We demand our rail line to Navan - FF gombeen booted out by the people of Meath

Fianna Fail's now Senator Thomas Byrne - rejected by the people of Meath in February - has demanded the govt deliver the Navan-Dublin rail line promised by his former ward boss Noel Dempsey.

Here's what he had to say today when FG pointed out that there was no money for a Hornby train set never mind a low priority rail link to Navan.

Byrne dismayed by Government attitude towards the Navan Rail Line

Meath Fianna Fáil Senator Thomas Byrne has today reacted with dismay to comments made by a Government Minister in Seanad Éireann following his tabling of a debate on the proposed Navan Rail Line.

Minister Ciaran Cannon, who was standing in for the Minister for Transport Leo Varadkar, basically told us that it is no longer a priority for this government to have a passenger rail line built from Navan to Dublin.

A review is taking place of all proposed capital projects within the state and until such time as this is completed, a decision on the railway line from Navan to our capital won’t be made.

Senator Byrne commented, “This is fundamentally in opposition to the position of the previous Fianna Fáil government, of which I was a member. We believed and still believe to this day that a railway line from Navan to Dublin will serve local communities and businesses very well by cutting down on commuting times, reducing pollution through a reduction in the number of cars on the road and aid the transport of materials for export via Dublin Port.

“I cannot understand the regressive logic of the new government. It is clear that this is a significant project in terms of making the North East more competitive and attractive as a business and manufacturing hub.

“We have already seen how beneficial the rail line from Dunboyne to Dublin has been to the local communities. The people of Navan and Dunshaughlin deserve to benefit just as much,” concluded Senator Byrne.
    Pure parish pump stuff from Dail reject Byrne - ignoring the rather obvious fact that the reason there is no money to build the Navan rail line, or any other rail line for that matter, is that FF FUBARed he economy and blew what cash we had on the banks.

If a slew of Cabinet ministers can't now deliver the Metro and Dart projects that will directly benefit their own constituencies, never mind the country as a whole, they're hardly in a position to throw a few hundred million around to satisfy the likes of Byrne.

The likes of Byrne and the rest of the FF**kers would be better advised to shut up for the next few years lest they remind people why we can't build major critical infrastructure projects for at least the next decade.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Vomit inducing.

TBH though, I don't think anyone buys this sort of stuff at the moment. They are just going through the motions. Billy Kelliher was the same on the news yesterday regarding the hospital services being reduced in Roscommon. SF and the Indo's are the only credible opposition right now.

Another DELUDED Fianna FAIL IMF Anglo broken promise

Get Tommy to pay for it himself. There is no demand from NAVAN TO DUBLIN.

Within about 12 months there will be nobody working in NAVAN.

If DELUDED Fianna FAIL IMF Anglo hadn`t overspent on the Luas & the Port Tunnel the rail link might have had a chance

Dempsey never heard about it - just like the arrival of the IMF ?

Grumpy Jack,

If you are from Meath I can I suppose understand why you would find his press release noteworthy on the site. I think generally FF are best left to be ignored though!

This is behaviour which we all expected from FF.

In the past two weeks Micheál Martin has been demanding action from Kenny to go and meet Sarkozy to demand a reduction in our bailout interest rate - the rate his Government negotiated and that he supported barely 7 months ago. Of course if there had been any sense of governing in the national interest when he was in Govt we wouldn't need a bailout.

He was also querying why there is to be no referendum on donations to political parties from private business.

Unbelievable and shameless stuff altogethef.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertW View Post
    This is behaviour which we all expected from FF.

In the past two weeks Micheál Martin has been demanding action from Kenny to go and meet Sarkozy to demand a reduction in our bailout interest rate - the rate his Government negotiated and that he supported barely 7 months ago. Of course if there had been any sense of governing in the national interest when he was in Govt we wouldn't need a bailout.

He was also querying why there is to be no referendum on donations to political parties from private business.

Unbelievable and shameless stuff altogethef.

Of course FF have no shame. Soon they will blame present gov for the crisis they created. I suppose Martin is not reading his briefs !

Quote Originally Posted by Darren J. Prior View Post
    Grumpy Jack,

If you are from Meath I can I suppose understand why you would find his press release noteworthy on the site. I think generally FF are best left to be ignored though!
    I'm not from Meath - I'm just highlighting more breathtaking hypocrisy and gombeen parish-pumpery from the people who banjaxed the country, wrecked the tax base, destroyed public services, eroded out competitiveness, pushed up wages and prices, robbed us of the chance to actually build badly-needed infrastructure and crushed the hopes of a few generations of people.

Don't get me wrong, I am a very strong supporter of the development of our rail infrastructure - and my posts on this forum are testament to that - and I believe there is a long-term need for a rail line to Navan.

But not before the priority rail projects for Dublin are delivered first - in the order of Dart Underground and Maynooth, Kildare, Drogheda line upgrades to Dart, Metro North, Metro West, Lucan and Broombridge Luas, Green line upgrade to Metro, Tallaght-Kimmage-SSG Metro, etc.

Navan-M3 Pace, like the Western Rail Corridor should be waydown the priority list and not subject to parish pump local interests.

But seeing as we can't/won't get critical projects where they are actually needed and will deliver massive economic benefits thanks to the mess FF have left us in, I think remaining FFers should STFU about this and all the other cuts the new govt will have to make over the next few years.

I'm still seething after that missive from Byrne landed in my inbox - they really have no shame.

Opposition politician puts Government under some pressure in local press by highlighting inaction on promised rail line, slew of P.ie posters demand explanation.

It's like this folks, for the best part of the last 24 years FG/Lab & politicians of various odds and sods have been demanding action on everything they knew they weren't going to get & now it's Tomo Byrne's turn to dish it out and FG/Labours turn to take it.

Try to get used to it, otherwise the next 4 years or so are going to be very upsetting for you and we wouldn't want that now, would we?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment